1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just wondering, what are you less on board with, the player's skillset? or the trade up to get him?

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

huge gamble....

but who'd you think would grabbed Watson between #13 and 24 if Texans didn't trade up?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason I wasn't on board last night was a combo of the two. He was my least favorite QB prospect due to his slow throwing velocity, the fact that he can't read defenses, his inconsistency in college, and how basically everything used to defend him as a prospect were intangibles. Then again, that's before I remembered that he beat Bama twice. If you can beat Bama twice, you are clearly the next great QB in the NFL. That kind of justwinz isn't something you can learn.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I think Arizona would've taken him at 13. At least there's a very high chance they would have. I believe that's exactly why the Texans felt they needed to trade to 12 if they were to get Watson.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Giants would've been a threat too at #23 IMO.

Nook likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Check your memory - he beat Bama once. Played well against them twice but was 1-1.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh man, you're right. That's quite a hit to his justwinz metric, but perhaps playing well against Bama is enough. It just doesn't sound as good saying "Doesn't matter Brian, he had 2 good games in college against Bama Brian." but it's what we have to work with and I'm not trying to be negative.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair. But at the same time you were complaining that Kizer had bad completion percentage and only won 4 games. This kid didnt even lose 4 game in his entire career. Also, he didn't justbeat Alabama. He threw for over 700 yards, 8TDs and 1INT in 2 games against a defense that has multiple NFL caliber players. Those are stats, not intangibles.
    I do not like his throw speed (although a sports science report had him at 53.4 mph not 49) but I LOVE his .35 sec release compared to Brock taking a cup of tea before getting the throw off. I think that might help negate the speed. Also, I was more on Mahomes until that speed test with David Carr, he missed the guy 15 yards down field 2-4 times, I like accuracy more than speed and Watson's completion percentage shows accuracy.

In the end, I am just justifying and making myself feel good because I trust our Round 1 picks and just like the Brock deal, I like the fact that we acknowledged an issue, found our guy and made it happen. Ppl will want to compare this to when we let Bridgewater get taken, No, I dont think we were interested in him anyways. But if BOB and Smith liked this kid as a franchise QB then they had to do this because he was gonna be gone at 25.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It's a risk but sometimes you have to roll the hard six. You only have so many years with your current good players. You get a QB now and maybe you are in a good position in a year. Wait until next y we and maybe you're in a good place TWO years from now. It would be great to get a franchise QB with a 3rd-6th round pick. It'd also be great to get a pass for 100 free blow jobs from my wife.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well with Kizer, the argument is that he's got all the raw skills and physical talent, he just needs someone to help him put it all together.....though I don't think that'll ever happen. There's no 2 ways about it, this was a really weak QB class, but I'm hoping that we got a guy that will defy the odds.

I think it's for the best though that we hype ourselves up about this as best we can though because like it or not, he's the guy we have much like how Brock was the guy we had last year. I just hope we fix the O line so this kid doesn't get himself killed.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Mark Berman is currently jacking off Watson at IAH. Lol

Nook, Genesis and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Definitely go Oline next.. With how the first round was going, I'm glad we got a QB over lineman and I REALLY did not want Bolles. The 9 on the wonderlic was proven accurate hearing him try and talk to the lady after getting drafted. Not to mention I don't feel like another Curry bringing his kid up to interviews. Sorry if that offends anyone.

I don't want to hype myself too much, but he was the #1 QB going into the draft process last year and while he had a down year after that, I still liked him. He was tied for first for me with Mahomes, then Kizer (ND teammates) then Trubisky. I don't trust Mitch after only playing so few games.. Time will tell. But I will say this, not sure if positive or not, the media and other athletes are really praising us right now, kinda feels nice lol.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, that Bolles kid sounded dumb as a bag of hammers.

basketballholic likes this.
  14. liveguy

liveguy Member

And Molly out here winning! WHEW!

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

This. So much this.

How much does she usually charge?

16. ths balla

ths balla Member

yea she is so damn fine

TheRealist137 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If he's Vick, we're not going anywhere.

19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

He's not Vick. Their styles of play are not similar in the slightest.