1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DenverPost.com] Rockets interested in Earl Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 18, 2005.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, this teams biggest problem is giving up dribble penetration. Watson would cure alot of that bigtime. I would feel much more comfortable with Watson ball hawking Jason Terry or Tony Parker.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I guess Watson would be a benefit defensively. But I hate, hate, hate the way we can get shut down offensively sometimes (or go into horrid slumps on our own). I would much rather go for an offensive upgrade than Watson, who's shooting all right this year but hasn't proven he can do it in the past over the course of a season.

I'd much rather wait for Seattle or Sacto to pack it in so that we can make an offer for Allen or Bibby. Expiring Contracts + Head + 1st rounder wouldn't be a bad offer for Allen if they decide to go into rebuild mode. And Bibby might be had for a similar package with a 2nd rounder instead of 1st. And they might even swap Kenny Thomas for Howard since that would shave off a contract year.

That would add A LOT of salary. But it's one of those home run balls that could put this team over the top. And it's not like these guys (Allen, Bibby) wouldn't still have value if things don't work out. The only problem is whether the Sonics and Kings will get to that point of trading them away.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Since when are we in the Ray Allen sweepstakes? And more importantly, why exactly would we want to trade our prized rookie along with picks/expiring contracts to take on yet another max contract for a 30 year old player whose contract runs through the end of the decade?

Don't get me wrong, Allen is a hell of a player that could help us but you can say that about a lot of players in this league we have no chance at acquiring.

Pretty much the same story with Bibby, although he could help us more than Allen could. Allen is the better player but our lack of a true PG has been killing us for years. Only problem is, again, massive contract and for somebody who wouldn't be an upgrade (if anything, downgrade) defensively. Opposing teams would still be shredding us from the perimeter, the only catch is our offense would be better and it would take a ton of pressure off T-Mac.

So if it came down to overlooking the fact that these teams would prefer to deal these players to the Eastern Conference (if they are even on the block in the first place), and I had to pick one of them to pull the trigger on I suppose would I have to go with Bibby.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

all good points. stealing the scale from ESPN INSIDER i would give this trade a probability of 1/5. ending contracts, picks, and a good young player is a very good offer for anyone. as you said, do they even want to trade him? would they even consider trading him to a western conference team?

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Why would the Nuggets want a PF in Boozer and his fat contract when they have already have PF KMart and his fatter contract? The Nuggets are looking for perimeter help.

6. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They also want to dump Kmart. It is unfortunate there are no takers. :).
    Maybe Isiah would trade Starbury for him. Ha ha.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nah, they already have like 5 PF's one of which is channing fry who is playing awesome. he will be thier PF for years to come.

if i were denver i would hate the deal for boozer (nene and miller) after almost getting pierce for the same package.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Antonio Daniels is riding the pine in Washington.

Also, Jiri Welsch is not getting very many minutes in Milwaukee. We could probably get him for a pick.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why would Nugs send EW to a West team?

IMO - no trades til Artest is dealt, then floodgates open around The Association.

10. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

What the hell? You guys have enough combo guards as it is. Unless this involves Wesley I don't see how this trade helps you at all, other than provide another player to blame for not giving the ball to Yao.

11. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Obviously its going to invlove a gaurd. It helps us significantly if you read any of the posts, we need watson's defensive presence against quicker gaurds. Plus a whole lot of injuries right now.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What is your deal with combo guards and why do you think Watson is one?

13. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Watson at the MLE, no way...

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

One of the trades rumored around for Artest has been Watson and Nene to Atlanta, Harrington and whatever to Indy, and Artest to Denver.

If this is indeed being discussed, I wonder if Atlanta would be more interested in an Alston Swift combination instead of Watson Nene.

15. Toast

Toast Member

I'm not so sure he's indeed any sort of upgrade over Alston.

Alston can rake in the steals. And for a PG he rebounds above average. I think I'd rather stick with Alston. Let's see how well he bounces back from this ... injury.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

What's up with this? I don't follow the Wizards but I remember since nearly everybody on this board was infatuated with Daniels, vehemently defending my point that Daniels would have been no upgrade over Mike James.

Now James' stock is as high as its been all season, all he has to do is keep playing well until he gets dealt to a playoff team he will undoubtedly help (Sound familiar?).

......and Daniels rides the pine.

17. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Wesley's outside shooting? :eek:

18. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

:D I must have mis-read but I thought the thread title said Earl Cureton.

19. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Fair enough.

Nothing, the one with Paul is an entirely different issue. It's just that you guys have Alston, Sura, Head, Wesley, DA, possibly even Norris, which are not point guards, and results to neverending rants of the ball not going to Yao and T-Mac overstressing himself. I like Watson, but he's the poor man's Mike James (pre-Toronto stat padder) - he brings defense and a respectable jumpshot but zero in the realm of playmaking.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I definetly take Watson over Rafer. Younger, better defender, higher % shooter who seems on an upward trajectory, and fewer chemistry/coaching issues.

But I would not give up a #1 pick (+Rafer) to make it sweet enough for Denver, so I don't see it happening. And I defintely don't see 10 mil year lock up for PGs in Alston/Watson on the same team.

I'd like to have Watson, just don't see it happening.