1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dear Black Voters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jul 15, 2012.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't believe the smears.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You know, basso, if you'd like to PM me and the other black voters here your address; I think we'd be willing to meet and give you an opportunity to win us over. I got some cousins in Hempstead and my younger brother lives in Brooklyn, so we can totally fast track this meet and greet and get you some extra "R's" by Halloween.

1 person likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Good angle. You can't even tell he's running and they are about to beat him with the signs.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

oh politicians... good 'love' them.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yes, because they are both the same person.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

George Romney also released 12 years of tax returns when he ran for President.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Do you have the picture where he's giving those kaffirs the number to his realtor, applications to the management trainee program at AM, the names of the membership committee at his golf club, and the address to the dean of admissions at his kids' school?

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If George Romney were alive today he would be a Democrat and embarrassed at the BS his son was spewing.

1 person likes this.
  9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Damn

Clutch is still letting this freak start threads?

10. basso

Supporting Member

malheureusement, the fine fellows who run the door (union/democrats) would probably not let you in. tant pis.

my style is more gentle persuasion over an adult beverage, which i've shared on numerous occasions with several posters here. oddly, one or two have demonstrated their open-mindedness by declining my (several) invitations.

curious.

but perhaps more on point, why does the thought of voting republican render you such a pitiful caricature of the men George Romney marched with?

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You claiming that George Romney is somehow representative of today's Republican party is like claiming that Abraham Lincoln would be a rank and file member today.

George Romney HATED the conservative wing of the party. He walked out of the convention when Goldwater accepted the nomination. George Romney constantly butted heads with Nixon over desegregation and affirmative action (which he was a huge supporter of).

George Romney would be called a pinko commie in today's Republican Party and for you to somehow invoke him as evidence that today's Republican Party isn't a bunch of right wing crazies, is laughable.

Bottom line.

George Romney IS NOT running for president. Mitt Romney is. So how about you tell me why African Americans should vote for Mitt. You've made a compelling case for voting for George Romney but unfortunately for you, he's not on the ballot.

1 person likes this.
  12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

How is participating in a civil rights march compelling evidence George Romney would be a good president, anyhow?

Don't Republicans always complain that African-Americans only vote for Obama because of his race---so now, they want to propose an argument that they should vote for Romney because his father once participated in a civil rights march???

13. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

As opposed to being a member of an organization that taught blacks were not equal until 1978?

...right...

14. geeimsobored

His father was a good guy and did a lot for civil rights. He definitely did far more than just marching in a demonstration.

But if you took a look at George Romney's position on various issues involving race, you'd find that today's Republican Party disagrees with almost all of them. The fact that Basso is spending his breath talking about someone from the freaking 60s as evidence that the Republican Party gives a damn about African Americans tells you everything.

15. basso

Supporting Member

It tells me nothing.

Please explain what republican, or romney, policies you to be "anti-black?"

16. Northside Storm

I will give credit where credit is due if that is the case.

But given the fact that voters have to choose between the two sides of Mitt already, I don't think throwing George out there as some kind of other side of Mitt helps that out one bit.

17. Northside Storm

I wouldn't say "anti-black". Anti-middle and lower class maybe, to the point where people of all stripes and kinds, should find them repugnant.

[​IMG]

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/the-church-versus-the-right/

18. Northside Storm

19. geeimsobored

George Romney was a huge advocate of affirmative action, supported the initial wave of court ordered desegregation (including inter-district remedies and busing policies), was a big advocate of public housing and welfare programs both as governor of Michigan and as a presidential candidate, and he created a statewide income tax to help pay for all of this.

Mitt Romney on the other hand agrees with exactly none of that. Not to mention you were the one that brought up George Romney.

To borrow from Lloyd Bentsen, Mitt Romney is no George Romney.

1 person likes this.
  20. basso

Supporting Member

All policies that had some utility 50 years ago. We live in a different world now.