1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver - Indiana Trade Rumor

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Fox Sports is reporting that the Nuggets and Pacers are close to finalizing a deal that will send Nick Van Exel to Indiana in exchange for Jalen Rose and cap filler.

Nugs fan's thoughts: GREAT! I love Nick, but he's been b****ing up a storm recently and it's REALLY getting tiring. Some say the offense works better with Avery Johnson running the team, and I can see that a little. The Nugs have an altitude advantage and they should be running more than any other team. Nick's more of an Eastern Conference walk it up the court PG. Nick is clutch, but he wants out and this is by far the best rumored deal I've seen so far. The Nugs NEVER should have traded Jalen in the first place (thank you Bernie Bickerstaff), and would give them a legitimate scorer. In a dream world, they woudl work something out where the Nugs would send McCloud and Van Exel (throw in Milwaukee's pick?) to Indiana for Jalen and Travis Best. Possible Nugs lineup:

PG - Best, Johnson, Satterfield
    SG - Abdul-Wahad, Posey, Lenard
    SF - Rose, Bowen, Cheaney
    PF - McDyess, Williams, Hamilton
    C - The Stiff (LaFrentz), Andersen

Still not to the great level, but some building blocks are in place.

2. Nuggets4

Unfortunately, the worst writer in the world (hint: based out of NY) is also reporting this deal's on the table. Must mean it's false.

3. Timing

Timing Member

I guess community activist, team leader, and all around great guy Nicky VE will just have to win his MVP award with the Pacers this year. :p

4. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I don't get this deal.

Where is Nick playing---SG? Miller moves to SF?

Or is he replacing Tinsley? There must be something more involved.

Linkage please.

5. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Is that you, Doug Moe? Would you bring back the old Astros-like uniforms?

'The Stiff,' huh? I wish you Nuggets supporters would make up your mind. Everytime we see a proposed trade you guys say how great the guy is...

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This seems to be a great deal from Denver's viewpoint. I can even understand why Indiana wants to move Rose, but why would they want Van Exel? Nick is a great player, but his hot and cold shooting spurts are enigmatic. I guess I would put my stamp of approval on this deal.

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

what happens to tinsley if this is true? tinsley getting reduced minutes is a bit strange...

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

agree, why would the Pacers want another PG, reducing Tinsley to a bench player would destroy his confidence. All the Pacers really need is a centre, and i can certainly see them trading doghouse Rose for a quality centre at some stage.

How does Marc Jackson match up salary wise????

9. Nuggets4

Doug Moe rules. Seriously though, we have the advantage, we're used to it. Olympians train at higher altitude for endurance. It's a natural factor, we should use it.

The rainbow uni's ruled. :D

No, we say that the players you're offering are stiffs. Cato? Norris? Nah. I'm sick of him, but we could get a first round pick or a quality player at the least for him.

Unfortunately, the only "linkage" I have is Vescey. However, I have heard this from a few people. Does this mean it will go through? No, but the teams are seriously discussing it.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Tinsley is an overrated PG. He has destroyed Rose's confidence and hurt the much improved (otherwise) Pacers, who are middling just above what they did last year. While they do need a big man to help Jermaine O'Neal, a PG like Nick Van Exel would be perfect for that team to lead them to reach their full potential.

Tinsley isn't a god, no matter what his assist numbers preach. Van Exel would be a VAST upgrade at PG for that team.

11. Live

Live Member

Please find more info.

I would like to respond and brainstorm, but I just don't feel like expending energy on a Vescey "story".

Sounds interesting if true, though.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This trade makes absolutely no sense for Pacers. If they want a pg and center lets give them Cato and Moochie for free. Shoot they dont even have to give us Jalen! :cool:

Also what has happened to Jalen this year. He had a pretty good year last season.

13. Nuggets4

Just got word that Indiana isn't doing the deal. Not surprisingly, they're not interested in a PG (which is why I was shocked to hear the rumor in the first place).

The deal was being discussed though, just fell through. Que cera cera.

14. Nuggets4

Sometimes I think the people I talk to like to mess with my mind.

Mike Monroe was just on Fox Sports saying he'd be stunned if the Van Exel - Rose deal DOESN'T go down. Combine that with the fact that Nick sat tonight's game out with a "hurt jaw" and wasn't on the bench.

Food for thought.

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

Jalen had the ball taken out of his hands in favor of a rookie PG who is turnover prone and shoots worse than Jason Kidd. It's no coincidence that a 41-41 Pacers team last year with a young, improved core returns as only 1 game over .500 a year later.

Tinsley may have good assist numbers, but he's an overrated floor leader. Jason Kidd without the leadership and jumper. Put the ball in Jalen Rose or even Travis Best's hands and that team is at least 5 games better.

It's all horrible, horrible coaching by Isiah Thomas. For their sake, I hope they ditch him and make the roster changes like they should. Bringing in Van Exel allows them to dangle the overrated Tinsley for that big man and makes the team all the much better for it.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

By the way, when is the NBA trading deadline?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with your whole point, but Jason Kidd doesnt have a jumper. In fact, Tinsley and Kidd have pretty much the exact same FG% right now (although Kidd's 3pt % is much higher)