1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Dickerson goes Bonkers for 40!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Man, Feb 11, 2000.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good Lord, Dickerson threw down 40 against the Clips tonight. The Mobley backers were excited when Mobes scored 30 last night. I guess this 40 should be ammunition for the Dickerson fan club. I think it's going to be pretty interesting debating and comparing these two 25ish year old kids during the course of their careers.

I've been real impressed with Dickerson ball handling skills this year. He's improved upon his two weaknesses last year, which was ball-handling and free throw shooting. Saw the highlight of a VISCIOUS alley oop by Dickerson. I didn't think he could get up that high.

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

40? Wow...and we were excited over Mobley's 30. Hehe.

We already had the big discussion about why we traded Dickerson instead of Mobley. Also who was better, etc. Lets not get into it again.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It would be nice if Dickerson could go "bonkers" in a game that matters.

Do the Clips even play defense?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, they play defense...Clipporous defense

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We traded Dickerson because that's who the Grizzlies demanded -- rightly -- in exchange for a future superstar. Now you see why they wanted him. What's the surprise? We did not trade a Chevy for a Maserati. We traded an Audi for that Maserati. And we should still be grateful.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

mobley was probaly also kept because they thought he would be exciting off the bench like ellie was. he brought the team's spirit up. well i think if we got a player such as jerome williams then we wouldn't need mobley and dickerson would be awesome with us

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Will is correct....the Francis trade was contingent upon giving them Dickerson.

We miss you Michael!

8. DaneB

DaneB Member

don't you mean a Mercedes? [​IMG])

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

When the coach has enough confidence to play him 41min....thats what happens. It looks like Francis should of kept himself in Vancouver where he would at least get a shot to play more than 20min.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Rocketbooster:

I don't really understand what you're upset about. Steve's been the focal point of the offense since the Barkley injury, and has been playing every minute of every game, except for that 6 minute break he gets in the 2nd quarter. Rudy was just being cautious. You don't want to give a guy too many minutes when he is just coming off a groin pull.

11. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

A six minute break! Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there 48min in a game. Steve Francis averages, what 34,35 min a game. So that's more like a 12 or 13 minute break.

I guess it just gets me frustrated to see Rudy sit down Francis for just the sake of putting in Bryce Drew. It's obvious that Steve doesn't want to come out of the game most of the time by his expression. One example of this is when Francis went off in Chicago for 19pts in the first quarter and then to start the second quarter Bryce Drew replaced him. How do you explain that Cabbage?

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Hey man, I'm with you. I wish we could watch Steve play every minute of every game. I'll bet he could, too.

Actually, if I was Rudy, I would use the formula PJax always used to rest Jordan, which was to pull him out of the game during the 1-2 minutes of each quarter. This way, more of his rest would come in between quarters, during actual time, so not only would he be rested, but wouldn't miss much time.

But hey, look at it in a positive way. By resting Francis we have been showcasing Drew, and have generated some interest around the league.

13. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I thought that too. Rudy must be showcasing Drew. So if thats the case then I guess I'm just peeved and not pissed. Right On! Rudy T.! [​IMG]

14. Steve Phrancis

Yeah, But Derek Anderson went bonkers for 30.