1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derogatory terms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jul 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

giddyup, I meant it as a term of endearment buddy! :)

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Mrs. JB, oughtn't you change your signature...? :D

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Where is Steve Martin when you really need him? "You can call me...."or "You can call me...."but whatever you do don't call me Kelvin Cato.

4. Princess

Princess Member

How true! I know that there are some truly hateful words and people out there. However, people also need to not take offense so easily. Sometimes, it just looks like people are trying to pick a fight over language and deogatory terms. Just be better than everyone else and let it go.

5. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Point taken. :)

It was an honorary title conferred upon me by Clutch himself (whom I am acquainted with) so I was not offended by it.

However, on your good advice, I will now become...

6. Princess

Princess Member

Can I be "Hangout Girl" then? ;)

I hate being called a woman. It makes me feel old (no offense please).

7. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

rimbaud,

You have clarified things. I can see your point.

8. Princess

Princess Member

I don't take offense when people call Texans "hicks" or "rednecks" or a whole slew of other terms. I know I'm not like that and that's all I need to know.

9. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I pass the title on to you, Princess. Use the power wisely. :)

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Can I have some fun with both Hangout Girl <B>and</B> Hangout Woman?

:D

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for you. My only complaint is the continuation of the stereotype - not that my feelings get hurt. I have no accent and people are always shocked that I am from Texas, so it is not personal.

Go be rude to rockHEAD some more.

12. Princess

Princess Member

Why does the stereotype bother you? Most people are getting over it, but it's still fun. Why can't stereotypes be fun?

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You wouldn't understand. You are too white, too young, too "girly," not smart enough, too racist, go to UH, and live outside the loop.

14. Princess

Princess Member

Is that supposed to be funny or are you trying to prove some sort of point?

15. outlaw

outlaw Member

who here uses the words "***" or "queer" on a regular basis?

16. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Princess,

I, too, applaud your openness in not getting offended easily.

I think the problem lies in your assertion that 'most people are getting over it'.

Maybe your observations of people's non-reaction to those characterizations support your view. However, I think its safe to say many still feel uncomfortable when they are made.

Instead of questioning one's sensitivity to a stereotype, maybe we should understand their feelings and act accordingly.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'll admit i used to call people *** in a joking manner in high school...maybe college. don't anymore.

i sometimes say something is queer if it's not right....or if something is odd about it...but doesn't that fit a Webster's definition? maybe i'm wrong here..i'm not sure.

i recognize that *** in particular can be pretty offensive to people...i've removed it from my vocabulary. no need to offend someone when, 1. i really don't mean it to be offensive -- lost all meaning in terms of homosexuality; and 2. i can say what i mean in a way that won't offend anyone.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When I moved out of Texas, a lot of people wondered where was my accent. Only hateful people really made it an issue.

I believe that derrogatory terms is an extension of a bigger issue: cultural awareness and how to get it across. There are so many volatile subjects these days, and it seems so PC to dance around it. But silence is only promoting ignorance. On the other hand, how can you get ideas across without offending the other person? Most likely your understanding of the subject pales in comparison to what the other guy identifies with, so you're bound to say something stupid.

I think the problem in America is that political correctness is only perpetuating stereotypes of other ethnicities instead of helping us bridge our gaps. Labeling people and giving them stereotypes is a very natural human trait. And you can't say it's PC to ignore the race of the person and take him for what she/he is. That is the greater goal, but a person's identity and beliefs is what makes them who they are.

And that's why when some great tragedy happens, like 9/11, occurs we fall back on those sterotypes, forget about political correctness, and rely on our ignorant assumptions based on fear.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I always think of it two ways:

1. If it is offensive to the person I'm saying it to, no matter what I may think, it is impolite to treat them that way. I always think, "If this were my grandmother (God rest her soul), would I tell her to screw off if she didn't like it?" Since I wouldn't treat my grandmother that way, why would I treat someone else that way?

2. If I met this person in a dark alley, would I call him a name that offended him knowing he could kick my ass? Nope.

If it won't pass either one of those tests, I figure it is the right thing to do to be nice to people and treat them with respect. It's the only way to get respect back from people.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's very true Jeff, but there are so many issues and misconceptions the media has and what each of us have. I'm Chinese/Taiwanese/American/ Asian or whatever you want to put it and there are times when someone says something stupid that makes me think "what a stupid SOB". But mostly they aren't being malicious, rather trying to be funny. It's ignorance at it's best.

But deep down, I know it's a process. You can tell someone that it's offensive, or you can become angry and call him a dumb****. You can get your message across but how you give it determines everything. It also depends on how dense the person you're trying to reach...

The goal of political correctness does not match the means. You can force someone to not say offensive thoughts by either fear or castigation, but you can't force him/her not to think it. This isn't tolerance, more like censorship at a social level. With respect comes tolerance, and unfortunately our country has ways to go.