1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Devin Gray

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketball, Dec 10, 1999.

1. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems that the Rockets may add the former Clemson Star, Devin Gray, to the team. The Chronicle is reporting that the 6-7, 240 lb. forward who impressed the team during the summer will be added to the team.

It is not like it matters, cause there is no way to replace Charles, but if you were going to add another forward, then why not Sam Mack? This is nothing against Devin Gray, cause I really don't know much about him. It just strikes me as odd that Mack is still out there, and people say that we are trying to get him in, and they go out and get another player like him, which would make it less likely they would need Mack.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I read this in this morning's Chronicle as well. Never heard of the guy, although the article said he impressed the hell out of everyone while playing for the Rockets during last summer's Rocky Mountain Revue. Leave it to Rudy to find another CBA diamond in the rough!

------------------
    Just Win Baby! More Than Four Times!

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

At 6'7" and 240, it sounds like he is an inside player which is what the Rockets just lost. Mack is not an inside player.

If they sign Mack, it would be for a sign and immediate trade in some type of package deal with maybe a draft pick for another player .

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited December 10, 1999).]

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I hope you mean sign Mack and trade Walt.

Did the article say that gray would be signed to a 10 day contract or for the rest of the year?

5. who?

who? Member

I've got a friend who has seen Gray play a few times and he tells me he's a good player and that he is suprised that noone has picked him up before. Gray's strength lies in his rebounding and he is a commited player, but I don't think he gives us any improvement really. He's no better than Thomas or Rogers. When you lose one of the nba's 50 greatest players of all time and replace him with someone from the cba your asking for miracles. Despite what rudy says in the press I can't help but wonder if he's decided to give up on the season and look to the future.

6. SaluteCharles

SaluteCharles Member

So they were impressed with the guy over the summer. That's good. Yall heard he is a rebounder? That is probably the main concern.

CAN HE PLAY DEFENSE? That is my biggest concern. A 6'7", he doesn't sound too formidable. I wish they could find a powerful, big player of the Otis Thorpe variety. Charles more than made up for his size but no disrespect to Devin Gray, he can't fill Charles' shoes.

Anyone know of a "big man" available? If Kelvin Cato steps up, I may change my mind. But we need a big power forward.

P.S. We can't compare Mack and Gray as I think Gray is a power forward and Mack is a small forward/shooting guard type - not what we need now. Besides, Walt seems to be getting a little rhythm. If he resumes being the player Rudy expected, he will be a real weapon.

P.S.S. Never accuse Rudy of giving up on a season! Just because he may not do any quick fixes for a run this year, he will be doing everything he can to make these guys excel and learn from the season. I will be disappointed if we don't at least have a winning record this year despite losing one of the Top Fifty and our other Top Fifty player being out for another four weeks or so. Remember what Rudy did with a bunch of guys on that World team to get a bronze medal. I was reminded of this fact in an article I read today. I think the Chronicle.

GO ROCKETS!

7. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Devin Gray = Chucky Brown reincarnate.

8. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Chucky Brown can only shoot, can't rebound. Doesn't have an inside game. Very one dimensional.

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Devin Gray would be a nice pickup.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Devin is a tenacious player,an overachiever with great work ethic.You guys might remember him in the tournament playing for Clemson with those dreadlocks.He hits the boards hard and is Rudy's kind of player.He played great in the revue.I agree that we need a big time power forward,but this guy can help.He IS very strong and has a great touch around the hoop....very coachable.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No Bullard can't play D...that's what my post said.

Walt...I don't know. He just can't seem to stay in the game long enough for me to tell. I have seen him be very active in a team defense concept--ie. switching and so forth, which is really all Rudy asks for. Walt is fast enough for that. We can't really hope for everyone to be outstanding one-on-one D players, nor does everyone have to be.

Tell me why you think Walt is not a good defensive player. Do you know from watching Portland games? Like I say, he hasn't stayed in the game long enough for me to tell; foul trouble, no shot, etc.

give me some input TheFreak/Clutch not one-liners.

12. Mango

If he keeps gettiing into foul trouble, then he is not a good defensive player or fails to get respect from the officials as a defensive player.

Jason Kidd, Scottie and Payton have reputations as good defensive players, but probably get away with things that Walt gets called for. If you know that you are going to get called, you are less likely to take a chance and play aggressive defense.

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited December 10, 1999).]

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

hp -

I can tell that Walt isn't a very good defensive player by what I've seen this year. His lateral movement is not good, and he seems to be in foul trouble quite a bit. He's also very slow in general. I'd be lying if I said the poll taken around the league that voted Walt the worst defender in the NBA hasn't influenced my opinion of him as well.

No need to overreact.....you implied from your statement, "there's only room for one player with no D" that Walt played D. I simply asked if you really thought so. Anyway, if that statement were true, Barkley wouldn't have been on the team either.

14. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Walt's gait reminds of "Cadillac" Anderson's. Rox should have signed Mack, he improved his D enough to start for them, I think they believe that it is not good enough for the money he is asking.

We will just have to be content w/ watching our young stars develop this year, concentrate on the upcoming free agent and draft opportunities for next year.

15. heypartner

TheFreak;

thanks for the input. i haven't seen him enough. don't take my comments directed at you as overreacting. just trying to get your input...you seemed ready to say something, but offerred only a one-liner.

I should be saying, there's only room for one, one-dimensional player. then, that of course allows Barkley...sigh.

As with everyone else, i'm disappointed with Walt, and can't bring myself to look at him as one-dimensional...hell, he's barely that right now.

i'm sure you're right about his D. Lack of playing time for peripheral players on a Rudy team is usually indicative of someone who doesn't help on the defensive end. I've been to every home game but one so far, and have seen some active movement by him in the defensive system. but like you say. the fouls are preventive us from seeing any sustained play.

come on Walt...you've got your chance here, step up

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the signing of Gray means people holding their breath for Mack might as well give up. We won't be signing him (still don't know why). However, with the loss of Barkley, Mack becomes less valuable to us anyway. He'd be great in an inside-out game with Barkley drawing double-teams but that is no longer possible.

17. heypartner

Mack has no place on this team because Rudy wants to focus on defense primarily. It is the defense that is going to make our offense easier. Mack has no D, and their is only room for one player with no D...apparently Rudy favors Bullard over Mack. No room for both of them.

You Mack advocates must not give the same weight to the importance of defense as I do. Give me stacey augmon over Mack anyday.

18. Mango

Since teams have seen Walt play this season and only have memories of Mack from last season, it is much more likely to be Mack.

Many people are hoping that Walt leaves, but the only thing he would bring in trade is what another team was trying to foist upon the Rockets.

Mango

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"Mack has no D, and their is only room for one player with no D...apparently Rudy favors Bullard over Mack."

Are you saying Walt Williams can play D?

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

"Are you saying Walt Williams can play D?"

Or Bullard for that matter?

------------------
    Clutch
    http://www.clutchcity.NET
    SPREAD THE WORD