1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Detroit offers Okur $40m for 5 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Jul 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

2. Sane

Sane Member

I think they have the capspace to offer more.

However, I think Phoenix will match that offer and Utah will TOP that offer.

Sounds like his deal will begin at around 6.5M with maximum increases each year.

Phoenix can offer that. In 4 or 5 years, Okur may very well be worth his contract. Assuming he improves of course.

This line-up would be difficult to deal with:

Okur/Voshkuhl
    Stoudamire/Lampe
    Marion/Caparbaka
    Joe Johnson/?
    Steve Nash/Barbosa

Who did they draft? Pretty good rebuilding job.

I think Utah will offer a bit more money and a lot more playing time.

3. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

so do you guys agree that they will or won't also sign rasheed?

4. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

thats a lot more money than i thought he would demand. It seems like its been so long since i've seen him get meaningful minutes. Is this guy even that good?

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i'm sorry but were they watching him in the Finals? i know it's unfair to judge a player on just a few games...but those games were pretty damn crucial and well....he doesn't look like he's worth 8 mil per.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow that is a bad bad contract....

the guy has shown potential but 8 mil a year????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. sup123

sup123 Member

what up with these rich contract this offseason. First nash at 65 million, then camby at 10 mil. NOw okur at 40million. JEEZ :eek:

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sheed will most likely be in NYC next year. I guess D-Town knows this.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it doesn't make much sense though. i mean i agree with you about him probly going to NY but man...'sheed must have zero in the common sense dept. Not only do he have another chance at a ring next year, he can get paid more AND the spotlight is not on him 24/7 like it would be in NY. is Detroit really THAT bad of a place to live in? :D

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The title is wrong accoring to the link.

It's 6 years for $40 million, approximately $6.7 million/year.

Still not a bargain but not Tariq Abdul Wahad either.

11. junshao

junshao Contributing Member

that's why I would say this year is seller's (free agent's) market. Just too many teams with cap space, they will outbid each other, and drive the price up.

I think it's wise for Rockets to wait for these teams to burn their money first and then possiblely get some bargains.

12. jshabang

jshabang Member

Not yes..........but,

HELL YES

On the serious side...that place is the biggest eyesore I've ever seen in my life......Downtown is a waistland dude.....nothing like downtown houston

Skyscrapers boarded up.........trash and litter everywhere..dirty dingy feel

You know something is not right about a city when the mayor is 30 years old........

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Does this mean that Sheed is going to NY. If so, then the Rox better get into that action. NY can only offer the MLE, just like the rockets. And with T-Mac and Yao, Houston is way more attractive in a basketball sense than NY. Granted NY is the media center of the world, but if he wants to win then Houston would be a better pick. Granted if he really just wants to win then he would stay with the world champions. Either way, I'm hoping CD has contacted Sheed to guage the possibilities.

14. junshao

Apparently, Okur is seeking 6 years 65M deals though...so Detroit might not even be able to keep him.

15. Glish21

Glish21 Member

what!! who in their right mind would give him that

16. junshao

Utah just might....

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Or Phoenix.

18. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Not a chance. He had absolutely zero impact on the Laker series and looked lost most of the time.

19. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Maybe you guys should have actually watched him play all year before saying he's not worth it or trashing a city?

He'll be getting much bigger offers than the one Detroit gave him (which is just the MLE, btw).

He would have averaged a double double on most teams last year and will likely do it for whatever team he signs on. He sacrificed for the team, you know they won the championship, and even during his limited time during the playoffs he turned the momentum in a couple games and helped win them for Detroit.

Larry Brown wouldn't allow him to play to his strengths either. For example, there was a game early this year where he was on pace for 30 points and 20 boards at halftime, but was benched the second half because he took one outside jumper the coach didn't like.

He'll be a good center in the league for years.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Read your defense of Okur, but what's your defense of Detroit being a terrible city?