1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defending freedom of speech is important, but you should know what happened then give a speech.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Emanon, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Emanon

Emanon Member

Everyone is arguing how important freedom of speech is. But no one care what happened in HK at all.
    From my point of view, Chinese people is not mad at Morey's freedom of speech, but his support to the so-called-protest.
    Ppl always support it when it is not happen in their neighborhood. Anyone remember Occupy Wall Street? How the police treat ppl there?
    Look at this video. Personally, I don't think it should be a debate about freedom of speech. It should be a debate about protest and riots. That is the origin of all.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Everyone's posting on stuff they don't know about. It's the internet.
    We all just wanna act like we're the best.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Exactly

Whatever is actually happening is irrelevant. If someone is wrong about something, so what? How insecure does someone have to be to ban an entire sporting league being televised in their country on the basis of a statement? Especially immature if (apparently) that statement is wrong!

For those who are slow, the answer is 'extremely immature'.
    How is there a possible defence for banning the telecast and getting knickers in a knot over a (deleted) tweet?!?!?

People tweet stupid things all the time. Isn't that why twitter exists??

crose, fryjol7, clutchdabear and 10 others like this.
  4. elrond

elrond Member

Everything has shades of gray. The HK government has pretty much handled the whole thing incompetently, whether through their own fault or through having their hands tied by the Chinese government. The protests started out peaceful, but things started escalating as the government continued to ignore the protests, and taking a 'i am your mother, you should listen to me' attitude.

Although I support the protests, I'm not a big fan of the violence, but I can also understand where they are coming from. On one hand, things have definitely gotten out of hand, and it's easy to consider the police reaction to be overboard. On the other hand, I can believe there would have already been many more casualties if this level of rioting happened in the US. I think we all know that US police are not shy about shooting random civilians in the name of self defense. No one is making the right moves to de-escalate the situation, and it's instead become a tit-for-tat scenario with no end in sight. To be honest, it's really hard to see a good solution based on how things currently stand. At this point all sides pretty much have their hands dirty which just makes it easier for everyone to selective pick the facts that reinforce their original beliefs, without trying to see the whole picture.

Lawlruschang, Yung-T, Bshaud and 4 others like this.
  5. right1

right1 Member

DM's stand with Hong Kong tweet seems rather benign compared to those of the U.S. Secretary of State.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-u...ur-muslims-during-vatican-visit-idUKKBN1WH18J

Pompeo reserved his toughest criticism for China in a keynote speech at a Vatican conference on religious freedom. The others were Cuba, Iran, Pakistan and Myanmar.

“When the state rules absolutely, it demands its citizens worship government, not God. That’s why China has put more than one million Uighur Muslims ... in internment camps and is why it throws Christian pastors in jail,” he said.

“When the state rules absolutely, God becomes an absolute threat to authority,” he said.

dachuda86 likes this.
  6. Rochut

Rochut Member

Great post. If one tweet from an individual causes this overreaction, that is total insecurity. Twitter is banned in China so it’s amusing on that level.

7. Emanon

Emanon Member

I don't like Rivers, but he said right "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences. You can have freedom of speech, but there may be consequences". Morey himself worked with China over 10 years. He should know China's baseline, he is smart and he never across it for the past decade. What made him do that. Still confused about it.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You don’t get to decide why HK is protesting, HK does, they’ve made it loud and clear that they are fighting for free speech and human rights.

In the US, we typically require at least 2 news stories by different outlets, even when our children are writing school reports. If you don’t have at least 2 sources from different parties, then you are considered a liar.

cbass and malakas like this.
  9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It’s the human rights violations being committed by China in HK. That was the purpose of the tweet.

Can I clear anything else up for you?

10. Emanon

Emanon Member

Even there is no Morey's twitter, something will still happen. Considering the trade war between US and China, considering the elections, the Trump Impeachment. Those politician will use whatever they found to incite ppl, to create opposition. So truth never matters, they benefits, ppl lost.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I have no idea what you are talking about and how it relates to what I posted?

You're agreeing the Chinese govt is insecure and ridiculously out of line, right?

noppeper likes this.
  12. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

There are many spys police pretended to be protesters to make the damage in order to have excuse to catch the protesters. Now those police mainly targets at the youngsters and girls. There are some people suspected suicides cases in the sea and fall from high buildings. Once the police catch the youngsters, they will use the rod to hit their head to make it bleeding. It also has some cases that police put the violated weapons in the arrested people bag in order to charge him. Those government supporters hit the protesters using knives, rod even using the car crashed into the people and make the girl legs frastructe, the police said it is because the protesters make that supporter cannot control the car, all of those are unfair enforcement by police. There are many unfair cases such as unfair voting to eliminate the seats for those people who dont follow the government. Those supporters are faked and all are coming from China. It makes a lot of people feel angry for those notorious bill.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Easter Egg Hunter - Tell me why? نحن عائلة
    Supporting Member

Morey was pro freedom but he didn’t say he was pro violence to achieve it either, so I rather believe he meant well.

Believe whatever you want.

Yung-T, Bshaud, PDJACK7 and 3 others like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If the Chinese government had not reacted so aggressivly, the Rockets could have fired Morey for damaging the brand and it would have been defensible. But the real issue here in the US is the chinese government getting involved and pressuring us to reprimand him. It's gone beyond what he said, which frankly isn't important in the US at this point.

From the American standpoint this is a communist government using economic influence to pressure a company to silence free speech, and that is a precedent the vast majority of Americans are not okay with regardless of what he was commenting on. Had this just been the chinese people voluntarily choosing to boycott, it's a different thing.

15. MrJason

MrJason Member

Not sure why OP posted the video. It’s literally an old lady being an old lady. She doesn’t care what’s going on about the politics or the abuse of the people by the HK police. All she cares about is being able to drive around. That video doesn’t show either side of the HK protests.

A month or two ago the police in HK worked with the Triad to beat people on subways during protests while shooting rubber bullets and tear gassing peaceful protests. Trying to silence the people with violence is what made the protesters

ECHKG, Yung-T, TheRedRanger and 7 others like this.
  16. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Excuse me if I am wary and suspicious of your account. You joined Clutchfans, a forum dedicated to Houston Rockets and discussions about the team, in 2012, and you finally make your first 3 posts in the last hour, which happens to be about China and HK protest. I get that there are many lurkers, who rarely or never post, but there's usually some sort of pattern or consistency with the lurkers. I'm not debating with you about China or HK protest, but I am questioning your account.

Yung-T, s3ts, The_Yoyo and 1 other person like this.
  17. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

How dare u question when someone says "Free [city name]!"

18. MrJason

MrJason Member

If that’s how they treat the NBA (multi-billion dollar business partner from a democratic nation), imagine what they would do to people trying to protest against mainland China.

People have been “disappearing” for years. There have been numerous human rights investigations because the number of organ transplants do not make sense. Turns out that they have been taking organs from the millions of Muslims in their detainment camps and have been using organ-harvesting buses to kidnap people. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

Now they’re getting mad because they can’t silence one man, the apparent leader of the free world.. Daryl Morey.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Contributing Member

Principles, ethics, etc. At some point, for some people, those things matter.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Let's see the Lies in this post.

Lie no.1

" I don't think it should be a debate about freedom of speech"

The CCP officially stated
    Different definitions of freedom of speech, one coming from an absolute regime and one coming from the free world. And there shouldn't be a debate?

Lie no.2
    "Anyone remember Occupy Wall Street?"

Did these americans rioted and protested because they didn't have voting rights?

Did they protest because they could be sent off to gulags without trials and get their organs harvested?

I guarantee you that the whole american nation would riot and burn the country to the ground if the government sent 2 million americans to concetration camps.

Lie no.3
    "Ppl always support it when it not happen in your neighbourhood"

When it comes to fight for freedom Hong Kong is nothing.
    Have you even read any history?

Ppl support it even more when it happens in their neighbourhood and it's THEIR freedoms at stake.

Yung-T, TheRedRanger, s3ts and 10 others like this.