1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

What a cool dude:

#881 zeeshan2, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I only stated facts about the OL, whatever outlook you have is up to you. But you're right in that we weren't plagued by sacks or hurried throws but that is just one way of measuring it, we were also 22nd in QB Hits, 29th in rushing TDs, 30th in Red Zone TD%, and 18th in YPA. That's all while having the 6th most rushing attempts in the league.

In fact, PFF graded us as the 18th best OL last season and our highest graded lineman (Mancz) will likely be on the bench. Clark graded out as the worst pass blocking RT in the entire league last season and he will likely be our starter come September. Both XSF and Allen graded out pretty bad last season as well. We're closer to the worst OL in the NFL than we are to the Cowboys if you're looking at it analytically.

tierre_brown and Mr. Clutch like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Based on what? He's probably not going to start at center, but that doesn't mean he'll be on the bench. He'll be in the mix for a guard job if he can outperform anyone.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. gucci888

Sure he'll be in the mix and hope he wins out but that's why I said likely. Not sure I see him beating out XSF or Allen and a rookie backing up a rookie at C is little scary (assuming Fuller makes the team).

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well so which is it? That he is one of our best O linemen, or that he'll be unable to beat out XSF or Allen? It seems like it should be one or the other.

Fullcourt likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Patrick Starr tweeted that Savage is far ahead of Watson at this point.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Well he better be. He's been with the team for 4 seasons now. If he's not ahead of a rookie QB before the training camp then he has no business being on the roster.

8. gucci888

It's not one or the other really. Having the highest grade playing OC doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna beat out guys playing OG.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If the 2 Gs are garbage, I'd expect a good center to beat out the aforementioned garbage.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

But It is said Watson is farther along than what Savage was as a rookie.

Not too shabby

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We get a healthy Allen this year Mancz wont be beating him out. Now XSF better step his game up.

However I believe Mancz will be holding down the Center position again this season.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's next to no chance Mancz beats out Martin and if Allen and XSF beat out Mancz, it will mean the O line should be pretty damn good aside from RT where we still have nothing.

Two Sandwiches and Htownballer38 like this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why not, he was one of the bright spots on the line last season. Martin is still an unproven commodity. So it will be challenging for him to unseat Mancz as well. Maybe Martin could beat out XSF for the G position.

But hey thats a good thing because it's always a plus when there is depth at Oline positions.

#894 Htownballer38, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah wait to they get on the field in live action with pads on.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mancz beating out Martin would be like Weeden beating out Watson. I mean, it could happen, but I don't think anyone expects it to.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Patrick Starr dropping hot takes...

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I disagree here. We're talking about a player who started every game last season to a player who was the 3rd string QB. Not only that, he didn't even suit up for majority of the games last season. Apples to Walnuts here bud.

Plus like I said Mancz was our 2nd best Oline man behind Brown last season. He's the starter unless Martin beats him out I believe.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If not for an injury to Martin, you'd have never seen Mancz on the field at all. Same story for Weeden, only got on the field due to injury. Now Mancz did a pretty damn good job, but Martin was drafted to be the center of the future. If Mancz shows that it was more than a fluke last season then he'll lock down a guard spot.

20. Fantasma Negro

He's starting week one, B'OB or not