1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defense - what’s the problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Feb 9, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

All we needed was some semi ok defense in the third.

So what is the problem. How do we fix it? This has been happening way too often. Careless and bad shots on one end and porous on the other. Some needs to own this shiat.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

1. Gotta get our rim protector back.
    2. Gotta get smarter play from our players... Green, Faried and sometimes Harden just do stupid stuff.
    3. Team rebounding as a collective... guys gotta buy in.
    4. Dantoni he just gotta figure out something better than just switching all game long.

3. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

The problem is the lack of smart defensive-minded players outside of our main players. I almost threw my chair when I saw Gerald Green foul Paul George on that three point attempt.

BasketMAD and bj3175 like this.
  4. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Problem is we get relaxed on defense and have a coach who doesn't call timeouts early when it's noticeable.

Problem is we have a player (Chris Paul) who's biggest asset is his competitive spirit and leadership ability. Who is known for not being ok with his teammates being lazy on defense.. who has suddenly abandoned that philosophy, decided to be complacent and completely ok not telling anyone to step up the effort. That leadership asset was worth about 25 million of his 40 million dollar contract. Suddenly we have a 15 million dollar player on a 40 million dollar deal.

IvanLCPM, BasketMAD, gotsis and 7 others like this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Capela wasn’t going to stop Shrouder in the third. It’s the priemeter defense. I can’t remember we let that shiat happen last year even once. This has been an ongoing thing now.

BasketMAD, saleem and bj3175 like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we're old and undersized. even when we force misses we can't get a rebound. hard to be great defensively when you're giving up inches at every position AND less quick/athletic

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

One loss is okay. The concern is okc occupy the 3 seed.
    Westbrook plays kings, harden plays GSW.

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This pretty much sums up the Rox difficulties.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's okay we'll just stay in the 4th/5th spot this way tilman doesn't have to pay capela $1M more

BasketMAD and chadyang like this.
  11. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

We should have traded shumpert for mirotic

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Need to add one more first round pick.

chadyang likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's always something between Rox coaches and Clutchfans.

Milkhair: Doesn't call plays! Just tells guys to play harder!

MDA: Doesn't call timeouts! His limited rotations play guys into the ground!

Pops as theoretical Rockets coach: Gives too many nights off to his stars! His politics suck!

beard4life and bj3175 like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Seeing as how the trade deadline has passed, what's your suggestion to add another 1st-round pick?

15. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

We’ve been giving up way too many points all season long (and even going back to previous seasons when Ariza was here). Some say the game has changed but I say that defense still wins championships. Not sure if this is a coaching issue, a personnel matter, or something else altogether, but I do know that for the Rockets to truly contend, their defense has to step things up, big time.

bj3175 likes this.
  16. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

I still think Ariza was the defensive coordinator last year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

the thunder are a really good team....too good to get down 26. everything balanced out and it was a close game as it should have been, they executed slightly better at the end of the game and got the win. obviously we need capela to really play with the big dogs.

HP3 and rockets94-95 like this.
  18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

There are certainly some habits that have to change

19. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Unfortunately this is true.

We are slow and small. Usually the smaller team has the speed/quickness advantage. The only position we have that is at C with Faried but he is still too small against a true 7 footer who isnt a stiff.

Sucks.

I actually have a bigger problem with the lack of timeouts. One thing I like about coach Pop is be isnt afraid to teach/coach during games. He calls timeouts to correct his players when they are executing the gameplay wrong; and it sticks.

The whole team needs to gang rebound ON EVERY SHOT ATTEMPT. That means put your ass on somebody or go after the ball. We don’t have the securing blanket of CC right now. This is so correctable. It drives me crazy. We gave up so many second chance points.

saleem and pippendagimp like this.
  20. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Agreed, but we still have room for improvement on defense.

saleem likes this.