1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Deveney] Donatas Motiejunas suing Rockets and NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 12, 2017.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clearly yes, which is why they are not reporting the settlement...and no one is talking about it.

DD

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i haven't read the rest of the thread and am not gonna pretend i followed the whole dmo saga, but this is how it felt to me and it was disappointing. you already screwed the guy with the detroit trade and injury news, then he probably plays hardball (ineptly) because of that, then he finally gets his tens of millions and you find some loophole where you can somehow cancel his contract with the other team and do it, even though you didn't want him on the team? pretty low from morey i think, even if i've always been a big fan.

you can't tell me the rockets, who know his health better than anyone, were like "yeah, we really want this guy on the team" and then went "oh, but what's this, he's injured? ahh, what a shame. well i guess you just don't get any money. sad." i mean come on. there's spite and then there's stealing tens of millions of dollar from someone.

seems also kinda like the nba should have a way to address this. how can your matching team fail you and then negate the previous passed physical with the other team? and can teams just fail someone any time they want? seems open to abuse if you can just unilaterally say "we checked, he's broken. no money for him."

DaDakota likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with everything you say and I don't think the Rockets did something dirty in the sense that they intentionally screw DMo over. DMo totally mishandled the situation and lost millions of dollars.

But I do concur that the NBA needs to put more accountability to the physical thing. The one thing I learned from the DMo saga is that the physical does not really need to be any objective medical scientific exam. That seems to be a big hole open to abuse. Apparently teams can use that to void any transaction (trade, contract, etc.) without having to provide any objective evidence.

4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

5. omgTHEpotential

Not sure whether it's smart for DMo to sue his employer (the NBA). Unless he doesn't plan on playing here anymore and instead just wants to move back to Europe.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-finals-how-the-warriors-built-their-team-2d5f49a5265a

D-Mo is the reason behind the Warriors...

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

so dmo is a curry stopper and morey paid ryan 20m per instead? wooooow, swing and a miss.

8. Fantasma Negro

lnchan likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

How's that settlement coming along....

DMo got a new agent....

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

I'll never see the name "DMo" and not chuckle

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Chuckle at the DMo vs Tjones debate? Or the DMo knows his rights debacle? Or Yull C?

ramotadab, hakeem94 and Pen15clubber like this.
  13. basketballholic

You're wasting energy with them. They wouldn't believe it if Silver said it.

14. DaDakota

It already happened, and Dmo did get a new agent.

The league and Rockets settled, part of the terms was that no one could talk about the terms. Typical settlement honestly - and Dmo is happy so, clearly there was something there, which the league and Rockets did not want to go to court.

DD

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Did DMo settle for the full $38 mil and not a penny less that he allegedly was not going to miss out on at all?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

The NBA Dunc'd On podcast has been following this issue since the host use to be a lawyer and his update from a week ago indicated he still believes the fault is with the agent and the Rockets used the restricted status to its fullest.

I don't see Morey doing something illegal, just perhaps found a loophole he exploited that the league wants to keep under wraps until it will be addressed.

17. dmoneybangbang

Bottom line DMo messed up with his agent and had unfortunate injury luck.

It will be interesting to see what type of offers he gets this offseason after a lackluster year.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It would not have gone to court, disputes have to be arbitrated.

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

just ran into Dmo at Empire. such a good guy

20. DaDakota

Dunno the terms but everyone seems happy so, whatever, it is over now.

DD