1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Houston Rockets or Golden State Warriors usher in the 3-point era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenVolumeOne, Aug 10, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

I ask this question because for some strange reason the rockets in particular sam hinkie, and daryl morey do not get credit for starting the 3 point era and the modern day focus on analytics like they should. The rockets were launching 30 3's a game with lin, parsons, marcus morris, and a young harden. I got into a debate on reddit about who started the 3 point boom in the NBA between the rockets and warriors and that thread was quickly deleted by mods lol

Back in 2013 the rockets i think set a then nba record againist the mark jackson coached warriors with 23 3 pointers made againist the curry/klay backcourt. The game ended with some fireworks as mark jackson instructed his bench to intentionally foul to prevent the rockets from setting the record. Im not for certain but this is also the game i believe the rockets/ warriors rivalry started. With a rookie draymond green and chandler parsons having some choice words for each other during the closing moments of that game

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226763/Parsons-Trash-Talking-Draymond-Green-Irrelevant

Here is the highlights from the game that I believe got the warriors to change their mindset and focus more on the 3 point shot. Especially when im sure their gm at the time realized that they were much more well equipped to run our philosophy than we were at the time with a young curry, klay, and to a lesser extent barnes. Its funny in the highlights the rockets players are running in the paint and completely ignoring the mid range kicking out to any 3 point shooter the warriors did not know how to defend us, and that's why we won a lot of those early battles with the warriors

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The good news is that although the rockets do not get credit for the 3 point era. The rockets are currently in the midst of re-revolutionizing the NBA yet again with their current small ball approach. If the rockets somehow win the title this year with no player taller than 6'7 in their starting lineup. Maybe we might see more and more teams copy the rockets approach like the warriors did with our 3-point approach. But this time nobody else would get credit for our success. We just have to win with it first

#1 HardenVolumeOne, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would love to win it all and have everyone copy smallball and devalue bigs even more.

We will just re-re-revolutionize the game some other way.

Small ball is a misnomer anyway, MDA/Morey value skill ball.

With all the devalued bigs, Morey will have his pick of taller/longer complementary players and rotation pieces that better fit our system.

Cannot wait.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Actually Rudy T did in 1993 / 1994 ;)

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Maybe not the first. Outside of Rudy and MDA, I think Don Nelson deserves some credit on trending the small ball and 3pt shooting before it became what it is.

jdiggidy, D-rock, rockbox and 2 others like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

It's all evolving and taking pieces from others to get to where we are today. Doug Moe's Nuggets and Don Nelson can be credited partially for small ball, run-and-gun style which incorporated 3pt shooting. Rudy T can then be credited for really taking that to surrounding a big man with 4 shooters and have a 3pt focus.

jdiggidy, D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I stopped caring what the media says... the proof is in the pudding. Darryl has time and time again broken the paradigms of how to run a basketball team. It’s a dynamic system with the most dynamic player in the game (James Harden) that exploits the league’s tendencies. The plan is - there is no plan. You make the problem part of the solution itself.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rockets took it to an extreme level, so I said the current rockets did.

D-rock likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree other coaches have been doing stuff like this. The D'Antoni Rockets are perhaps a more extreme example. George Karl's Sonics in the 80' and 90's did a lot of the things that we see the Rockets do now. Move their "Bigs" out to the three point line as set shooters and switch a lot on D. This is why they were the toughest team for the Dream Rockets to play. They would neutralize Dream's inside D by having him leave the paint to defend their center who be camped out far from the basket.

How GS plays reminds me most of the Rick Adelman Portland and Kings teams. A lot of ball movement and no true go to guy. There are aspects to the current Rockets like that too.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Suns were the 1st team to crack 10 made 3's a game in 05-06 which wasn't significant;y surpassed until 2014-15 Rockets averaged 11.4.

Currently, the Rockets are the only team to have hit 15 made 3's per game and they have done it 3 seasons in a row now.

EDIT - Dallas also made 15 3's per game this season.

D-rock likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Revolutionaries and crazies at that time.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes, it was clearly and obviously the Rockets. The Warriors had 4 all stars and the media licking their feet for the past 6 years, though. If we go anywhere with small ball, critics will argue it was already done with the .... deep breath because of how pretentious and stupid this name is.... "Hamptons five"

D-rock likes this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Both.

Warriors showed that it's possible to win with shooting in 15' and Rockets showed that it's possible to win consistently by jacking up an absurd amount of 3s, also killed the post game... but since the Rockets haven't actually won a title, people will give the Warriors all the credit.

D-rock and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rudy and Robert Horry started it all. Robert is still the prototypical small ball big.

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps not the very first but certainly the most successful and renown Stretch 4 ever.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's the guy that made it popular I guess. I take back about him being the prototypical small ball big. Larry Bird is the prototypical small ball big, but you can't really count a person that has a once in a lifetime skillset.

D-rock likes this.
  16. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

The 3 is more than 2 was a Rockets analytics thing. I think Warriors just get so much credit for shooting it so well with (Steph/KD/KT).

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

BINGO !!!

DD