1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Deshaun looks fine to me

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Already has more mobility than Savage.

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

@RocketsTruth

4. conquistador#11

always thought rocketstruth had been exposed to uranium as a child but I'm a believer now!

the rehab room is more entertaining than the games.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Jared Goff ain't crap compared to Watson.

Guy is successful due to running a quirky offensive system.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah pretty surprised someone would put Goff ahead of Deshaun. Goff is having a great season, but he is in a good offensive system whereas Deshaun is the offensive system.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think part of that has to do with Watson having a bit of an interception problem. Goff and Wentz have yet to throw for as many interceptions in 14 and 13 games respectively as Watson did in 7 games. Of course if you factor in that Watson was a rookie and both of the other 2 are in their second seasons, it makes it a wash, I'm just saying that can play a factor in someone maybe picking those 2 over him.

There's also probably the "winz" factor, which is something stupid people use to rate players. The Texans were 3-4 with Watson playing, the Rams and Iggles both had much better records. Unfortunately stupid people are allowed to shape national narratives.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Surprised it wasn't factored in that Goff was absolute trash his rookie year in a regular NFL system. Goff looks every bit as promising as Alex Smith. Decent QB who is picked up by the system he is in.

I would rather have Dak than Goff.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of people blame that on Jeff Fisher being awful. Look how good both Goff and Keenum have looked now that they got away from bad coaches and coaches that didn't want them and got some competent coaching.

When it comes to Dak, he's still one of the most ridiculously overrated QB's in the NFL. If anything he proved that his success depends entirely on the O line being the best in the league and the run game being the best in the league because when both of those things took half a step back this season it turned Dak into a mediocre QB whereas some people were preparing a bust of his likeness to put in Canton last season.

That said, Goff now currently benefits from only slightly worse versions of the things Dak currently benefits from, so it's possible that has a lot to do with how good he's looked this year.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure about Goff and Wentz, but two of Watson’s interceptions were desperation heaves at the end of the game.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know, and I'm a big proponent of looking at "adjusted interceptions" which removes "hail mary" type passes along with tipped ball interceptions and adds dropped interceptions.

That said, you can't look at a raw total for one group and compare it to a revised number for another player. Also, I'm just talking about what the random ******* on the street would say, not my own personal opinion. If Watson bounces back from injury, and I have no reason to think he wouldn't, I would put him up there with Wentz as the best young QB in the game.

14. conquistador#11

Systems are significant almost as significant as having a holy phenom under center so I'm not going to belittle goff and wentz. I took us almost three seasons to pass to a tight end or involve the backs routinely on pass plays and only until watson came along to do the play action. Glorious seasons will be upon us just got to get through 2 more games this year.

15. texian

texian Member

And while making that would be when Watson told King he didn't want to play for anyone other than Bill O'Brien.

So let's fire him.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Give him a competent head coach, and that's who he'll want to play for more so than BOB.....also, what was he supposed to say? "BOB is pretty much worthless as a coach, but he's my head coach"

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I have this sinking feeling the Texans organization is going to ride Watson hard for a few years (to moderate success) until they ultimately ruin his career with terrible coaching and personnel decisions.

Run DeShaun, run for your life.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I wouldn' necessarily call a coach who has gone 9-7 two/three times with a garbage team incompetent. That is usually a sign of a damn good coach.

red5rocket likes this.