1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Detained by force for legally open-carrying firearm?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Very legal, highly stupid.

Sajan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I wouldn't walk thru the door of a Walmart with a water gun right now, **** is just too hot.

Sajan likes this.
  4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Should have defended his right against the firefighter and stood his ground.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I wonder what would happen if a brown guy with a beard wore a plate carrier and a slung ar-15 to a public area.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

"Dmitriy Andreychenko"

[​IMG]

Sajan and justtxyank like this.
  7. body slam

body slam Member

Just because you can do something. Does not always mean you should do it.

DaDakota, Sajan, tmoney1101 and 2 others like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No dispute it's highly stupid. He could have died doing this. Would dispute it being very legal. He might skate, but would he did was like shouting fire in a crowded theatre. People could have gotten hurt, trampled in the panic. He triggered a significant law enforcement response that surely pulled officers away from other duties. He probably cost that Walmart a day's worth of revenue. If our first amendment right is reasonably curtailed to not allow people to cause a public panic with their speech, why shouldn't our second amendment be likewise limited? If he was just carrying a pistol in a holster like he lived in the wild west, that'd be one thing, but wearing tactical gear, body armor, carrying a "tactical rifle" and a bunch of ammo at a Walmart days after a Walmart shooting is the functional equivalent of shouting "I'm gonna shoot this place up!" I'll be disappointed if he gets no jail time.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why open carry is stupid. It makes it harder on law enforcement. It drains law enforcement resources.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Most likely shot and killed by police.

11. Carl Herrera

So, are the Open Carry rules basically that you can carry at will but if someone detains, tackles or shoots you because they reasonably see you as a threat due to the weapon that you carry, they are free to do so without legal cinasequences?

#11 Carl Herrera, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Seems reasonable to me. If you want to pretend live you are living in the Wild West, commit to the life and death consequences of living in the wild west.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wonder how laws like this ( actually lack of laws) intersect with stand your ground laws. A moron walks around in body armor with a rifle, and old white lady feels threatens and shoots him with her 38 special. Who's to blame? Both are doing what is legal.

14. Carl Herrera

So, which of those people would be legal shoot on sight?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#14 Carl Herrera, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

My understanding is that situations like this will only get resolved in courts, trying to assess liability. So if there was no proof the moron in body armor was acting in a threatening manner outside of legally carrying, then the old white lady will be charged with assault and or attempted murder.

No different if you replace the moron in body armor with scary black man since both should be legal to be in a public space.
    Now if someone from Walmart confronted the shooter and asked him to leave, that'd be criminal trespass for the moron. Good luck finding a minimum wage employee doing that though.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you open carry swords too?

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting how many non-rednecky non-white people appear in those photos.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if a stern looking Arab man with a long, flowing beard tried to open carry.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. Carl Herrera

My question is this: Does walking around in body armor and carrying an AR-15 in a Walmart (particularly days after a mass shooting) by itself, constitute "acting in a threatening manner"? Are people required to confront this armed person (or the actual El Paso shooter), ask him to leave, hear his refusal, before doign something about him?

Is there a good, non-threatening, reason to be dressed like this at a Walmart?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure you're joking but they specifically passed a law to make it legal in Texas.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you drive around with Toyota pickup trucks with mounted anti aircraft guns too?

Sajan and B-Bob like this.