1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

BS stat. He's a bad passer.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yessir. All day, every day.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then you think the top 5 QB's in the NFL this season are

1. Matt Ryan 287 yards per game 2 TD 0 INT
    2. Deshaun Watson 114 yards per game 1 TD 1 INT
    3. Alex Smith 310 yards per game 5 TD 0 INT
    4. Ben Roethlisberger 253 yards per game 4 TD 1 INT
    5. Trevor Siemian 225 yards per game 6 TD 2 INT

instead of

1 Tom Brady 357 yards per game 3 TD 0 INT
    2 Aaron Rodgers 327 yards per game 3 TD 2 INT
    3 Drew Brees 324 yards per game 3 TD 0 INT
    4 Carson Wentz 320 yards per game 4 TD 2 INT
    5 Alex Smith 310 yards per game 5 TD 0 INT

I mean, I get why Watson fanboys would want to push QBR given that it is currently saying that he's the 2nd best QB in the NFL, but I refuse to believe that anyone is that blinded by fandom to where they'd actually believe that. Any metric that would have him ranked that high right now is a joke.

4. Progs

Progs Member

What a time to be alive :eek:

5. tmacfor35

I think you are getting lost in everything here.

Nobody said he was the second best QB in the league.

My stat represents the whole season. Not a 1.5 game season like you are pointing out.

If he's there by the end of the season the Texans will have won a lot of games. That's what matters. I saw a lot of superstar quality in him last game. I'm excited to see him develop.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

QBR currently says that he's the 2nd best QB in the league....which is ridiculous. When you cite a metric that laughably flawed, you are saying that you think his performance thus far is the 2nd best QB performance in the NFL rather than the 31st best QB performance in the NFL like legitimate metrics would suggest

It's been quite a few years since I've had to spell out to people why ESPN's Total QBR is absolute garbage and not to be taken seriously so it's a bit surprising to have to do it now.

7. tmacfor35

Bobby, nobody likes to listen to a guy who thinks he knows everything. I'm not surprised.

You have issues with comprehending points people are trying to make. Sorry you don't get it.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I seem to often have people accuse me of thinking I know everything despite the fact that I've said many times that's not the case. That said, me not knowing everything doesn't make a really stupid argument that is based on a totally bogus metric somehow valid. It doesn't make "just winz" arguments valid. I hope you understand that there is some room between having to accept really stupid, invalid arguments and "thinking I know everything".

I mean, I'm not saying anything that is controversial whatsoever when I point out that ESPN's Total QBR is BS and when I point out that "just winz" arguments are invalid. None of that is controversial with people who know what they are talking about and that isn't some small elite group....most people know that.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Watson was a legitimate first round prospect. Im not giving you a hard time but you criticize the Osweiller move well a playoff team has to go after a free agent or move up in the draft to get a franchise caliber guy.

Schaub worked out Brock didn't. Lets give this time but they had to do something.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Not a lot of players live in the Galleria area is my guess. I don't mind eating alone. He has nice taste, at least.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wait until he has some more weapons at his disposal and when the line isn't playing like a joke.

Patience isn't your thing, @Bobbythegreat. You just keep pushing your narrative.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I respect his taste and not giving an f about eating alone

13. Mr. Clutch

"had to do something" was the logic for Brock too. You have to get a QB but you don't have to massively overpay.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The point was about how he was playing now, not how he might play one day in the future so "patience" is irrelevant. The statement that he hasn't shown any ability to pass the ball at an NFL level is a valid one currently, if that changes in the future, great.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Time will tell. Brock didnt hurt but this will definitely be a make or break move for both Smith and BOB.

There is obviously something they really like and we can talk numbers or lack of but that td run after that sack certainly gave them comfort in their decision

He does need to improve greatly as a passer but he seems to be willing to learn and has work ethic

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So y'all are saying I have nice taste TOO. THANKS.

17. Mr. Clutch

YOU'RE WELCOME.

I haven't been there but heard good things

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

When Brock sucked, it was the receivers fault.. When Watson sucks, it's his mechanics and not the Oline. You have not once mentioned giving him any kind of a break with the line. You touched on how important the line was in the draft, but now it's good enough to not be able to blame for bad play? You have your narrative on ppl and you stick to it no matter what. Just because people don't care to hear you bash him after 1.5 games doesn't make them fanboys. It makes them optimists. Is it really that fun or necessary to beat a point that far into the ground that people grasp at QBR and other straws just to go against you?

You liked Brock so it was everyone elses fault and it cost too much to move him.
    You liked Savage so Watson wasn't ready doesnt have arm velocity.
    Watson wins the job and doesn't show issues with arm velocity so its his mechanics.
    Scores game winning TD and leads a drive in 4th to seal victory. But only got 125 yards.
    *Wanted Carr all along and that's really easy to say now.

Htownballer38 and TheRealist137 like this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Are you sure Mia Khalifa wasn't under the table giving him some dome?

houstonstime likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Some of it was Brock sucking, some of it was the WR's screwing up, why does everything have to be binary with you? You do understand that both things can happen right? It's not an advanced concept.

When he throws inaccurate passes, it's not the O line throwing them, it's him. When you see the O line causing an inaccurate pass, it looks more like the one inaccurate pass Savage threw this year, the one where he was hit while throwing it.

Is the O line awful? Yes. Does Watson struggle to throw the ball accurately? Yes.

Both things can happen.

I'll go a step further and completely blow your mind, The O line can be awful, Watson can struggle to throw the ball accurately AND WR's can screw up all at the same time.

[​IMG]

I've mentioned the O line being terrible numerous times this season, but the O line playing poorly isn't an excuse for a guy who constantly struggles to throw accurate passes. Savage had to deal with the exact same O line while being much less mobile than Watson and he threw a grand total of 1 inaccurate pass.....which was caused by being hit while throwing.

There are things to blame on the O line, and there are things to blame on a QB with bad throwing fundamentals.

A few things here

1. I'm not bashing him, I'm just giving an honest and accurate assessment of his throwing game as it currently stands.
    2. People whining and crying about an honest and accurate assessment of Watson are absolutely fanboys.
    3. People grasping at things like QBR to try to defend a defenseless position are kind of pathetic, they should just cede the point and move on instead of resorting to tactics that make them appear stupid. It really isn't the end of the world if Watson isn't ready to play just yet....and those who act like it is are clearly fanboys or trolls.

I didn't like Brock, I thought he was the best thing the team had at the time, which is more an indictment of the rest of the roster. Also, I blamed those responsible for the things that went wrong. Often that was Brock, other times it wasn't.....but of course that kind of advanced thinking is too much for some around here.

I didn't "like" Savage, it's that he is currently the best passer on the team right now, which is more an indictment of the other options on the team. At the same time, Watson isn't ready and does have problems with accuracy and velocity from time to time.

You realize this is the 4th year in a row where I've merely said who was the best option at QB and had people accuse me of being a fan of that player....and it's been 4 different players....you'd think at some point you guys would get it.

Couple of things.

1. Watson didn't "win" the job, he was handed it after the O line put on a pathetic performance. The thought was that at least Watson can run for his life, not that he's the better QB.

2. Watson has shown the same shortcomings throwing the ball that he showed during the preseason and that were knocks on him before the draft. He has struggled with accuracy and velocity on his throws and like always was the case, it likely stems from improper throwing fundamentals.

Watson breaking a 49 yard run does nothing at all to address ANY of the legitimate concerns about his game.....I truly hope you can realize that.

Also, you know when it wasn't "really easy to say" that the Texans should draft Carr? His Junior year of college, and that's when I started saying it. Certainly it's easier now that pretty much everyone can see that I was right about him, but it didn't make all of the years leading up to now any easier.

whozee likes this.