1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins starts holdout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No, the point wasn't to hold out at length now. The point was only to prove that he has no problem using a holdout as a tool for next year. I disagree with that tactic but I understand his logic.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hahaha it's so funny that some people think he was just trying to make a point. He was asked that very same question by a reporter, and he refuted that notion.

I guess 40k a day didn't having anything to do with it.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ah you're right. Option year at high rate for 1st rounders I believe

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

market being set

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Emmanuel Sanders gets $27M in guarantees on his 3-year, $33M deal through 2019. Would have been a 30-year free agent next year if no deal.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/773651511792525312" data-datetime="2016-09-07T22:37:48+00:00">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Let the QB go, pay the money to the receivers. That's a bold strategy Elway.

6. Fantasma Negro

Why didn't they just fully guarantee the deal? That extra 6 is probably roster/workout bonuses, so he's going to earn all 33 mil. Elway is an idiot and somehow the media just keeps blowing him. I can't wait til tonight when Captain Simien and the space Monkeys get that action

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What do you mean?

John McClain has the Broncos number 1 in his power rankings.

8. Fantasma Negro

I'm gonna step out on a limb and say Denver won't be as good as the media say they will

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There was an article on ESPN of players who likely would be on different teams come next season. It listed Sanders as one of them because there was no way they would spend enough money to keep him after Thomas and Miller. Now how stupid they look, but the media still backs him for being a genius and letting that garbage heap Osweiler go....

I want one SINGLE media person to come out and say they would rather have Siemien than Brock.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're standing on the trunk of the tree when you say that.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The comparison is gonna be Brock vs Lynch

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If Brock comes out and performs as well as many, including I think, the media narrative will def change for the worse with Elway letting him go because of the extra 2mil annually.

With the way bill O'brian has coached up the last 2 QBs one being a washed up Fitzpatrick and the other a career journeymen backup in Hoyer to respectable. I don't doubt that we will see the best QB play of the O'brian era.

I can see Brock throwing for 4000+ with 30td and prob 10 picks. If he can do that and the Texans win 10+ games and out back in the playoffs with another AFC South crown, well mr. Elway will be looking mighty dumb.

Paxton lynch might be good but he's not going to really be ready for till year 3. Brock was ready as he's ever going to be, he went the old approach in that he was a backup for 4 seasons much like Rodgers was to farve and countless others. That's how it was up until recently were every young QB is basically forced into starring roles there first year.

Will see but I think Elway made a bad move. At worst Brock can be a elite game manager and that's more than good enough with what the Broncos have over there. There defense and skill position players are very good. They just don't have the most important position...QB.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I actually think Brock's overall rankings in the 20's-mid 20's for starting QB's is accurate by the analysts. Those would be top 10 numbers if he does that.

That ranking seems very low especially compared to what the Texans have had. But when you see the names of QB's who are consistently good, contributed winning years or great stat years, or are highly regarded prospects, then it makes sense to not over-project Brock's good but not great limited work. I wouldnt project him any higher than #18 to start the season

Brock being so low though, he has the chance to out-produce the original ranking. Id rather that low starting point then people boosting him up as top 12 just to see him crash harder. The encouraging thing is BOB has gotten better production from journeyman QB's in JUST the 1 YEAR 1 offseason with him, it didnt take 2-3 years development. Brock GETS chance at extra years to be even better as he goes.

Still Brock was one of the best 26yo & under offensive prospects on the market. (Along with Lamar Miller, I think thats a GREAT haul to get TWO even in a down free agent year). And yeah Denver shoulda gave Brock the money over Sanders regardless

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brock is #10 in guaranteed money

15. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Next level. Thank you <a href="https://twitter.com/adidasFballUS">@adidasFballUS</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/kanyewest">@kanyewest</a> <a href="https://t.co/4kfnN9C38P">pic.twitter.com/4kfnN9C38P</a></p>&mdash; Deandre Hopkins (@Nukdabomb) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nukdabomb/status/774231669091950592">September 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

From his SI cover:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/08/houston-texans-deandre-hopkins-wide-receiver-rising-stars

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Deandre is going to holdout his nads after his 3rd TD of the day

19. Commodore

welp, this is the ceiling

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he should command something like 13 or 14 mil a year given that he's not a top 5 WR but he'll probably think that he's better than that. Maybe they settle for 15 a year