1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Demarr Vs. Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jun 18, 2000.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd much prefer Cuttino off the bench, and Shandon starting at 2. It'd make Dermarr's time easier: Guarding the SF, and can play SG on offense because Shandon's game is a little closer to that of a SF.

DaDakota-Francis is much closer to the exception than the rule. Before the season, everyone was arguing who was better, Baron or Francis. Francis was NBA ready. I don't think Dermarr is at this point.

If I was Rudy, I'd also take my chances with Francis over Bryce Drew.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

2. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

i don't think it's wise having such a small starting backcourt(6'4 and 6'3) especially when we're playing against teams like LA(6'7 and 6'6) and Phoenix(6'7 and 6'4).

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

The Rockets have a great backcourt. Even if they are smaller then the some they are better than most. Plus you can't forget Shan is 6'6''.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DICE !!

Precisely my point. Although we do have SA at 6'6" starting at the 2.

Personally, I think SF and SG are pretty much interchangable skills wise.

I would take Demarr, simply because I think he has a massive upside.

DaDakota

"Draft for talent, not for need"

------------------

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Not just you, but several others continue to refer to Walt's 15-18 game spurt "doing his job" like he was playing his butt off the other 65 games.

1. He was not doing his job last year. He played "well" in 15 or so late season games, and played "above average" in maybe 5 of those games. The other 60 games he hurt us . And, badly. Poor defense: reaching in, slapping, out of position, leaving his man early, getting to the switch off late (everyone else at least tried), illegal defenses. Poor Offense: Inconsistent shooting, poor clutch scorer, poor shot selections.

2. Leadership: When? How? Where? He offered excuse after excuse all season long. When talk of replacing him comes up he starts playing with some focus in a last ditch effort, and actually pulls the wool over a lot of people's eyes. In late season interviews, he started talking about how he and Francis and Mobes were the core of the team with twenty games left. Core? He spent most of the season on the bench because of poor defensive skills(making him foul prone), and shooting a lights out 23% from the arc and a scoring around 29%. I saw three games in a row where he lost two or three unchallenged dunks. His Leadership? Uh, No. I don't think so. Self Promoting Underacheiver. Yep! He shouldn't even be starting on the same team as Stevie, Shandon and Cat ... that alone comparing himself to them.

3. We paid this sorry mother $4(plus) Million last year. Anyone want to look around the league and see what calibre of player was being paid $4.Million last year?

Sorry. Walt would be shuttled off to any team willing to give me a second rounder 0or a case of jockstraps. Unless of course they read all the spin he puts on himself, then I would trade him along with all Arizona oceanfront property they want.

------------------

6. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

The fact is, no one can say for sure how Walt will play next year. Sometimes, it takes some people longer to adjust to new situations. Walt started off very badly. I was disgusted with his numbers most of the season. Confidence is everything in sports. Its what makes average players good and good players great. If Walt now feels comfortable and confident in his role with the Rockets, he may continue to play the way he did in the last part of the season. 20 games can be a good indicator. That is almost an entire college season. It would make it hard for me to throw away on a 2nd round choice.

------------------

7. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Moe

I was being sarcastic. [​IMG] No I would not sell him off for a second rounder, if for no other reason than he has better trade value than that.

As far not knowing what he will do next season, that goes without saying for each and every player in sports. No one knows what someone will be doing.

But the reasonable expectation is usually based on the previous season. The history. The examp[les.

He sucked for 80% of the season when he was needed. He seemingly gets a jolt when talk is circulated that he is on the trade block. He has a good 15-20 games when winning does not really help our cause.

I can also reasonably assume that I would be 80% correct and maybe 20% wrong that he will be a offensive force this year. Or the same percentages that he will be defensive genius"stopper" next season.

It's just that given those odds I would take a chance and be happy with a new draftee , who maybe hasn't learned to be unexcusably lazy yet.

[​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited June 21, 2000).]

8. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken Walt had his biggest games when he was matched up against the other teams PF at the end of the season. MAybe it just took awhile for Rudy to discover the benfits of this small lineup. Walt can be a very good player. I would hate to see him traded unless we were able to replace him with a Demarr or Glenn Robinson. I will bet that if he reamains with the Rockets next year then he will have a good year(start to finish).

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

9. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I think that Rudy T. himself was dissapointed w/Walt's showing last yr. specially since Walt was a player that he wanted to get quite a few seasons ago but the thing about Rudy T. is that he knows and understands that all players go through periods where they go into a "funk" ... he was patient w/Walt and eventually he had no other choice but to make Walt ride the pine because he was just hurting us more by being out there then helping . Little by little he wk'd his way out of it and was able to get into the rotation and actually produced.. I just wish he would have done it much earlier , we actually could have made the playoffs...

Walt actually is an important part of Rudy's offense , it makes other teams pay for doubling our guards and it just open up things for everyone else , when he shot good for the most part we would win that game and our offense just seemed to flow so much better ! when he strugled our offense would take a little wile to pick up steam , if it wasn't for Francis who knows what kind of record we would have had this yr.

------------------
    "Why can't we just get along"...quote from a scientist in Half-life 2nd edition.

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

oeilfather,

I knew you were being sarcastic about the jock straps, but I wasn't sure about the 2nd rnd. pick. I don't think your 80%, 20% odds are accurate. I think Walt's season next year will be way more consistent, either good or bad. There is no way I can back it up, but I feel there's about a 50/50 chance either way.

P.S. Yippee! I should have had a clue on your post about "Draft of Fours". I thought it was a very interesting post. No replies. Kind of confirms my suspicion that new people are basically ignored for awhile unless they *iss somebody off. Cool, cool, cool.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moe (edited June 21, 2000).]

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Moe

I know I get really down on him, and it is in fact a personal thing ... so I do not expect me to put a lot of faith in him this coming season. Frankly, I just don't trust his focus or his effort.

That 80%-20% probably reflects my frustration more than anything else.

Here's my true take on this SOB.

1. He is worth more to me as a trade than a roster player. That's how I feel. RT of course will give him twenty games on the roster this coming season, unless some deal needs him in it to make it work. My feeling is, that it would not have to be a blockbuster deal either. But definitely one that would get us a starter or a "threatening to replace a starter" type of player.

2. With the acquisition of DerMarr, that would either worry Walt into putting on a clinic for a good portion of the season, or ( my personal guess) make him clam up like a clown at a funeral, and throw enough bricks to build a new arena. Irregardless, DerMarr will cut Walt's PT drastically.

3. If we end up with Moiso, which is the PF most likely to end up in a Rox Uni, watch for RT to go after a FA to "backup" the Wizbang bust.(Croshere?????? I really can't see Austin backing up Walt can you? Bo? Man that would be a good tandem to platoon.)

[​IMG]

------------------

12. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

OP,
    No, I can't see Croshere backing up Walt. Walt very well could be most valuable to us in a trade. I personally would like to see the Rockets pick up a higher first round pick (keep # 9) and get someone like Harvey, Thomas or Olumide. From all the mock drafts, I have no idea where those three will go, other than I think they will go in the 1st. I would be happy with Miller, Johnson or Moiso at 9. Like you say, if we get Miller or Johnson, I don't think Walt stays.

------------------