1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver Trading Nurkic to Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Feb 12, 2017.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Thats what I was thinking. Seems like he is exactly what we are missing

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is the 1st rounder over to Portland confirmed...regardless, I think folks are sleeping on Plumlee.

heypartner likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds like Nurkic and approx 20th pick for the best of the Plumlees. And to think Morey almost got a pick like that for DMo.

Oh, and INB4 someone says Nukic is a 17-11 player on a per-36 basis.

RocketsFan0 and Plowman like this.
  4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'm assuming this is lining up an Okafor trade?

Vonleh, Festus, 2017 Memphis first, protected 2018 first for Okafor & Holmes?

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Nurkic is salty as ****, if he doesn't play. I can't imagine the issue with chemistry between him and Capela, both want to start. Both are borderline starters, I rather people like Trez and Nene who are fine alternating nights. That's more harm than good.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

This seems more a lose-lose situation to me...even though, i'd give the Blazers an edge, Plumlee is a nice player to watch and even though as today he's the better player, in the long run he can't be your starting center...Nurkic needs to develop, to work on his game and his body, fix his attitude a bit but he does have the potential to be a better center than Plumlee, he also gives Portland one more year to work with the cap instead of overpaying another player...plus they get a 1st so...

7. ilias

ilias Member

This makes no sense. Plumlee is an expiring waiting to get paid, playing in the same position as the Nuggets best player. He will walk in the summer. Denver basically paid a first rounder to get rid of a young, starter-quality center signed at rookie-scale contract, instead of receiving at least a high first rounder back. Nurkic is a pretty good player. I really don't get it.

Richie_Rich and hakeem94 like this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Plumlee is extremely underrated. He's not to blame for Portland's defensive woes, that starts with their backcourt. He's an upgrade over Nurkic in almost every category. But I still don't know why Denver does this trade. Are they going for the twin towers approach with Jokic and Plumlee? Because Plumlee is going to get paid big bucks and I doubt it's to be an expensive reserve. There have to be future moves.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I know this is the good Plumlee but still Denver getting fleeced by giving up the 1st rounder and Nurkic

10. heypartner

I agree. The trade is pretty even (Plumlee is underrated, Nurkic overrated), except why is Denver doing it?

I suppose Jokic is a high-post passing big, as well as ability to play low post. Plus, he can shoot the three...making him a legit Spread Big even without the passing and other stuff. On the offensive side, I can understand that high-post might be best place for Jokic, and you could conceivably have a "twin tower" big in the low post with him. Defensively, hmmmmm

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

for a couple of months rental

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's all a big "?"...i don't really expect them to play him with Jokic, more like as a 6th man with some starts when the match up requires it, like aganist the Spurs maybe...will be interesting to see how much he'll get paid though, personally i'm not as confident as you, less teams will have money this summer, especially to throw away, and even though Plumlee is definitely a good player, i'm not sure he can be a starting 5 on a legit team so who knows...maybe they'll be able to resign him to a good deal. The major problem they'll have IF i'm right about him coming off the bench is that i'm not sure the player is going to be happy about this move, i mean, in that case he's going from being a starter in a mediocre team, to come off the bench in another mediocre team, eh...

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

double post

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

denver smh ugg-ets

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Man I've been saying nurkic is a 17/10+ player and for rockets to trade for him. The guy is gonna be a beast.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

triple post smh my internet messed up, sorry

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. heypartner

Unfortunately, he had pretty major knee surgery after his rookie season. Looks like Denver has given up on him. He never got over the 20 mpg hump, to be a real rotation player.

I advise against extrapolating out a career 17mpg player's stats to 36 mpg and call him a 17/11 player. Portland definitely did not fall for that, and doesn't look like Nurkic's draft team thinks he is a 17/11 player, either.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Interesting.

Regardless, this is a slam dunk trade for the Blazers. They must be thrilled at getting this value for a guy that was leaving for nothing this summer.

19. heypartner

the title of this thread really should be Portland trading Plumlee for Denver's 1st rounder (from Memphis).

That's the same value Morey got for DMo, imo ... it was ~14th pick at the time vs this highly likely 20th pick or worse. And this board went berserk. I agree that Portland is likely happy, but someone is taking Plumlee for a bottom 1st round ... that's his value, imo. I don't see it *not* happening, if they were intent on shopping him around.

It's just a matter of finding someone (like Detroit for DMo) who wants Plumlee's RFA rights.

imo, the rest of the trade is Portland's 2nd rounder for Nurkic. With that knee surgery that affected his whole 2nd season, I'm not seeing him having much higher value. Portland shipping a 2nd rounder as a flyer on Nurkic.

#39 heypartner, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Mason has been playing very well this season for those surprised he netted what he did. Putting up 11-8-4 with 1 block and 1 steal.

IMO it makes little sense for either team. Portland obviously the winner though, Nurkic has more upside, is younger, and has one more year locked on a rookie contract. That being said, Mason is a better fit for the Blazers (probably better player right now) with his athleticism, passing and defense. But Nurkic won't be too far of a drop off and will likely improve.

Mason is expiring and will be a RFA this off-season.

Denver, gives up Nurkic, 1st just to get another center back, a older, more now ready center when they needed to clear space for Jokic. An expiring center who will get paid. Why would they pay Plumlee when they have a future franchise player in Jokic? Horrible for Denver. Do they plan on putting Jokic at the 4?

Bigger surprise is that they both are fighting for the 8th seed right now too.

Pen15clubber likes this.