1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Deshaun Watson save rick smiths job?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Daddy Long Legs, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I am as anti Rick Smith as any person could ever possibly be. I think, as a whole, the roster he has put together is so full of holes that there is no reason we should be an even average NFL team without the efforts of Bill O'Brien (who I think gets nowhere near the credit that he deserves in Houston). Having said that, he nailed the Watson trade, and he has made some very good roster moves to fill some holes with players who are better than anyone could have expected them to be. Dylan Cole for example. So, for me, Rick has bought himself another year. I still don't like him, but if they keep progressing you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Until he runs off Bill O'Brien that is...

2. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

the oline still sucks but watsons ability to move and throw on the run is similar to rodgers( which hides a lot of the flaws on the team)

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Rick Smith's job was never in jeopardy, let's be real. If anything Watson might save BOB's job. .

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Jags saved O'Briens job. If they hadn't made Savage look silly, we would still be rolling with Watson on the bench.

#24 Nimo, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think both Rick and O'Brien are about average. Smith has drafted great defensive players but not as much on offense. And it took 3 years for O'Briens offense to look great. He still makes some questionable calls and your offense shouldn't depend on almost perfect QB play. But it finally looked spectacular today. I've always said O'Brien is a good coach but he could really use a good OC.

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Deshaun saved his coach's job and Dylan Cole gave Rick Smith an extension. Thanks for the memory Brian Cushing.

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

No Watson saved bill obriens job.

Only an idiot would think rick is the problem. He consistently selects talent and this dumba$$ bigot system makes it hard as h3ll for a brother to play at qb here in Houston.

An idiot would think Ricks job was more at stake than bill "I can't stick with a qb carosel" obrien.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Real question - if Deshaun Watson pans out (obviously different degrees of this), is Rick Smith objectively a good GM?

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

According to clutchfans, NEVER!

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well let's see.

Watson looks legit but the team is still 2-2. If we end up .500 but Watson plays awesome does everyone keep their jobs?

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's not one man's job Deshaun is saving, it's everybody's job BRIAN

red5rocket likes this.
  12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously..... Watson might save Houston's sports identity. CHAMPIONSHIPS

Let the Astros win too.

We just experienced one of our greatest sports days ever yesterday. Stros finished a 101-win regular season and Texans/Watson did things I'm still having trouble comprehending -- in a good way.

H-Town tryna really do some things !!!!!

red5rocket likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Any chance BoB resigns/gets-fired regardless of success this season?

He's not happy, right?

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Team struggles-god everybody sucks at their job, and we don't have a first round pick because they made some stupid trade to get a QB

Team succeeds-they just got lucky Watson is good, because they deserve no credit for making a huge trade to go get him, and then develop him

I still don't think Smith is any good at his job overall, but it certainly looks like the organization as a whole hit this out of the park.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

His job was never under fire. Man the hate is real on this forum.

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Rick isn't ANY good overall? Clearly, he is.

Is Rick good overall? Probably not

Appears Watson will make plenty people look smart going forward though. Glad to have him.

17. texian

texian Member

As long as it wasn't Cal.

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Bob is doing a fantastic job with Deshaun so far.

I think we will finally see the offensive mind of BOB unleashed now that he has a qb to trust.

Trust is everything. I noticed bob went for it on 4th and 1 last game