1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Devin Booker 70 Points vs Celtics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HoustonTexas, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Brewer scored 51 points before, so yeah I'm not ready to write this kid into the hall of fame just yet. What he did is damn impressive, though. I didn't catch the game so I can't really comment on how he played but it seems like he's never had a 40+ point game before in his career.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

was watching the UK/UCLA game and wasn't aware this was going on. Shocking.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, this is 19 points more, and Brewer never averaged 22 ppg as a 20yr old, either.

4. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

No doubt this was a historic performance for Booker. I plan on watching the full game once I find a good link for it because I want to see it with my own eyes.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just watched all his baskets.

And now I can see why the Celtics were unhappy. He was at 50 with 6 minutes left... so he scored 20 in the final 6. He was i think at 59 with 2 minutes left so scored 11 in the final 2 minutes. I think the Celtics were up like 18 at that point.

In a blowout loss. Meaning the possessions shouldn't even be there. Except for the fouling just to get possession back just to give him a chance to get more points.

Doesn't diminish that he got this points... but context is very very important.

Also if I was the Celtics damn straight I'd start fouling other guys.

Patience, Vivi, glenadyll and 3 others like this.
  6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Him and Lavine are amazing to watch! He is the future!

7. JayZ750

He didn't say either of those things. He just noted that Corey Brewer also once scored 51 points.

I'm not a Booker hater, a Suns hater, etc. I think the kid is almost a sure fire HOFer if he stays healthy. Not sure yet if he's a "winner" but plenty of time for that.

But I am a fan of context. Booker made them, for sure. But it got awfully close to a guy purposefully missing a couple shots to get his own board to get rebounds and a triple double. Not quite at that level but close.

Vivi and Yung-T like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

No, Giannis is the vastly superior player.

Booker has not been very efficient this season and most of his high raw stats are a result of him being on a team where he can shoot the ball a great deal.

Having said that I think he is going to be a pretty damn elite scorer because he is still a baby. Few 20 year olds could attempt to shoulder the load he is and still be respectable while doing it. While I believe Kobe is overrated, he is still a first ballot Hall of Famer and if you compare Booker and Bryant's stats from age 20; they are not really that different.

Vivi likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Was that impressive? They were getting blown out the whole game and there was barely any defense on him as the game was out of hand while he did all his scoring. That was the least exciting high scoring game highlights I've ever seen.

10. heypartner

Yes, of course. But that also works against him in MIP. For some reason, they like to skip over the guys who make the jump from star to superstar.

11. heypartner

What is with this Brewer ALSO scored 51 pts. That happens every year. This is the 4th time since 1963 that 70 has happened, and by someone 4 yrs younger than anyone ever. Booker has also had a 27pt quarter and a 29 pt quarter back in January...so the guy can get hot.

And read how two of the other three did it...if you want context...I actually fully remember these games
    • David Robinson did his 71 on the last game of the year in order to surpass Shaq for scoring champion. It was the Spurs game plan for that meaningless last game of the year.
    • Likewise David Thompson scored his 73 in the last game to overtake George Gervin (temporarily) for scoring title. It was the Nuggets game plan. Then the Spurs engineered a 63 pt game by Gervin to retake the scoring title.
    if you play the context card to nitpick this 4th 70pt game in 54 years, then at least know what two of the other players did, and don't bring up a 51 pt game like it's comparable.

And don't download the game, scrutinize it, then return and share your overthought criticique of him further without looking at how the Spurs and Nuggets engineered entire games to gift Robinson and Thompson their 70 pts. Ok @Tha_Dude :p

12. FMJNBA

FMJNBA Member

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Yeah we'd be able to watch very entertaining losses

14. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

LOL I love that he torched those Boston guys, especially Marcus Smart! That was great to see

15. JayZ750

You keep bringing up strawman type stuff. Nobody said anything about he other two guys. I never said those were "legit" 70 point games whereas this one wasn't. I also remember DRob's 70.... and just like you, I ALSO remember the context. Which is why I'm putting this in context as well.

Moreover, neither DRob or Thompson are remembered for their 70 point games. Wilt is for his 100 but that's such an anomaly. And even with that Wilt is still remembered for much more.

So in the context of what's this say about him as a player it is comparable to Brewers 51. Not because 70 isn't much much much rarer than a 50 point game. Just because it's a guy who was never a great scorer going off. I mean at least Dana Barron's averaged over 20 a game once in his career. Brewers career high is 13 ppg for a year. So for a guy who might not have been following Booker as much (not me, as I've said I know the kid is legit), even recognizing 70 is impossibly rare, just knowing a guy scored 70 isnt painting a picture of what he is.

Just like I think other player could average a triple double of that was a clear day in day out goal (as it clearly is and has been for Russ), I think more people could have scored 70 points over the last 50 years if that was the sole focus. As it was for DRob, Thompson, and Booker tonight. Not hundreds more or even 30 more but more. Again consider the Celtics could have and probably should have just started tripling Booker before even catching it and just fouling other Suns players... it's still be an amazing 59 point game but obviously not the same and Booker would have then just been a guy that could have maybe scored 70 points once (like Klay Thomson earlier this year).

All of which, AGAIN, isn't to say this 70 points isn't legit or meaningful or whatever. It's legit. He's legit. Yada yada.

It was just to provide context. Like i said.

16. heypartner

Why are you making this an argument. I wasn't arguing with tha dude. Lulz. See my first reply to him. I was answering his question about Booker's ability to get hot ... to add statistical context to his year.

I think you're just wanting to make your point, and looking for a post throw it at.

I'm in this thread to add context and stats and video. Sorry I said Brewer's 51 is not comparable. Now, please lay off the straw man accusations. That requires me to be want to argue.

But I will reply to this, to add further statistical context.

The Spurs and Nuggets went into those games with a game plan to gift their teammate a scoring title from the opening tip. They actually calculated the pts required and had a number to hit in the last game. It was a game plan for the entire game. Likewise Gervin and the Spurs new they needed exactly 63 pts for him to regain the title that Thompson just took the lead in. I would venture to guess the Suns did not go into this game thinking they needed to get Booker 70 pts. They likely only did later in the game....once he cleared 50.

I doubt it was the sole purpose of the entire game as it most definitely was for the Spurs and Nuggets in meaningless last games, chosen last games, to make it difficult for Shaq and Gervin to retake.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He had an outstanding game no doubt, but the 70 is to be taken with a grain of salt.

The Celtics were leading by 18 with a little over 2 minutes left. At that point he had 54 points. Then he proceeded to score 16 in the last 2 minutes of complete garbage time, in which the Suns were fouling and calling timeouts to drive up his numbers.

A great performance with added theatrics, not really historic.

Rox11 likes this.
  18. JayZ750

Sounds like you didn't watch the game or recaps.

In the very beginning? No. But then the Suns were down like 21-3 and no one could score. Until Booker started, got hot and yes they kept going to him. And as I noted and others now have it was beyond attempting to get him points at the end. It was somewhat embarrassing.

Plus the idea that two guys went into games knowing they needed to get a certain number of points that is HUGE, and their team helps them in this regard.... and then they do... kind of speaks to my point.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

70 points in a loss will do that for you? Call me when Booker gets 50-15-15 in a WIN.

20. heypartner

Do you understand I wasn't arguing with Tha Dude and was answering his question about Bookers ability to get hot with stats...see previous page. Sorry I repeated my post to Dr of Dunk to remind how DRob did his 70pts. I like to add history to threads like this. Guess you took that as me arguing with you.

i did like the "he didn't say either of those things" buttinski post. Then the "you're making stray man arguments" when I'm not even arguing ... and now the "you must not have watched the videos" to say I'm not following the arguments.

That was fun. Will read again.