1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derek Fisher about to be new New York Knicks coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Derek Fisher is finalizing an agreement on a 5-year, $25 million deal to become the Knicks coach, league sources tell Yahoo.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/476105978803257345">June 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

is this supposed to make Melo happy? I can't see him being pleased with getting a first year coach to right the ship in New York.

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I was really hoping Thibs would coach but I don't think he'll leave the Bulls.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I know people hate him here, but that's definitely not the sentiment around the league. I'm not sure it's enough to make Melo stay, but who knows.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What have Fisher done in coaching? Absolutely nothing, he was not even a high school assistant coach. I guess Phil just want a yes man. I guess that is the same reason why Houston have McHale as head coach.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

PJax is the coach. DFish becomes his public face.

Fisher is in a perfect position as any slap on him as a coach etc etc is a direct slap on the MontanaMan. Git along little dogie...

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Melo is a moron if he stays in NY now. That team is cannon fodder even in the weaker East with a head coach that has no coaching experience.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Five years for 25 millions, NY just has too much money to waste. I do not think Knicks will go anywhere with Jackson and Fisher, Melo should join the rockets soon.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That Riley/ Spoe relationship?

Rocket River
    Now Phil and Riles can continue their rivalry behind the scenes

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good deal for Fisher. That's good money for him, money he wouldn't be able to make normally without an in from Jackson. A GM that's never GM'ed and a coach that's never coached. All for only $17mil a year. Sweet. I assume $17mil is the highest expenditure for a GM/coaching combo, maybe one of the highest in all of sports? And I'm 99.9% certain they are also the least experienced.

#10 Ziggy, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  11. underrated015

underrated015 Member

are they going to contend this year with first year coach on board? how old is melo? all signs point to him leaving unless he reallys loves NY that bad.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Hope he flops.

2 people like this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

Has Fisher officially retired as a player yet? I thought the Knicks just got fined for tampering with him just last week??

14. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Am I the only one that read the thread title as "Derek Fisher about to show the world he's on (insert coach name)'s level"

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Whatever team he ends up on will instantly become my most hated NBA team.

1 person likes this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Sounds like it's going to be a double flop.

[​IMG]

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Spoe was an coordinator/asst. coach for 11 years, mostly under Riley, before becoming head coach. I understand the comparison but I think that is a totally different working relationship than player/coach as Fisher and Jackson were.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Just furthers my contention that 80% of NBA coaches are a toss up.... there are a few like Pop or Thibs or Carlisle that REALLY matter... but that isn't the vast majority.

McHale to Houston..... Jackson to GS... Kerr to GS.... Fisher to NY .... Kidd to NJ .... all of these guys had no coaching experience before taking over as head coaches... and look for the trend to continue. Teams are looking for "leaders" and leaving the X's and O's to assistants.

19. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

[youtube]y9hxwgdD7UE?start=241[/youtube]

20. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

He should just take some time off to be with his kids and family.

1 person likes this.