1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did morey make the right move now? (Hindsight)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. rockets13champs

M

#1 rockets13champs, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    roslolian, seeingred, D-rock and 14 others like this.
  2. rockets13champs

This shows Nene needs to play more and cp3 not a great defender

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What do the numbers represent? What stat is this?

ak99999, dreamshakin, JamesC and 6 others like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Talk about oversimplification...
    • It's easy to put all your effort into D when you play less than 15 minutes every other game and are expected to do literally nothing on offense beyond the occasional put back bucket or roll to the rim. Case in point, Nene is NOT a better defender than Capela, but is ranked higher.
    • CP3 may have lost a couple of steps on D, but he is still a much better perimeter and help defender than Harden. The reason why Harden spends so much time in the post on D (outside of him being actually good at it) is because CP3 and Ego / Tucker / House / Shump is picking up the slack on the perimeter so we can hide Harden on D.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm pondering the same.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

You can not try to convince people by saying "because statistically" but not explaining what statistics you are using.

7. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

You mean by getting rid of Ennis? Yes, he did. No hindsight needed though.

lnchan and pr0wler like this.
  8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Chris Paul gets shot over quite a bit, but he plays great team defense.

jboslett and Deckard like this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That twitter handle just posted this:

I don't where they are pulling their numbers from. The whole handle seems sketchy.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am always skeptical about using one number to rank individual defense. I don't think that number exists. Heck, I don't even think a single number for ranking individual offense exists.

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Ariza has stopped trying and is now about getting paid the big bucks. If he were playing on the Rockets I'm sure he would be giving more effort.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Uh, what are these numbers, what are they based on, and how were they calculated?

jcf likes this.
  13. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Arizona ain’t got no Ocean

14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol all that research n it's as easily as luc was hurt this year so that one was right.....n no matter what ariza did this year he wasnt worth 15 mil a year. We knew this much as soon as they left it was the right move

Patience likes this.
  15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

If you look in the comments, you see they were being sarcastic hence beach house in Arizona

16. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

I've always thought that as soon as Ariza left, especially for 15M per season, that it was the right decision. This is a perfect example of "buy low, sell high" in markets. In this case, you get a guy for cheap and get max value for 4 seasons. Then while everyone else jumps on board...you "sell" by not re-signing him and move on to the next value pick. You have to beat the market, similar to how we did with James Harden, and to a certain extent PJ Tucker, not overpay for a player exiting his prime after another team has already discovered his value.

I was always confused that James Ennis was considered a good defender, at least on the Rockets I thought that he was good at deflecting passes but he seemed really slow and borderline statuesque. Maybe it's injuries, age, who knows...but ya definitely didn't love him on the defensive end in his brief stint on the Rockets. Harden has been great on post defense, which over inflates any kind of metrics because he's still pretty bad/lazy on the perimeter. And as others mentioned, we have to design an entire scheme to "hide" him on defense which will generally undervalue other players in the system.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

If Morey hadn't been such a dumbass, our bad defense could have benefited from a full season with the league's 2nd-worst defender and 4 full games of Luc M'Bad Knee&shoulder.

#17 topfive, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the answer is more complex than Ariza/LRMM being the answer or not. Its more about a conversation about the organization's value they place on 3/4 three & D type of role players & how they have a view that they are replaceable on the cheap.

This year... .they got damn lucky with House. They aren't 3 & D players, but they also got lucky with Faried & Rivers.

So yes... I think THIS YEAR, Morey did make the right move to not overpay to keep Ariza & LRMM but there is a glaring sign that next year we could be in a tough spot when House inevitably leaves & the Rockets get cocky again that NBA rotation caliber 3/4's are just going to fall out of the sky and save the day once again. We could again have a rough start to the season when we figure out PJ Tucker can't do everything & that Gary Clark & Vince Edwards didn't make the giant leap forward the team was touting they made in the offseason.

Easy and Relativist like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Re: Lonzo Ball - what day is it?

DD

tmoney1101 and lnchan like this.
  20. SemisolidSnake

Of course, you can.

[​IMG]

(Incredibly popular book first written in 1954. Reprinted dozens of times. Mentioned in every intro statistics course.)

beard4life and jcf like this.