1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No they weren't. Lamm wasn't any good last year, he just wasn't starting. Jeff Allen and XSF weren't good last year and both lost snaps to Aboushi. Giocamnni didn't even play here.

2. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

LMAO....... What????? all of them were decent last year? Our line was trash last year just like this year, and both tackles werent even playing last year because they werent good enough to play, and the center was injured. What the hell were you paying attention to? It sure as hell wasnt video and playback for damn sure.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

agreed, huge risks with both of those. but.

1) if BOB pulls his heads out of his ass and is a real genius he can move the pocket and the passer to mitigate pressure
    2) it's the nfl, injuries happen for what seems apparent and no apparent reasons all of the time. it is what it is.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How many interceptions did Watson throw? I get that you love your child, but at some point you are going to have to stop letting it blind you to reality. Watson threw more completions to the other team (even if one was luckily negated due to a penalty away from the ball) than Savage threw inaccurate passes all game long.

5. ipaman

either of you show me the games those guys gave up 10 sacks? hurry i'll wait just for a few.

6. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Well, we kinda can't, because, ya know, they weren't good enough to actually play in games last year.....

7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Oh, wait, you dont know, because you said they were decent last year.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah...about that...

9. ipaman

not my love child and i don't know if he's actually any good or not. but savage's 4 years in college and 4 years in the nfl proves he's not. i just want to find out now so we can try again in 2 years if watson sucks. it's better than waiting 4 years to hit the lottery.

10. ipaman

gotta find out. all of 'em... 2 years max, show me what you can do. that goes for everyone, players, coaches, staff. 2 years, if you're good keep them if not replace them. this is the pros, not college. no time to build players, supposed to find good players and let them do what they do. not good, goodbye and try to replace with a good one. viscous cycle that wins.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sold that he's not your love child given that if you were an objective person, I don't think you'd be blaming Savage for things outside of his control in order to artificially prop up Watson. If Savage was actually doing things wrong, I could understand your criticism but when a guy is going out and hitting receivers in the hands with every single pass where he's not hit while throwing it.....kind of hard to blame him.

It sounds a lot like you had your mind made up before the season and you were just looking at things to confirm your preconceived opinion rather than looking at things objectively.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

This.

I don't fully understand the defense because no one is saying he doesn't have a chance of becoming a really good QB. He is the best QB prospect that the Texans have had in a long time. We all know he runs very well, that he is excellent at buying time against the rush, that he has a very quick release, that he is bright and works very hard. However the reality is that his accuracy down the field has to get better if he is going to last in the league, and has to get a fair amount better if he is going to be a long term solution for the Texans. I don't see how anyone can think he is ready now based on his pre season performance and what they saw Sunday. He hasn't been a disappointment, he is about what was expected when he was drafted. So there is no harsh criticism that isn't warranted.

Other players have entered the league with similar skill sets; Vince Young and RGIII and Tim Tebow ultimately failed. RG III and Rich Gannon did not. Watson isn't a for sure failure or success. If you told me he was playing in Canada in 3 years I wouldn't be shocked. If you told me he was a pro bowler in 3 years I wouldn't be shocked. It all comes down to his ability to throw the ball accurately down the field and read defenses.

13. ipaman

accusing me of not being objective while you ignore 8 years of football from savage. impossible to discuss a topic with someone with that much of and type of bias. thanks for playing.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Do you believe throwing Watson out there right now as the starter is going to stunt his growth or injure him? I don't want him learning bad habits or getting injured. The Texans are not winning **** with the OL being the way it is. It can improve 50% and still be a massive issue.

15. ipaman

savage has had 8 years to show something at a high level. not enough for you i understand, so another 4 nah... 8 more years should make you all happy. slow and steady with savage, how exciting the next 8 years will be. oh boy... i hope we gotta a good one [​IMG]

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So....you think Savage's college performance matters more than his performance in preseason and in the first game of the season? I guess that makes sense as to why you think Watson is some kind of amazing QB already. You think college performance is more important than how he did in preseason or how he did in the first game of the season. Thanks for clarifying why you hold such an odd opinion.

You see, most people think that the most recent and most relevant information trumps that of old and irrelevant information. You probably thought that Aaron Rodgers was awful in 2006 and not worth having due to his lackluster performance in college and his poor performance in 2 years in the NFL.

17. ipaman

yes it's possible but makes perfect sense to me that IF his growth was stunted by a tough rookie situation then he didn't have "IT" to begin with. to me it's a clear sign that guys that have "IT" make it through those tough times as a rookie. avoiding it to protect the player (ala rodgers) rarely works and imo just delays the answer to the question that has to be answered.

as for injuries, it's the nfl man, you just gotta be smart about it but that only works to a point. **** happens in the nfl (like 5 concussion in 1 game including all TEs) when it comes to injuries.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To me I think he could just as easily end up the next Jake Locker as he could the next Alex Smith which IMO is the most likely scenarios. He'll never have the arm talent of someone like Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, but I could also see him becoming a poor man's version of one of them as a best case scenario which would be amazing.

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  19. ipaman

i think, um no.... the entire nfl thinks college matters. not sure if you know but all the nfl players come from college and they even hold this thing called a combine for college players. i could be wrong but i think they think college performances are important.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They thing college performances are important up until they see how they do in the NFL....from then on, only that matters. The greatest college QB's of all time almost always bust in the NFL, in fact, there hasn't been a QB to go on to win the SB after winning an NCAA championship since Joe Montana. So yeah, college performance means dick compared to NFL performance. That's why it's so weird that you keep holding on to Watson's "just winz" from college when we're talking about how he did in preseason and in his first game of the regular season and why you are harping on Savage's college stats instead of talking about more recent and more relevant information

Then again, it's just yet more evidence that you had your mind made up well before the season and you are only looking for things that confirm your bias while ignoring anything that goes against that narrative.