1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Morey say CP3 signed up for 6 years?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This is from the 2017 Media day. At the 6:15 mark Morey lets it slip that cp3 committed to 6 years. He obviously didn't mean to say this but it shows the opt in was a wink wink deal he has a five year deal. On the back end. Morey has mentioned this other times as well but this was the most formal place I could find it.

luckyman76, bmd, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Nice. I'd rather lock it up and deal with the back end of the deal later. Maybe he wins one and retires on a high note.

5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

If we don't get LeBron, paying a 38 year old CP3 over $40 million is a franchise crippling move.

However, it may be good news regarding our chances at getting LeBron. I alluded to this point in another thread, but I think we are all overlooking the possibility that LeBron simply doesn't want to opt in to one more year at his age. He may be looking to cash out on a max, long-term deal with whatever team he's signing with. If the Rockets were to tell CP3 they aren't giving him his full 5 years (after he whiffed on a 5-year supermax to agree to an opt-in and trade), then LeBron faces that same situation next year with the Rockets.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

My apologies created two threads. One without the link. Maybe a mod could help me out.

8. jch1911

jch1911 Member

You sir, get a huge thumbs up for this find :)

TheRealAllpro, 523744 and DonKnock like this.
  9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

He's talking about James Harden. Very obvious too.

Marteen, Manos, Madmanmetz and 2 others like this.
  10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

FAKE NEWS lock it up!

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

like Clutch said, theyre talking about James Harden. Listen to the whole thing. Theyre answering a question about what JH's approach to the offseasons and the team to get better and how they view him.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Right. Question starts at 3:55 about the "drive James Harden brings" and how he wants to keep getting better.

D'Antoni answers first, then Morey takes the question. Morey is always talking about Harden. Here is the full quote:

"I'd say on my side, someone who is willing to say 'hey, let's figure out how to keep making the team better. I'm going to meet with players.' And then you bring up something like 'Hey, what about Chris Paul?' And he knows that may take a, to coach's point, a role change, and he says, 'hey, let's just get the best players because the only thing that matters is winning a championship.' And then 'hey, let's maybe do that move as a trade' so that we can add PJ Tucker, get Nene back, Mbah a Moute and Tarik Black and all the guys we added as well, to maximize that. It says a lot. He's both on and off the court trying to do whatever it takes. Really it's been such a great partnership with him in terms of him also signing for six years just really shows his level of commitment to what he wants to do for the Rockets and the city of Houston."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.