1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Context kiddo, neither of those guys camped out behind by far the best O line in the NFL, Dak did. Anyway, I'm not going to bother arguing this with you, I imagine you'll find out soon enough that you don't know what the hell you are talking about and then you'll pretend you never took the stance you are taking now. It's pretty much a pattern with people like you.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to help you learn from your mistakes so you are certain to repeat them which means I can expect you to roll out with different hot takes like this in the future Skip.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

delete

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  3. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not sure why pancakes and Patrick Starr said savage was so far ahead.

Not a fan of O'Brien constant flip fopping on the starter, but in this case he might be justified.

But, it is just one game.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Another note... I think the few that were worried that velocity measured at the combine would mean the end for Watson can go ahead and put that to rest.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The more videos I watch though, he was pretty inaccurate on several throws

7. rezdawg

He missed on some throws, but in a few of them, he missed in a way to make sure the safety coming over the top had no chance either. I'm not too concerned with his accuracy... This was his first NFL game and he's making sure to not turn the ball over.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Props to you Texans subforum posters for keeping the Watson discussion in existing Watson threads. I was expecting some new thread like "The numbers are clear: Watson should be the starter. I'm serious."

Mr. Clutch and davidio840 like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Russ has a better arm, but they are very similar in what their team's had them do. I even said this at home while watching the game last night.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Watson had a nice game. It was an excellent start, Savage is going to have to perform well to hold this kid off all year.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL...You're serious? That's a first.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. His short to mid range throws were very accurate, unlike BO. Also, velocity did not seem to be an issue. Some throws literally rocketed out of his hands.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Accuracy is and will be a valid question hanging over him for a long while and us as fans will have to live with that. I think it's pretty optimistic to think that he intentionally missed in the perfect way to not have it intercepted. One could easily say that he just got lucky. Two throws in particular stand out as simply being completely off the mark and dangerous. Eventually that will get you burned.

But, the good news is that he still looked pretty good overall so heres to watching him grow into a franchise QB. It's at least nice to have some positive reinforcement that he could be the guy...as opposed to watching Brock and instantly realize it was a bad decision.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

He looks more dynamic than any Texans QB that I have seen before.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

:D

#soon

Two Sandwiches and Plowman like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He looked like a mixed bag to me.

Positives
    He is very calm in the pocket and has a natural ability to know when to get rid of the ball.
    He ran better than he did in college, but his first instinct isn't to abandon the pass and run.
    He throws well on the run and extends plays which is huge, because eventually someone will be open.
    His release is quick and natural.
    His teammates seemed to respect him.

Negatives
    He didn't throw the ball well, he had several opportunities for huge gains but he over threw the receiver, sometimes wide open by 5 yards or more. He can't do that or teams will just shorten the field.
    The touch on his passes wasn't all that great, he had difficulty getting the ball over the receivers shoulder a few times.
    His footwork was bad. This can be good, because it if he cleans up the footwork it should help his accuracy some.
    Some of the passes called, I don't think would work against a 1st team defense and when a team has a week to prepare.

He has some of the "it" factor, and his poise and ability to extend plays is huge and is why he is a far better talent than the wooden and slow QB we saw to start the game.

Anyway, just my opinions.

18. rezdawg

Not saying he intentionally missed on most of his throws... But there were a couple throws where I'm sure Watson saw the safety coming and decided to put the ball out of reach for any possible turnover. He has continually mentioned avoiding turnovers all camp and this game is an example of that. I definitely think he missed on some throws, but missing on 4 or so throws out of 25 is not anything that concerns me for a rookie going out in his first game as a pro. Accuracy is definitely something he'll have to improve upon, but it's not something that is going to worry me at this point.

macho GRANDE and red5rocket like this.
  19. texian

texian Member

Yep, he missed some throws you just can't miss. But we knew mid/deep accuracy was an issue.

And Watson won't last a month trying to be a runaround QB in the NFL. They. Will. Blow. Him. Up.

Poise was as good or better than advertised, pocket presence better than advertised.

macho GRANDE and Mr. Clutch like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member