1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Destined to become classics down the road

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Apr 3, 2006.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Bad predictions about Yao

In some of the worst predictions since the press picked Dewey to defeat Truman on the night of the 1948 elections, we thought we would hold some so-called “experts” accountable for what they said about Yao during the time Yao-believers knew he was the real deal.

Andy Munger, in an AllSports.com column, 5/3/02 :

“I think he will make a career backup, not someone worth to be a top ten pick…

“Yao Ming may not even make the CBA. He is perhaps the biggest hype the NBA has seen for a long time. He may be able to penetrate inside against Japanese or Korean players in international play, but does anyone really think Ming will move by Shaq? The best thing for Yao to do would be to stay over there and get a nice job dropping his dream of playing in the NBA…”

“He is soft on top and will not be able to handle the NBA defense or pressure play…”

“His best hope would be to enroll in college and trying to improve his soft game before attempting to embarrass himself in the NBA.”

Editor’s note: Munger wrote the following in his December 12th column:

“I have to admit I thought Yao would be another Manute Bol and he has proven me wrong. Yao has quieted all his critics about his ability and potential to be an impact player in the NBA…”

“The Houston Rockets knew what they were doing when they drafted Yao Ming.”

Bill Simmons, ESPN.com, May 2002:

“Years from now, we will remember ‘Yao Ming over Jay Williams’ the same way we remember ‘Bowie over Jordan,’ ‘Traylor for Nowitzki,’ ‘Carroll for McHale and Parish,’ ‘Aguirre over Thomas’ and every other great draft day blunder in NBA history. I’m not just predicting it, I’m guaranteeing it.

“Think about it. At best, Ming develops into a bigger, more athletic Rik Smits. Fine. But then you throw in Yao’s adjustment problems (going from China to the United States — yikes), his laid-back demeanor (what happens when NBA players start pushing him around, elbowing him and intimidating him?), his inability to play in the low post, and the way he’ll struggle fitting in with his teammates, as well as lofty expectations, inevitable problems adjusting to a higher level of competition, the fact that NBA players will go out of their way to dunk on him (just like they did with Shawn Bradley — and they ruined his confidence, too), the isolation of playing here, the meddling Chinese government … I mean, did Smits have to deal with any of those things?

“Can’t you picture Shaq rubbing his hands together and saying, “I’m going to dunk on that Chinese guy as much as humanly possible next season”? This is a disaster waiting to happen. Repeat: This is a disaster waiting to happen. I feel very strongly about this. Just wanted to get that heard before the jury.”

Editor’s note: Simmons wrote the following retraction in his January 6th column:

“I’m an idiot. Forget about Yao’s emergence as the most polished rookie big man since Brad Daugherty, or that he offers the first worthy challenge to Shaq since Hakeem was still The Dream. If you’re a basketball fan, you love Yao Ming. He’s a godsend, the best Chinese import since General Tso. And I thought he’d stink. I may as well have predicted that Vin Baker would be the missing piece of the puzzle in Boston or the Blazers would be a team you could be proud to bring home to Mom.

“Like many hoops junkies, I now stalk SportsCenter every night for a Yao fix. Exceptionally well schooled and mobile, he affects the game at both ends like nobody since Bill Walton. His turnaround jumper — a borderline work of art — might be the most unblockable move since Kareem’s skyhook. And when was the last time you saw a 7-footer start fastbreaks with 50-foot jai alai passes, or find open teammates with backdoor looks? In the Me-Me-Me NBA, that stuff isn’t supposed to happen…”

Dick Vitale, ESPN.com, 6/21/02:

“I still feel that Yao Ming could be the second coming of LaRue Martin, the big man who was a first-round bust of the Portland Trail Blazers in 1972.”

“My gut feeling tells me the Rockets are making a mistake, baby, in evaluating their overall No. 1 pick. Still, Rudy T could shock America by having NBA commissioner David Stern announce Williams’ name as the top pick. Then Houston would be moving toward the winner’s circle.”

Bob Wolfley, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (click for article), 6/25/02:

“If you had to predict where Yao will be five years from now in the National Basketball Association, it’s easier to mount the argument he’ll be closer to being Kent Benson or Pervis Ellison or Ralph Sampson than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Hakeem Olajuwon.

“If you’re 7-5 and you’re not a shot-blocker or a game-altering defender, then what are you?

“A bust from a would-be Ming Dynasty is what you are.”

Editor’s note: Wolfley wrote the following in his January 20th column (click here for the entire retraction — use login of ‘antfarm@bugmenot.com’):

“Back in June, this corner was referencing busts from the Ming Dynasty. Now? It’s closer to Yao as in Yeoooww. Rhymes with Wow.”

Ronald Tillery, Memphis Commercial Appeal, 11/10/02:

“They call Yao Ming ‘The Next Big Thing,’ but he looks like the ‘Next Big Stiff’ … The Chinese government may want to go to war after Shaquille O’Neal puts a hole in Yao’s chest. He’ll have an average NBA career.”

“…In the meantime, try to hold on to your cookies while watching Yao ‘Can you say Foul?’ Ming.”

Editor’s note: Tillery wrote the following in his January 12th column:

“I’ll eat a little crow. I’ll join Charles Barkley in saying that I was wrong about the No. 1 overall pick. Thank goodness I avoided saying that I would kiss a part of the body where the sun doesn’t shine to make my point. Looking back, my main view was that Yao would be average at best. Premature. He’s going to put up big numbers at this rate. That is, if the Rockets ever figure out how to use him. Against the Griz, Yao put up a double-double in less-than-dominating fashion. But he did alter my opinion of him because of his work down low.”

New York Daily News, 11/10/02:

“The Rockets gambled on Yao Ming in the draft and so far it’s looking like they crapped out.”

Bob Matthews, Rochester Democrat and Herald, 11/10/02 :

“The Great Wall of China is among the Seven Wonders of the World. Yao Ming becoming an All-Star caliber NBA center would merit consideration as the eighth. I’m glad I wasn’t a scout who recommended that the Houston Rockets select the 7-foot-5 Chinese center No. 1 overall in the 2002 NBA draft.”

Editor’s note: Matthews wrote the following in his January 12th column:

“I couldn’t have been more wrong in my premature evaluation of Houston rookie Yao Ming. He’s one of the NBA’s three or four best centers already and should be a dominant player for at least a decade. But if Shaquille O’Neal can’t be excited about playing against Yao in this game, and doesn’t dominate his much younger and inexperienced opponent, the Lakers are in worse shape than I think they are. ”

Charles Barkley on TNT, 11/14/02:

“Yao Ming makes Shawn Bradley look like Bill Russell.”

Randy Brickley, Arizona Republic, 11/15/02: “…Inside of three or four years, (Yao will) probably be history.”

“It also brings to mind an interesting question: How do you say LaRue Martin in Chinese?”

“A master of almost no facet of the game, Yao makes Martin look like another historic basketball figure, Wilt Chamberlain. Manute Bol has a better chance of playing hockey than Yao does of having an All-Star career…”

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nice to see a lot of them admit thier mistake.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I love...it the more and more these guys are going to either come and admit they were idiots or they should just go crawl under a rock.

I remember to this day listening to stupid Dicky V rant and rave on the pre draft show how we were making a mistake and it was SOOO annoying.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Anyone who saw the videos Clutch had here of Yao playing in China had to know the guy was going to be a star. The first time I saw them, I was sold on getting the big guy. And damn, he's big! :cool:

5. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Is there a link to that video? Thanks.

6. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

I'm interested in the video too. Anybody still got a copy?

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

8. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

Thanks a lot Deckard!

The links in the old threads are broken because of the domain name switch from clutchcity.net to clutchfans.net. Here is the direct fixed links to the video

http://www.clutchfans.net/video/yao_clips_0623.rm

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

If you have not read the threads, please do it. You will find a lot of posters on this board would actually do a better job at scouting players than the sports writers.

#9 RocketForever, Apr 3, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

As well as Yao Ming is playing now, I can't help but be dissapointed that Yao hasn't developed that "Bill Walton" aspect of his game -- the passing.

As a rookie, he appeared to be an unnaturally gifted passer. Now, he's a solid passer out of double teams, but he doesn't exactly wow you with his court vision. What happened? Has his skills regressed in this department, or is it a case of Van Gundy pressuring him to play conservatively?

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL. Just saw this at the bottom of the page:

"Ming will be a bust... and honestly, I kind of hope he is ... It would suit the Rockets right."
    - AntiSonic, 6/27/2002

Deck, thanks for digging up these "old" threads -- they sure changed a few minds back then. :)

12. compucomp

compucomp Member

No, I think it's because JVG's offense does not call for him to pass. When the post player gets the ball he is supposed to score. IF he played for Sacramento, I think his assists average would go up to about 4 a game, with the way Sacramento used Vlade, C-Webb, and now Brad Miller. I think Yao's passing skills are on par with Miller's passing skills; we just don't see them any more because of the way JVG plays.

Another thing we don't see any more from Yao is the face-up midrange jumper from about 18-20 feet. He used to shoot these with decent consistency his first two years; now he rarely does and if he shoots it it's probably a brick. Again, something JVG probably drilled out of him. Personally, I'm fine with the way Yao plays now, because making him into a beast in the low post has worked very well, while having him shoot more (i.e. making him like Dirk or Okur) may not work nearly as well and will probably result in him becoming soft.

13. Zach Kang

Zach Kang Member

Revenge is sweet!!!!! :D :D

14. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Wow so many ignorant "analysts". If HOU had picked Jay, that would have went down as the worst ever pick... even though everyone said its "safer"

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Based on what happened to J Will then yes..it would have been a bad pick. Now if he had continued his great play that he had his rookie season to this day he might have been good as well, but not as good as Yao....and i am so happy they picked YAO.

I wanted Yao from the begining and always thought J Will was going to be a great player....so i am very happy with the pick and i always have been....the proof is in my old posts....

At the same time...kind of sucks for J Will..hopefully he can make it back to the league.

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Where do people like these come from? :rolleyes:

Do you folks even bother to do research of rethink these things attimes? You are so wound up in your bias that it is affecting rational and logic reasoning. I am not sure it is even worth responding to some of those things you said - I am sure that is why many did not even bother to respond to you.

When in doubt, ask questions.

17. compucomp

compucomp Member

My question to you is: why do you flame me for no reason? In any debate something is better than nothing, so if you can't come up with anything except flaming to counter my argument, I win. So come up with something.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Love to see all these experts do the old turn around :D

19. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

This thread is the perfect rebuttal to all the pundits who say, "Yao is just now living up to the lofty expectations we all had for him before he was drafted."

20. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Just imagine how wrong it could have gone if Yao didn't go no.1 that year to us. I, for one, am hugely thankful, and look forward to this 'godsent' for the rest of his career.