1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Marteen

Marteen Member

I don't want to get too excited, because we could be back next week saying how he still needs a lot of work.

But man did I love what I saw from him. They should've won that game, but the secondary confirmed my fears.

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Tenn is gonna be a real test next week with their defense. Really physical and powerful team in the trenches. Hope our o-line is up to the challenge.

3. showa13

showa13 Member

Jokes on Bobby aside, did anyone really see this coming? I mean he had shown his upside, but today man, he showed it off. He erased a lot of doubt as to whether he can do the quarterbacking thing. He showed he clearly can. Now to do it against a better defense and a division rival. Tough test, but he's shown the ability to rise to the occasion, I'm excited to see how he follows this game up.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, just showing that he can do it under any circumstances is enough for me. I wasn't expecting to see that kind of competence throwing the ball at any point this season. If he can do it against better defenses this year it would really bode well for his future.

Nook likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Watson is now 30-3 over the last three years (college and pro). In his three losses he put up 40, 42 and 33 points. This against bama and NE

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Finally? Wow. This offense is a mess and he made it formidable for a game. Give the kid his due, you didn't think he could play.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I did....

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

What a game, most inspiring QB performance I've seen in a few years easily. Some of the plays he was making were unreal for the NFL level, if he grows he could be not only a good/great quarterback but also have one of the most exciting play styles in football. Just hope he can combine his mobility with staying healthy.

macho GRANDE, Malaya and Nimo like this.
  9. Malaya

Malaya Member

Offhanded compliment ...

Why? Hard to admit that you can be wrong and that you can be a fanboy yourself?

Btw are you even a Texans fan?

10. Malaya

Malaya Member

Watching postgame interviews of Watt and Watson, they're not afraid to show how bad this loss made them feel. Esp. Watt--"we sucked, we sucked, what more do you want me to say?" when asked about Vrabel's defensive calls.

Watson said, "I feel bad" and couldn't get himself to elaborate any further.

Hopefully this adversity makes them work harder as a team, lifting even those who made mistakes. Good to see Watt take Watson under his wing. Both of them were standing side by side with locked arms during the anthem--leader of the offense and leader of the defense.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It wasn't piss poor, but you can tell that the majority of positive plays Watson made were not just because of the system. They were plays that other average QB's, guys we've been running out onto the field the past four years, wouldn't have made. He didn't just lead runners through their routes: he threw the ball to where they happened to be going but away from the defenders guarding them, even if it was in defiance of the route. See Griffin's TD catch, or that ridiculous pass he through across the field while scrambling left for a 35yd gain during the 2nd and 22.

We're starting to realize that Bill O'Brien's system is effective insofar as you have a QB like Brady who can go, "yeah, but..." and make adjustments in split seconds to have it suit him. Watson can do that, and no one else we've seen so far has that ability. It also makes you realize that Watson can pretty much succeed under multiple, other offensive gameplans. Doesn't have to be this Bill O'Brien Lockbox bullshit.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

The chemistry between Watson and his receivers are growing. Next week Fuller is back. Hopkins and Ellington will have more space to work with.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Don’t forget about Fedora

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Someone go tweet this jamoke. I found Bobby on twitter.

Fulgore likes this.
  15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Now that's a major league throw. Rick definitely got this one right.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Rick has been raping the first round picks.

We may need a co GM to focus on free agency.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You would think Watson has the size and statue as Big Ben or Cam the way he is tough to bring down.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

IMO the game proved that Watson can be a competent pocket passer. He stayed in there and went through his progressions. Only ran when he had to or when it was a designed run for him.

If he can remain a pocket passer first + his ability to run/extend plays, I think we found our QB. Seems like the kid has a high football IQ as well.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I think he missed big time on KJ. Never liked that pick and wanted Peters but oh well. Hopefully he addresses that terrible secondary in the offseason.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And rounds 3, 4, 5, 6... etc.