1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The creativity in the redzone by both Godsey and O'Brien was freaking atrocious.

None of our backs were all that good either. Miller's yards after contact was the worse in the NFL. We all know Blue doesn't have vision. And coach wouldn't run either of the other backs consistently.

Injuries to your main core at line will net those type of numbers. Allen playing hurt all year and Clark at LT was a nightmare. Newton wasnt great but he was much better than Clark. The right side was terrible last season.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If Martin isn't starting at C...that might be one of the biggest surprises for the Texans. It would be a huge disappointment if Mancz is the starter at C.

red5rocket and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow!!! Clemsons offensive line was terrible last season. They couldn't stop anything.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Sounds like only a matter of time..

Fulgore likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Watson sounds like the real deal.

Fullcourt and Fulgore like this.
  8. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1784772-preparation-remains-key-for-deshaun-watson

All eyes will continue to surround the work Deshaun Watson has put in and will continue to put in heading toward training camp. Watson has improved over the stretch since his arrival prior to rookie mini-camp and he is clearly not only putting on the field but off of it too. Watson has put his head down and focused, trying to crack the NFL code, even when coaches are not at the facility.

“He’s come a long way. He’s in here all the time,” Bill O’Brien said of Watson. “There is no questioning this kid’s work ethic. He’s in here on the weekends. I wasn’t even here this past weekend, my kid was in here. I don’t know how that happened but he was in there I think with Fitzy’s (Craig Fitzgerald) kids and saw Deshaun in there, ‘Hey dad, Deshaun was in there.’”

This has been echoed by many in the organization regarding Watson, with words like humble, hard-working, and motivated attached to his name.

Watson is using his time in Houston, plus other resources, to prepare for the upcoming season, just in case his number is called in 2017. The work ethic started prior to Clemson but he brought that mentality to college with him, always working to prove he was the starter. That is the same approach he is bringing to the Texans each and every day.

“It’s always big,” Watson said on preparing non-stop. “I want to be mentally sharp when I step on the field. I want to be able to operate the offense (and) be able to come out here and execute at a high level. I have to put the time in, pay my dues, so when I come out here, I’m ready and I can show what I have.”

Watson likes how his transition is going. The work with O’Brien and in the quarterback room are making it a positive environment for the young quarterback.

“Everything’s been going pretty smooth,” Watson explained of his transition into the Texans offense. “I’m getting a lot of help from Tom (Savage) and Brandon (Weeden). Just taking the reps that Coach OB (Bill O’Brien) is giving me and just taking advantage of my opportunity when my time comes. I’m getting better each and every day.”

It is clear that Watson is making himself at home with the Texans and the city of Houston. The work he is putting in is showing up on the field, especially with how much smoother he looks as a passer and running the offense since rookie mini-camp. Watson is liking his new home and everything that is coming with it, especially the people he is surrounded by.

“The people here have been embracing me,” Watson explained. “I’ve been embracing the city, embracing this logo, being able to represent a great organization.”

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The inaccuracy stuff came from the scouts and Rick Smith.

"There are realities about what he needs to work on; footwork and accuracy."- Rick Smith

I guess Bill O'Brien doesn't listen to them.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Well didn't BOB said he's come a long way and he's progressed? Must have meant that

11. Mr. Clutch

If he's improved his accuracy that's one thing. But Obrien says he has no idea where the inaccuracy stuff came from even though our GM and many scouting reports mentioned it

12. Fantasma Negro

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

It wasn't just Rick Smith/scout team that said that. It's listed on the scouting report and have been tossed around by darn near every media head.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He endorsed the skit out of Brock Osweiler last season as well. Besides he's the #1 receiver so what else could he say. Lol

Fullcourt likes this.
  15. Progs

Progs Member

Watson had a 67% percent completion rate in his last 2 years in Clemson. His offensive line was not that good this past year, and he tried to carried the Clemson offense because of it's deficiencies. Dude reminds me of a bigger Russell Wilson.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

But if you re-read the BoB quote he also mentions that young QBs that are great often take risks to make big plays, which every other QB can be quoted as being guilty of. He stated that when you throw into tight windows trying to make a play and turn the ball over that is viewed as being inaccurate, which in his eyes was a fall assessment.

To be fair, it's really hard to find a player that isn't inaccurate throughout his college career or has room for improvement in that department. There may be some such as Luck, Manning(s), and Newton who are sure fire prospects (I know the consensus is still out on Cam but he was legit coming out of Auburn) but they also had flaws in their games that scouts and GMs questioned as something that could be their downfall. Becoming more accurate would always be near the top of that list.

17. Fantasma Negro

18. Mr. Clutch

I don't disagree with your points, I just find it strange that he O'Brien doesn't know where the inaccuracy stuff came from when it's on his scouting report

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I remember the opening scene of Hard Knocks episode 1 where he said so confidently that both Hoyer and Mallet "can play", implying they would prove everyone wrong, sigh.

20. Mr. Clutch

It's weird he ended the camp early when we have a rookie first round QB