1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Depeche Mode: Playing the Angel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Oct 13, 2005.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I must say that I've been disappointed with some of their later stuff but this one is very good. Out of 12 tracks I like 50% of them alot The rest is interesting nonetheless. I'm quite disappointed I won't be going to their concert now. :(

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dr. Girlfriend: Sweetie, isn't that the guy from Depeche Mode?
    The Monarch: Oh, no way! Where? Holy crap, he's with a girl!
    Dr. Girlfriend: Oh yeah, that guy is totally straight. I saw a whole thing about him on the VH1.
    The Monarch: But he's the guy from Depeche Mode. It's impossible.
    Dr. Girlfriend: Straight.
    The Monarch: Come on! He's in Depeche Mode!

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've had the album for 3 weeks now, and I completely LOVE it. I'm a huge fan, I've been to over 30 DM concerts since '88 and in my opinion this album is #2 behind Violator. No doubt about it! Love "John the Revelator", "Precious", "Suffer Well (Behind the Wheel sound-off) and "The Darkest Star."

I got through to Toyota Center for tix two Saturdays ago when they went on sale and scored section D row 1 tickets on the floor. Damn brokers vultured the first section in less than 10 minutes. :mad:

4. BiGGieStuFF

Yeah same here! I rank it 2nd right behind Violater :). I've always been a fan but it's nice to have a gem like this to renew your enthusiasm for the band. Too bad I can't say the same for Erasure :(

5. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

I just bought tickets too!! Sec 411, Row 3...can't wait!

6. rubytuesday

so what did y'all think? i really enjoyed the concert last night! i had tickets up top but since it didn't sellout, we went up there and they traded our seats to the lower bowl. bad thing is i was then seperated from my friends that were supposed to be sitting next to us. i've been listening to their new album and i like the more upbeat ones. concert last night was a blast i thought. it was my first DM one but they are good live, keeping the crowd into it, dancing, etc. good times! :D

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Concert was great. I'm actually a big fan of The Bravery, so their opening act was 30 minutes of bliss. I had seats on the 3rd row on the Floor. I had never seen Depeche Mode live, so it was a sight to be seen. Great energy. I got kind of lost when the other guy began to sing. I never knew anyone but Dave Gahan sang, but then I again I don't know much about Depeche Mode.

8. rubytuesday

The Bravery was pretty good. I enjoyed them too and thought their set was kinda short.

I'm not a megafan so there is a lot I don't know. There were a lot of slow songs that they played but I liked the other guy alot. Do you know the name of the first slow one he played? I just remember it was the one with rose buds on the tv screen.

I love their voices and definitely, the energy was there, even in the crowd.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think this CD is anywhere near as good as Violator, but it's got some good stuff. Tracks #2 and #5 are good. I like #5 just because it's for his kids as he and his wife put them through the struggles of their divorce.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yep, #5 is my favorite track as well.

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Not much is..

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good point. I was getting my hopes up, I guess. :)

13. BiGGieStuFF

Number 11 here for me. I don't know what it is about it though. Maybe it's the whining and the bitterness of the song I like.

14. LonghornFan

The first solo Martin sang was Damaged People, but the one with the rose buds on the screens was Home off of the Ultra album...although the version he sang Monday night was a jazz mix of the song and it was excellent! Loved the concert, as it was my 19th or 20th time to see 'em live since '88. I was kind of disappointed with the setlist though. I still wish they would play Rush, It's No Good and In Your Room instead of some of the overplayed tunes like Never Let Me Down and Just Can't Get`Enough. We were on the floor only a few rows from the catwalk (thank you Mr. Security man) and thankfully the acoustics in Toyota enter were much improved over the Summit. Great place for this concert.

I posted my review on DM.Com in the Houston thread, as I'm a uber fan like that.

#14 LonghornFan, Nov 9, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  15. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

delete.

#15 TMac640, Nov 9, 2005
  16. LonghornFan

[​IMG]

If you want more pics of the Houston show send me an email and I'll send 'em over to you via Al Gore's internets. :cool:

#16 LonghornFan, Nov 9, 2005
  17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've been an on again off again DM fan for about 7 or 8 years. I saw them once live at the Woodlands and thought it was a great show. I'll have to pickup this new cd after reading the good reviews here.