1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose to the Cavs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

hopefully this could deter melo from signing here if bought out.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We are mighty close to the hard cap. Even $2m more could further complicate a Melo deal, as we are already taking in more Melo salary than we are sending out. Any Melo deal must not increase our team salary above the hardcap. We don't need to complicate that by having to add $2m more to our outgoing just because we signed Rose.

Personally, I don't want to add anyone else until Melo is resolved.

AB423 and davidio840 like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

4. Fantasma Negro

5. Nook

Nook Member

Derrick Rose is not a good or even average NBA player.

He really doesn't add anything to the Rockets.

I doubt he does much for the Cavs.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is better than Dwil.

7. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Could we do a S&T for him that would be part of the Melo deal to avoid this?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My point was "it adds complications to the Melo deal." A need for a SnT would be a fairly significant, unnecessary complication on an already very complicated deal likely involving 3 to 4 teams.

btw: With the Troy signing, we are now $10m below the hard cap. I actually thought we were closer. I mistook the Luxury Tax line (which we are now $4m away from) with the Apron/Hard Cap line which is $10m away.

9. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Having watched him last season I can tell you he most definitely is not a minimum salary player.

PersianRocket likes this.
  10. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Compare Rose and George Hill's season last year and Rose was better in nearly every single aspect and Hill signed a massive contract.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I watched him too, but I'm talking about the modern NBA landscape, not his value in a vacuum. The market will determine his salary and that's limited by teams with current contracts. Sure, if everyone's contract was suddenly scrapped and we started at zero, some team could conceivably give him a long-term deal. But no team gave him that, or even a JJ Reddick or KCP deal. The teams left with cap space aren't offering it to him and the teams with MLE's aren't offering it to him. If he's definitely not a minimum salary player, then where's the big offer, or even rumors of a big offer?

I don't think you're comparing "nearly every single aspect" as you wrote. The NBA is played differently and evaluated differently nowadays.
    Last season:
    Rose 21.7% 3pters, 3.0 win shares, 10th on the Knicks in def rating (def win shares per game 0.014)
    Hill 40.3% 3pters, 5.9 win shares, 2nd on the Jazz in def rating (def win shares per game 0.052)

rm365 likes this.
  12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If Thibs were coaching Milwaukee, then maybe, but having Rose and Greek Freak on the floor at the same time would be having the 2 worst 3pt shooters who are high usage players in the NBA. They would need like multiple snipers to have floor balance.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Rose averaged 1.3 more points (on three more attempts per game). Hill shot better from both two and three point range, had a better assist to turnover ratio, played better defense, was extremely efficient, and could play off the ball.

In what aspect did Rose outplay Hill last season? Do you mean he averaged slightly more points on middling efficiency?

malakas and Pen15clubber like this.
  14. BackdoorHarden

Listening to Cavs radio this morning and their fans and talk guy thinks DROSE > KLAY. ROFL

"Derrick Rose is better than Klay, don't you think?"

"Oh yea, definitely. If you look at how Klay struggled fitting in with Durant, it's not even close that Rose is better than Klay"

Cavs fans and sport talk guys actually think Rose, Irving, James, and Love > than Warriors 4.

I guess they forgot in basketball, you have to play offense and DEFENSE!

15. BackdoorHarden

People always forget that NBA players have to play Defense also and that 3 point% and 3 points made makes a big difference in today's game.

People like Phil Jackson and the Cavs forget that Defense and 3 points matter today

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Why in the world were you listening to Cavs radio? I hope you're not unfortunate enough to live in Cleveland... if so, truly sorry breh.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Can someone here with some sense explain why the Lakers would want Rose on their young, developing team? Seems like a selfish, delusional drama queen would not be a good ingredient to add.

Rose and Lonzo Ball are a match made where?

Even for one year it doesn't make sense to me.

18. BackdoorHarden

Nothing else better to do at work but listen to ITUNE radio. The Cavs fans are the worst. They really think Tristan is as good as Draymond. Irving is better than Curry and now they think Rose is better than Klay.

Then I turn to the Knicks radio and it's just sad. They are out of hope that they gave up and still talk "Remember when we had Lin for 2 weeks...wow...best time ever."

And then I turn to Lakers radio and Mychal Thompson is saying Lakers will make the playoff . Of course , he said Lakers would win 45 games easily...last year

el gnomo likes this.
  19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Glad to hear you aren't stuck in Cleveland. I don't really know any Cavs fans, but judging by their twitter posts, they do seem like an awful breed.

Mychal Thompson has to stay positive since he works for the team, and he's going to be even more overboard now that his boy Magic is running the show.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Running trains promote team unity?