1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson: A Comparison

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, May 2, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Uhm.... every team that signs a free agent?...... How many meetings do you think Stephon Gilmore attended in Foxboro before the Patriots signed him literally minutes after free agency opened?

I think, in hindsight, the Texans would probably take it slower - but it's a frantic stretch and they didn't want to lose him. But it's not terribly uncommon to sign free agents sight-unseen.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I too wouldn't mind Savage starting but they couldn't David Carr Watson now because they have a way better OL than Carr.

Yaosthirdleg and justtxyank like this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is exactly why I think they should have hired Chip Kelly when they had the chance.

4. raining threes

5. raining threes

Did you watch Allen/Clark play last yr?

They were really bad.

6. raining threes

Kinda like they turned on Oswieller?

He's black right?

I've blocked him out of my mind and cant remember his race.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wow. Never saw this post. Stupid post is stupid.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Clark wasn't as bad when playing on the left side. Allen played hurt and I expect a veteran like him to have a bounce back year.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I blame the last 2 seasons debacle on bad QB play mostly.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Stephon Gilmore was basically a 5 yr starter. His 2nd yr started 9 games; but no less than 12 games every other year.

The Patriots faced Buffalo twice a yr.....scouting him each time. Brock started 7 games prior. Got star QB
    money. Pick another example similar......maybe Matt Flynn?

#150 Jatman20, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans had two joint practices with the Broncos. They saw him then and even mentioned so after the signings. It is not game film but it was a good close up.

12. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Joint practices.......(in preseason). I always tell people not to judge players in preseason vs vanilla no blitzing
    Non-exotic defenses.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

You should also be telling people that you can sometimes learn more about a player by how he practices. Sometimes.

14. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

This is true Nimo. The idea is to see how a player holds up against competition one-on-one.

Seeing a defensive corner interacting with the safety covering his back. Then another play without that safety
    protecting that Corners back. A left tackle going one-on-one with a defensive end and no TE or RB helping to
    chip block. I believe Watt got into schuffles with defenders because he kept embarrassing them; but I don't believe
    Cushing, Mercilus, Clowney played (I would need to know who exactly played). Do you really get
    the full effect of an NFL defense without key players and no blitzing up the A-gaps?

The knock on Derek Carr was: he panics with a little pressure up the middle. A key game vs UCLA where
    they blitzed up the middle constantly......and Derek Carr looked terrible against it. What Oakland has done
    is built one of the best O-Lines in the game to protect him. Not every team has done the same. Dallas is
    another team that has been building that O-line for years.

15. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Me personally, I don't care too much for spread offense college QB's. Or read-option college QB's.

This article expresses my sentiments.
    The 3rd or 4th comment by Ajar21 at the end of the article is more or less in the ballpark.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/...ation-spread-offense-kyle-shanahan-john-lynch

@Nimo. That is true. Watt played; but I'm not sure Clowney, Cushing, Mercilus played. I would need
    to see who played. Is it a real test if guys are not blitzing up the A-gaps?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Schaub had an average at best arm

He had some good years

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stephen Gilmore isn't a QB with limited starts. They had 68 games of tape on him.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And how does meeting with a person alleviate lack of film/experience?.... Having watched Brock carry himself this past year, do you have any doubts he would have aced the interview?

As @Nimo mentioned: they practiced with the Broncos and I'm sure Smith, who had a history with the team, was able to garner some intel from Elway, who was likely unguarded about it because the thought of Osweiler leaving at that time was non-existent. Also, do you think, perhaps, there's a chance the Texans scouted him out of college?

Anyway... the point is......... the Texans aren't the first team, certainly not the last to blindly throw cash at a free agent.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think an interview would have made a difference because it's pretty clear that Rick/OBrien arent good scouts at the QB position anyway. It's just an example of the incompetence.

20. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk Member

Watson at UH has a MUCH MORE Impressive College performance in my mind, Breaks any and everything Case Keenum ever did in 3 years.

Competition. People are comparing him to QB busts before that had similar numbers and played against very inferior competition. Competition and not participation matters.