1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Denver Post] Nuggets trade Carmelo Anthony? It's possible

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Merla08, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Looks like the Nuggets are willing to trade Carmelo rather than lose him for nothing if he decides not to resign with them. He's a free agent next year. Morey better be at Melo's door step tonight!!! Forget Bosh, Joe Johnson, this is the guy I'd rather have next to Yao! What do you guys think?

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15405631?source=rssfeeddigest

The Nuggets are pressing Carmelo Anthony for a long-term commitment, because if he declines a three-year, $65 million contract extension now on the table, the team must consider trading its leading scorer.

Trade Melo? Would the Nuggets really part ways with a 26-year-old forward in the prime of his NBA career? Denver might not have any choice.

With an eye on how megastars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have held the league's competitive balance in their fickle hands and turned this summer's free-agency period into a three-ring circus, the Nuggets seem determined not to let Anthony do the same in Denver.

While their offer of a hefty contract extension proves the Nuggets hope Anthony will remain the face of the franchise for years to come, the team is prepared to trade Melo rather than let him walk as a free agent next summer, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

At a salary of $17 million, Anthony is committed to play for Denver during the upcoming season. But here's the rub. Anthony can opt out of his contract next summer, and free agency might appear all the more tempting after seeing the league-wide groveling James has instigated.

As a proactive move, the Nuggets have quietly tried to secure the services of Anthony through 2015 before losers in the pursuit of this talent-laden class of free agents can begin dreaming of Melo.

While a city of Broncomaniacs has obsessed with the contract status of football stars Elvis Dumervil and Champ Bailey, the negotiations between the Nuggets and Anthony might have already reached a more critical stage, because management of the local NBA franchise has shown it is unafraid to make trades involving a marquee player.

At a time when pro basketball superstars have never wielded more power in how league rosters are built, it seems to me Anthony must apply whatever leverage he can to determine to what extent the Nuggets are willing to improve his supporting cast.

Often treated as a bigger star on the road than at home, Melo could find riches and live like a king in almost any NBA city from New York to Los Angeles. He genuinely likes Denver, but at this point in his career, what should motivate Anthony is finding the situation that gives him the best chance to win a ring. I have advocated he not sign any deal with the Nuggets unless the team can give assurances help is on the way.

Why? These negotiations are not really about money so much as the talks force both Anthony and the Nuggets to examine if they can live happily ever after.

You can bet on this: Although Stan Kroenke craves a championship, the Nuggets owner is a tough negotiator who isn't going to play a game of my wallet is bigger against Mark Cuban in Dallas or Mikhail Prokhorov in New Jersey.

It's hard to envision any business run by Kroenke allowing an asset as valuable as Anthony to walk away for nothing. Either the I's will be dotted and the T's will be crossed on a new deal with the Nuggets long before the trade deadline next winter or you can color Melo gone from Denver.

Unwilling to use coach George Karl's battle with cancer as an excuse, Nuggets management saw the team's first-round flameout in the playoffs as proof the current roster is unlikely to win a championship.

With guard Chauncey Billups approaching his 34th birthday, forward Kenyon Martin facing recovery from yet another knee surgery and the

Share Your Analysis

Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla fields your feedback. Look for it in Kickin' It With Kiz on Sundays.
    distinct possibility of labor strife interrupting the 2011-12 season, it's not too early for everybody to begin long-term planning and ask a tough question:

Does Denver have a future as a serious NBA contender with a nucleus of Anthony, promising guard Ty Lawson and frustrating center Nene?

Without a solid commitment from Anthony, the Nuggets might feel as if they have no choice except to blow up the roster and start over.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

My thoughts are there is already another thread on this, which was poorly titled and that's why you didnt see it!

3. Merla08

Merla08 Member

lol well good thing I started this one, cause I didnt see it and im sure others didn't either

4. HPD

HPD Member

i say yea, be a 1 yr rental like the RANDY JOHNSON thingy

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

IF he is truly available then you throw everything including the kitchen sink at the Nuggets and acquire this guy...

6. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I read the article. Its just the writer's thoughts. Nothing more.

7. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

[​IMG]

Hey i was 25 and was one of the leagues best players who got traded in a contract year.

Melo > Ariza or anyone else we could get at the 3 besides lebron

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Since Anthony isn't a free agent we can't talk to him. The only way the Rockets could talk to Anthony is if Denver gave them permission, which isn't likely.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

i would love to have carmelo, he can guard 2s and 3s and is one of the most efficient scores in the league. Whether we have a chance at him, I dont know. I remember a few years ago there were talks of McGrady for Melo, maybe he would be interested in coming to a team that he knows has coveted him for a while.

Being that Carmelo is such a good scorer and can score from anywhere I think he would fit next to Trevor and you could play them both in the starting lineup, imagine the length of those two harassing opposing teams. I say this assuming we would have to include Kevin. If not, damn we would have the highest scoring team in the league if we threw out Kev, Melo, and AB. ahhhh I can only dream.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yea that was me, don't know why I didn't think to include his name in the title...

anyway I would much rather go after melo ...but we will see how things shake out soon enough

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea I like Carmelo also, I think he has gotten a bad rap throughout his career and I do expect him to win somewhere someday.

12. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I thought he signed an extension. :confused:

13. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

The Nuggets are pressing Carmelo Anthony for a long-term commitment, because if he declines a three-year, $65 million contract extension now on the table, the team must consider trading its leading scorer.

doesn't hurt to read sometimes

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We don't need a lame-ass sucker puncher on our team. I'd just as soon let him play some where else. People who take cheap shots like he does, don't belong in a Rocket uniform.

15. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

16. MONON

MONON Member

I'd like to hear Nuggets4's take on this situation.

17. LeoUnot

LeoUnot Member

I don't know, ronron turned out pretty good.

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

True....True...

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What do the Nuggets want in return?

A small forward to replace Melo? Bye bye, Trevor.
    A player to replace Melo's scoring? Goodbye, Kevin.
    A sweetener to get the ball rolling? 2011 NY pick or 2012 NY pick, take one.

20. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

I think you hurt Trevor's feelings