1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro this isnt close. There is talent and there is production. Wilson had Lynch but no high powered receiving targets.

Admittedly neither did Vick. However when he had DeSean Jackson the problem was consistency. He started off on fire when he took McNabb's job but eventually got Reid fired

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This doesn't sound like the pgabriel I used to talk football with here...at all.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I still love Vick but the difference between me now and then is i try my best not to let emotion cloud judgement.

Everyone in the BBS should make that a goal

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Umm....there's a certain HOFer that played in Houston you might be forgetting. When you adjust for the different eras they played in, there's absolutely no question that Warren Moon is the best black passer to have played the game. I mean, you'll never see Wilson lead the league in yards per game, but Warren Moon was still doing so at 41 years old....

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The QB "it" factor is hard to quantify - Michael Vick had ungodly athleticism but did he have the "it" factor? I believe Wilson and DW have the "it" factor in spades but in Watson's case can it keep him afloat while he learns the passing game intricacies?

We'll see, not sure he has the best setup for success here but im 100% sure Watson has the winning/clutch/confidence gene. Hope the Texans don't erode it being the Texans.

pgabriel likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wilson has the second highest career rating.

With Moon you have to adjust yardage for playing in the run and shoot. A defining forgotten moment Wilson is almost bringing Seattle back n the NFC championship two years ago.

Unfortunately he threw that pick against new england in the super bowl but he marched them down the field to begin with.

Moon definitely threw a beautiful ball arguably the best deep ball in history but Wilson is underrated because of the system he plays in

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wilson fell because of his height. He has a strong accurate arm and throws few interceptions.

pgabriel likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Warren Moon was doing things that had almost never been done before, so when you "adjust yardage" you should realize that he was having top 5 all time seasons while playing, Wilson will never be that kind of QB and in fact he had training wheels on for the first several seasons while the team won with the run game and defense. Only recently (since they stopped winning) has he been more involved with the offense with his passing. The pick in the SB is just an example of how that team sabotaged itself by moving away from winning with defense and the run game and towards Wilson passing more.

That's not to say that Wilson hasn't progressed into a very good passer, he certainly has, but he's no Warren Moon. When it comes to passing the ball, there's 3 things that Wilson will never do that Moon did. Lead the league in passing yards, lead the league in yards per game, lead the league in TD passes. The only thing Wilson has over Moon as a passer is efficiency, but Wilson isn't throwing the ball 600 times a season like Moon was....hell he wasn't even throwing it 500 times a season till just this past year.....so yeah, you can add a 4th, Wilson will never lead the league in passing attempts like Moon did.

I get that it sounds like I'm nit picking here, but when you compare really good QB's to an all time legend that's how it sounds a lot of the time.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

PG no way you believe Russ is better than Moon. Russ is not better than Mcnabb either.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

There is honestly no comparison.

Moon was so much better than Wilson.

If Moon had the Seahawks defense he would have won multiple championships.

Bobbythegreat and Fulgore like this.
  11. tmacfor35

To PG's defense, he has never seen Moon play. If he had, he wouldn't be saying this.

Fulgore likes this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

True. Dont get me wrong Russ is a damn good qb but far from elite. Moon and McNabb are so much better IMO.

13. tmacfor35

I actually don't agree with you about McNabb. Not saying you are wrong, I just think right now they are comparable players and Wilson will probably get better.

I did not watch much of McNabb as I was never a Philly guy, but what I did watch of him I remember him being a little inaccurate.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO McNabb was always a bit overrated for whatever reason and I'd honestly take Wilson over McNabb right now. McNabb couldn't stay healthy despite being nowhere near the scrambler Wilson is and yeah, McNabb was a bit inaccurate when it came to his passing. I think Wilson and McNabb are about on the same tier though.....with Moon clearly above both of them.

One thing that sticks out to me is that McNabb never led the league in any significant statistical category as a QB. I think if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to have led the league in something relevant at least once.

15. tmacfor35

That Philly media......is responsible for hyping one of the more overrated players of all time. Allen Iverson. Not right forum for this, but yes McNabb to me seemed overrated.

Was he Elite like Matt Schaub? lol

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Matt Schaub actually led the league in passing one year, so there's a better case for Schaub than for McNabb as odd as it may sound.

17. tmacfor35

I was a big backer of Schauby in his prime. He could have won a ring with this defense prior to Albert falling on his foot.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a damn shame, he went from one of the best QB's in the league to.....well Matt Schaub.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wilson's proof is individual stats and wins

And McNabb is very overrated

Sorry

20. tmacfor35

Deshuan in this offense.....A lot of these throws are to wide open wide receivers running down the field.

BOB makes everything look so difficult.

Kubiak at OC could solve so many of our issues.

Joshfast likes this.