1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Denver Post] Wafer's career takes off with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Wafer's career takes off with Rockets
    By Chris Dempsey
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 01/19/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

For three seasons, Von Wafer had fallen into the category where so many players with unsatisfying professional careers slip. He was the guy with talent who never truly got an opportunity.

Before the start of this season, there was little reason to believe that would change.

But it has. And in a big way.

The former Nuggets guard has found a niche with the Houston Rockets and has parlayed his chance to play into the best month in his young NBA career. When the Nuggets meet the Rockets today in Houston, Wafer will appear on Denver's scouting report.

Who would have thought that would happen?

"I've just been getting a chance to get out there, getting a chance to get some experience," said Wafer, who has led the Rockets in scoring twice. "There's only so much you can see sitting on the sideline. But Coach (Rick Adelman) gave me a chance out there, and I'm just trying to make the most of it."

In eight games in January, Wafer is averaging 16.3 points and 2.8 rebounds and is shooting 53.6 percent from the field, including 43.2 percent from the 3-point line. His eight double-figure scoring games this month are more than he had in his entire career before this season. Overall, his 9.6 points per game, 2.2 rebounds, 47.6 percent shooting from the field and 40.7 percent shooting from the 3-point line are the highest averages of his career.

Wafer has played in 22 games and has started a career-high eight times. He appeared in 21 games with the Nuggets last season, which was his previous high for games played with one team. But those were mostly mop-up roles. Now he has hit the prime time.

"It didn't work out here," Nuggets guard J.R. Smith said. "He didn't have the best of luck, but I'm glad to see him doing well. He was always in the gym and playing hard."

Wafer's opportunity came out of necessity for the Rockets, who suffered backcourt injuries and are still without Tracy McGrady, Ron Artest and Luther Head. And while Wafer says he's not certain how long he will play extended minutes, he also acknowledges he is more equipped for success this season than any other.

In Denver, Wafer's biggest lesson was toughness. The Nuggets used him sparingly, sent him down to the Colorado 14ers of the NBA Development League and generally couldn't find a spot for him. They eventually traded him to Portland.

"I feel like I just got stronger mentally, being in Denver," he said. "It helped me get stronger mentally just knowing that there's more than basketball involved. You've got to wait your turn and just be patient."

The Rockets called this season when most teams didn't. Wafer signed a one-year, non-guaranteed contract for just under $800,000 and made the team. His success in Houston has been good for his confidence, but it has likely also bought him more years in the NBA. He says his preference is to return to the Rockets.

"This is really the only team that would give me an opportunity," Wafer said. "No one else did. These guys brought me in. I would love to be a (longtime) Rocket. I love the fans, I love the city. I own a house here. I love it here."

Chris Dempsey: 303-954-1279 or cdempsey@denverpost.com

Denver at Houston

Noon, ALT, KCKK 1510 AM

Spotlight on Yao Ming: The Great Wall of Houston has been superb in his last two games, tallying 19 points, 17 rebounds and five assists against the Lakers and then making all 12 field-goal attempts against the Heat. Yao is averaging 19.7 points and 9.7 rebounds and scored 32 points Dec. 16 in a 108-96 victory over the Nuggets. "He's a special player that's getting better and has the passion to get better," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "Now, can the Rockets make that next step to where they're competitive for the championship?"

Nuggets: Coach George Karl is contemplating whether to put Linas Kleiza back in the starting lineup or start Anthony Carter. J.R. Smith has been struggling in his past four games, shooting 12-for-58 (20.7 percent). . . . In his blog at blogmaverick.com, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he is waiting to hear from the Nuggets with regard to a charity to donate his $25,000 fine. Cuban said if he doesn't hear from the Nuggets, he will donate the money to the NHL Players' Association's Goals & Dreams Fund in the names of Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore, who suffered a career-ending injury from Bertuzzi's on-ice attack. Cuban said it would be "a reminder of what could have happened, and that not every retaliation attempt misses." Smith threw an elbow and missed Dallas' Antoine Wright. . . . Carmelo Anthony (broken hand) said he still is shooting to return Jan. 30 against Charlotte: "It's kind of getting boring right now. I've got to keep myself motivated."

Rockets: Tracy McGrady (knee) and Ron Artest (ankle) could miss today's game because of injuries. . . . The Rockets have won four of their past five games. . . . In two games against Denver this season, guard Aaron Brooks has averaged 16.5 points and 5.0 assists, well above his season averages of 10.4 and 2.6. . . . The Rockets have won three consecutive home games against the Nuggets. Benjamin Hochman, The Denver Post

2. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I'd love to keep him. There is no need for Head with him here.

Also - "UPDATE: A total of 36 Rockets fans will be attending the Rockets at Bulls game on Feb 28th!"

Man is the arena going to be THAT empty?!? ;)

3. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

lol, it seems every night we are playing a team wafer played on before HAHAHA..

that's a good thing, every night he has to play hard to prove they were wrong to cut him :D

4. jsmee2000

Better? Actually, we will account for 0.17% of the total seating capacity.

5. blender

blender Member

I didn't realize Wafer played for the Nuggets last season. Since they will be very familiar with his game, it should be interesting how they try to defend him.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I love the kid, says the right things. Loves Houston, the fans, the team, thankful to the Lord for this opportunity. If he keeps it up, I see a Chuck Hayes type of deal for him in his future.

7. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Much better :)

8. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

such a humble guy. with the way he's been playing most players would have their ego blow up. does all his talking on the court.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wafer's been playing great, but I still have to wait a bit before commiting big money to him. I think we do have matching rights, correct? In which case we can just treat him like Landry and not having to pre-emptively overpay.

It's really quite amazing how much depth we have. I remember back in the days when T-Mac was out, the Rockets would just literally always lose because no one could score besides Yao. So nice that those days are gone.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He's an unrestricted free agent end of the season. His contract sucks because he had no leverage but if he keeps playing like this plenty of teams will want him. I think Morey needs to lock up the kid before the season ends.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think he can, I think we have to go to the offseason...and compete for his services like the other 29 teams.

DD

12. jsmee2000

Well at least he likes Houston and might feel indebted to Houston because they are the ones that gave him a chance. That ought to be worth something. Don't you think?

13. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

yah, i definitely think we have the upperhand in signing him. who knows, if he keeps progressing, maybe this kid is the longtime 2 guard of the rockets. come 2010 we can focus on trying to scoop up bosh...

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Anyone know who his agent is? As long as it's not Buddy Baker I am feeling pretty good about the relationship. ;)

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

its probably is worth nothing unless houston's offer is just as much as other teams. i think a lot will fall upon his role once ron and mcgrady comes back. if he minutes are reduced significantly he may walk in the off seasons especially if another team is giving him a good multi-year contract and playing time. plus if the rockets want to re-sign ron in the off season that will become their first priority over von.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wafer kind reminds of Mario Elie, not in his game play,
    but how he came up in the league, working hard, playing for a bunch of teams in the D-league.

Nobody anointed him anything, all this is based off hard work.

17. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

I really hope we can resign him and Artest.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

either way, i respect the guy for even saying that. he genuinely means it and appreciates the rockets for being the ones to give him the chance. if another team kills our offer, i don't really blame him for taking it.

19. kalmanfilter

kalmanfilter Rookie

Wafer should consider Rockets' offer even if it will be slightly lower than those from other teams. If I were him I would be reluctant to take any risk to start a new life in another team.

And hopefully he will get a 7-digit shoe contract soon, which is another incentive for him to stay in Houston. I will be surprised if Chinese shoe manufacturers wouldn't chase him. We love this humble and hard-working kid.

20. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

please DM trade or waive Luther and give Wafer his contract.