1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 19, 2017.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

many analyst hold gordon and anderson being on rockets team a case against harden as MVP and anthony davis did zilch with them

HoustonTexas and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  2. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Davis didn't have Gordon and Anderson, Davis had Boredom and Injuredsome. That's like saying Harden is **** like he was **** first 2 months of last season and this season he's MVP only thanks to Gordon and Anderson. Lol

hakeem94, Yung-T and heypartner like this.
  3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Gordon was often injured, and Anderson came off the bench b/c he played the same position as Davis. What could you reasonably expect Davis to do with them?

Yung-T likes this.
  4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

make them better players around him...

5. hakeemthagreat

Chris paul would be nice on that team

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They really just need more three and D guys out there.

A guy like George Hill would make them super tough.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

they need actual wings that can play not just 3 and D. that's not nearly enough. they need at least one wing that's close to all star caliber if not one.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We will smash these hamburgers tommorow

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Meh. Spurs did it with an inexperienced Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen and Stephen Jackson as their main guns. Ginobili wasn't great at that point either. 9 points a game in the playoffs. And I daresay Cousins can be better than a 37 year old David Robinson.

They need to find some solid players to be sure, but more importantly they need to figure out their chemistry and their defense.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

cousins is no where near being in the conversation as a great player like David Robinson. You need wings to win in today's nba period and just 3 and D ones aren't going to cut it.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So Buddy Hield is now shooting 49% from the field, and 44% from 3 with Sacramento (19.2 per 36). He's certainly looking like the gunner that he was expected to be.

The Kings have the feel of a franchise that is gonna suck no matter what, but this supposed pupu platter they got back isn't looking all that bad.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how much injuries rockets suffered in 2014-15? Harden still got em to 2nd seed... And i dont reasonably expect for davis to do anything with them cause hes nowhere near harden

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Harden was great all season long, but when Dwight got hurt, it was DMo who stepped up more than anyone else. In any case, it's stupid to expect Anthony Davis to have success with Gordon/Anderson when they're not on the court at the same time.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

2nd seed in that which was probably the best West in the last 10 years...playing 30 games with Dorsey, Terry, Canaan starting...i agree, Davis is a top talent but he's still far away from being a leader, also he doesn't want to play center, and he could've done this to play WITH Anderson so yeah...

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Pelicans are 69 games under .500% since Davis has been there.

He has had one winning season and has never won a playoff game.

He hasn't had the type of talent to win 55 games, but he has had enough talent to compete.

Also Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon were not injured the entire time they were with Davis.

Five years is a long time, at some point SOME of the blame needs to be placed on Davis.

I have seen absolutely nothing that leads me to believe that he makes the players around him better.

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Is that what I said? Cousins is significantly better than 37 year old David Robinson.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

being better than a 37 yr old doesn't really concern me. even then i still wouldn't want cousins anywhere near my team that wants to win. still doesn't disprove what I said about You need wings to win in today's nba period and just 3 and D ones aren't going to cut it.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

First of all, you're setting the bar pretty high for Anthony Davis. He was 22 years old last year. Secondly, the Pelicans have had significantly more injuries than you think:

2013 (Davis' rookie season): Eric Gordon missed 40 games.
    2014: Ryan Anderson missed 60 games with a neck injury. Jrue Holiday missed 48 games with a stress fracture in his leg.
    2015: Holiday missed 42 games. Eric Gordon missed 21 games. Ryan Anderson missed 21 games.
    2016: Tyreke Evans missed 57 games. Eric Gordon missed 37 games.

I only included key players who missed 20+ games so it doesn't include players who came close (i.e. Anderson missing 16 games and Holiday missing 17 games last year).

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Nothing truly disproves that, unless the Pelicans win a title. So your claim is very "holic-esque".

Thing's change. Today's NBA is constantly changing, and all it takes is special players to change how everyone views the game. I sure would like to see Cousins and Davis with some truly elite shooters/defenders, and a decent PG and more importantly a better system. I think that could be enough to contend, and YOU have done nothing to refute my point. (See what I did there?)

Give Davis, Cousins and a few decent role players to Popovich for a couple years and I bet they get pretty damn good.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

no it's not holic-esque. that makes no sense. winning a title is not the only way you disprove that. you look at any of the elite teams that are winning or have a winning culture. all contain some type of star caliber wing play. Now you look at teams when guys like cousins, love, davis on teams by themselves. Constantly losing. That alone refutes your point. Easily actually. Oh now you need to add in hypothetical wishes like popovich. :rolleyes:

#600 YOLO, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017