1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver Announcer Rips Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Mar 19, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A new owner of the radio station was trimming payroll. This thread is making us sound more homerish than Hastings.

"No doubt the new owners of the fan will do what they think they need to do to make the station profitable – even if it means bidding farewell to talent Denverites love to listen to. Hastings has been great at the Fan for many years."

2. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Acutally, if you really want to look deep into it, the average person wants to be like Mike, right? We of the physically challenged, we want to watch high fliers and massive dunks. Harden is an incredibly skilled player, but 90% of his game I can accomplish. Obviously, on top of being physically challenged, I also was as short as mugsy bogues.

I can appreciate Harden more than other players, because he's a better basketball player, but the average guy would rather see Westbrook types.

3. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

So your point is... the radio station has a PR guy? Dude is a big dumb idiot for saying Harden has a 0% chance. It's not like he got into the NBA with a mensa-level knowledge of basketball. He's 6'10". And statements like that would've gotten him laughed out of any nationally-televised discussion on the topic. It's just absurd.

4. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

Hastings has been a Harden hater for a long time. He always talks down on Harden for drawing so many fouls & says Rockets games are unwatchable because of how many FTs Harden shoots. He is a giant d-bag...always crying about officiating whenever a call goes against the Nuggets. He is even worse on the radio than on the Nugs broadcasts...just a natural born hater.

kennysmith likes this.
  5. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

His basketball legacy is holding the NBA record for most games in a row without a steal at 65 straight games. Lmao

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I feel a lot of sensitivity in this thread. Also, a little bit of over exaggerating as well. We, as Rockets fans, need to realize we're not better-than or more objective than other teams. Every fan is flawed. Some more than others. Shout out to HP for finding the video clips of the actual exchange.

Threads like these are bad. It makes us all look bad as a fan base. We sound whiney, and now we look like liars. I saw on twitter a screenshot of OP's post being retweeted around online. That's just an extremely bad look. Why would someone share hearsay instead of actually looking for evidence of Hastings saying that stuff?

This whole thread is incredibly irritating. Not defending Hastings for his despicable comments if it is true about him saying that Harden flopped on the nasty fall, but I'd rather see the proof of him saying he's a worse player than Isaiah Thomas and that he personally felt Harden had 0 chance of being the MVP. You find proof of someone who is paid by another team or a media company and then post it. Because at the moment I still don't know whether he thinks Thomas is better than Harden or not. and frankly I don't believe he said that.

It's not just OP either, but the 25+ people who liked the OP. It reminds me of Donald Trump and his followers who believe anything that he says.

I take pride in being a Rockets fan, but stuff like this just flat out sucks and embarrasses me. That being said I hope we wreck the Nuggets tomorrow and ruin their playoff chances. Harden is the MVP.

durvasa likes this.
  7. heypartner

He didn't say that. Go back to previous page and watch the videos I provided.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Offended Westbrook or Lebron James? Some haters don't understand what better team mean. Gets pretty infuriating hearing those type of homers defending without actual data. Thunders and Cavs are behind the Rockets in the standing.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. heypartner

You honestly got infuriated by that comment. You're the homer, not those comments.

as @oogie boogie says, so much sensitivity in this thread. The OP is exaggerated and misquotes. This thread makes us sound like homers compared to the comments actually made during the broadcast.

10. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Thread should be locked after this.

OldYelllowDog and Houstunna like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Im a homer tru, but what i meant to say is it's the people who defend other players without listening to logic and reason putting down Harden. Pisses me off.

Idk who is who, but the guy supporting Westbrook I have no words. I posted this video up a 2-3 days ago.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He says Kawhi, not Westbrook

@3:10

Guy uses "surprising" as a reason to discredit Harden, then says Westbrook's tri-dubs are "shocking".

NewsFlash - tri-dubs are Russell's main argument.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hastings has been unlistenable going back to the TMac Yao days. I'm sure I could necrobump posts of my own from 2007-2010 bashing the Denver commentators.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

My thoughts exactly.

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Its sad because he has one of the votes for MVP, he'd probably wouldn't have Harden on his ballot.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Razorbacks are just like this. They can't help being obnoxious. That being said, one of my favorite presidents was an Arkansas basketball fan. Also, he was a Piston so he probably thought he was hard because he was a member of the Bad Boys. He contributed 0.4 ppg and 0.0 rpg during the 1990 Championship run. You don't want to mess with this guy, he's been riding jock straps for a long time and he knows he's got one of the best jobs in the world (if you like to run your mouth while no one argues with you).

This guy means business:
    [​IMG]
    It's like his face doesn't even beg you to punch it.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Harden is so smooth. I think Harden's efficiency and effectiveness is overlooked.

Westbrook plays 34.8 minutes per game and averages 24.2 shots during his time on the court.
    Harden plays 36.5 minutes per game and averages 18.7 shots during his time on the court.

Westbrook is averaging 31.7 ppg, but what would Harden average if he took 5.5 more shots per game? Westbrook has a 42% FG percentage and a 46.8% effective rate. Harden is at 44.6% and effectively shooting 53.1%. Westbrook is a really talented player, but he's a bit of a chucker. He plays his butt off, but he's not all that smart of a player. Harden's mind makes him more efficient and a winner. I think that's why you reward Harden, because he's doing more than chasing stats... he's chased down the defending champs, he's beat every contender out there, and his team has the 3rd best record in the league. It's better than Isaiah's Boston record, better than LeBron. Much better than Westbrook's squad. And all of this is coming off an offseason with predictions that we'd struggle to make the playoffs. Harden has risen above expectations. He's doing everything you could possibly ask a player to do within reason. He's playing defense this year. It's not impressive, but the effort is there (probably a little lost within his blinding lack of quickness). He's carried his team up a big hill, he's doing more than you ask, but if you stop and really examine what Westbrook is doing, you might ask for him to do a little less and be a team player so you can win more.

Harden has it by a landslide this year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17873365/nba-power-rankings-preseason-edition

That's right... ESPN had us finishing 9th in the NBA this year and 14th overall. Suck it, we're third in wins. ESPN hates being wrong just like anyone else, but to be this wrong is shocking. They said OKC would win 55 games? Yeah, no. They could win 53 if they won out. They won't. They said we'd be a .500 ballclub... we're rocking 69%. Harden is carrying a team, Westbrook is carrying a dangerous weapon... and he's firing it all over the place and mostly hitting bricks all over the building.

#97 don grahamleone, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    verse, Richie_Rich, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If the Rockets end up facing the Thunder in the first round, in a way the MVP race between them matters little. The real prize would be eliminating the other team. Winning an MVP and getting bounced in round 1 makes the award meaningless.

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

After HP's videos, it really feels like this thread should be closed or re-titled.

OldYelllowDog likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Definitely not as harsh as OP made it, but imo the tone says it all. Overly dismissive, and not in an "I just prefer Westbrook" kind of way, it was more like "many people more deserving than HARDEN" tone. At this point in Harden's season, saying he's All NBA is almost a diss!!

Anyways, don't care all that much. I was more irritated by his overall performance than just this one comment. I wonder if he is as whiny about calls in every game.