1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(Debbie Downer) How Much Do We Really Over-Rate the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Oct 6, 2010.

1. RocketMania1991

----------Warning---------
    Debbie Downer incoming.

As a Rockets fan I try and keep an optimistic tune toward the team, but I feel some fans are truly over hyping this rockets team and have the expectations set far to high.

From some of the posts i've been reading people are continually trying to stay away from the likely reality of this Rockets team. Everyone is trying to sugarcoat our situation to make us seem like something we aren't.

Lets get some information straight.

The Rockets have no shot at winning the NBA Title this year barring a major blockbuster, that's right zip-zero-nadda.

Everyone believes that we are one of the only teams that can truly compete with the Lakers.
    That has to be one of the biggest jokes ever. Yes we took them to 7 games 2 years ago , but boasting about losing a series in 7 games gets old real fast. While we are busy parading and hoping that we can finally beat the Lakers they have won 2 titles, us none.

We constantly use that series as reasoning for how good we are, and that is a horrible scale to judge the team on. Times have changed the Lakers are the best team in the NBA, while we are in the middle echelon.

Next many people on this board have the feeling that we are the 2nd best team to the Lakers. Are you kidding me?

What have we done to show that we are better than any of the other playoff teams in previous years?
    Sweet we beat the Blazers, but had we faced the Jazz again we probably would of gone down for the trifecta 0/3.

Realistically speaking we are the 3rd best team in our own division, possibly worse.

People get offended far to easily on this board when someone declares Yao Ming as being inferior to Dwight Howard (Which is blatantly obvious), or says something demeaning about the team. I understand as fans we are supposed to back our team, but don't be so foolish about it.

This might seem like some sort of a rage vent, but I'm sick and tired of reading people act like we are an elite team in the Western Conference. You aren't an elite team until you actually accomplish something.

Everyone says if only we can beat the Lakers, how about if we can beat any of the other teams in a series? That will be a challenge in itself

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i wont lie, that game last night has me concerned a little. YES i know its preseason, and its yaos first action in over a year, but the rockets just didnt look like i expected them to. i thought we could get 50 wins fairly easily, thats how good the rockets look healthy on paper, but maybe i should lower my expectations a bit.

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

OK, then. What do you propose we do about this very serious situation?

5. rocketsmetalspd

The team will only get better as the season goes along. I will wait and see how the team looks after the first month of the season to decide whether or not this team will be a competing for the top four spots or just getting by to make the playoffs.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Kinda quick to pull the tank card.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think its fairly obvious that this team (more then recent years) and more then an average team in the nba is hard to pin down how well they could do. mostly because of yao but also if kevin martin starts playing well. and also having a bunch of 2nd to 3rd players that you are hoping improve.

so yes they could in fact end of as the 1st-3rd seed or all the way down to the 9th or 10th seed if everything falls apart.

and for example you know this year that the mavs and lakers will in fact make the playoffs, and that the wolves and grizzles will probably miss the playoffs again. the rockets are not so easy.

1 person likes this.
  8. ThaShark316_28

No ****. Where you go, Harvard?

Come on man, who don't know that? Shouldn't have made the thread to be honest.

9. RocketMania1991

The Rockets are a unique team.

We are probably a few injuries away from complete rebuild mode, or a few moves away from title push.

Not many teams are in that predicament.

2 people like this.
  10. RocketMania1991

Calm down, not sure how much of these boards you read, but a large portion of the board has this scenario.

2011 NBA Title
    Lakers/Rockets Miami Heat

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I really don't get concerned with what might happen or what people expect to or not to occur. I learned, from the Championship Era, to enjoy the ride/journey because if something special does happen you never know when you might get to see and experience it again.

I think that the Rox will contend for the West title but will need a Rasheed Wallace type acquisition to put them over the top.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well then why even play the season?

Come on, of course they have a shot, to give up after one game in the preseason?

Even Chuck had to kiss a Donkey's ass to finally believe Yao could play.

This team will be in the mix....a contender, but not a favorite.

Top 3 in the WC if they stay healthy.

BELIEVE !!

DD

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah they need to make the SF position stronger. its just hard to overcome a playoff series with your starting SF having 3 and 4 point games.

14. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Well than.......let's turn off the forums, TV and wait till next season's 1st preseason game.

15. RocketMania1991

I'm definitely not saying don't play the season. Every season is memorable and has its defining moments. I'm speaking as of right now and from my honest opinion.

Certainly as the season progresses we could easily make some major roster changes or other factors could come into play that could help our chances.

16. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

We need to trade some of our players and like Clutch said in his interview yesterday on 1560, at least 1 of the 3 starters on our team is a goner.

We need to keep an eye out for the Melo and CP3 situation and even Steve Nash probably because his team will likely struggle and I can see them rebuilding.

Lets hope Morey doesn't screw this one up.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Like the team coming together?

The Rockets were not favorites when they won it, in either year....

Have faith, let the chips fall where they may.....

Most of the guys you covet as Superstars are not going to win it this year either.

DD

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Morey We Trust!

19. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Um...? That Rockets team had the greatest player in the history of the league in Hakeem on it.

We have no one even close to that on our current roster.

That is straight up disrespecting the legacy of the Dream and those championship Rockets.

20. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member