1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i don’t really see that, but not worth arguing. We shall see how far they go!

D-rock likes this.
  2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Great point about WB and Harden. Especially if teams start hunting for them on the pick and roll to iso them (like how the Rockets hunted opposing teams center with Harden/Capella).

Not sure how much Jordan Bell or any new big the Rockets acquire will actually play, but I fear P.J. Tucker is going to be in for a lot of pain, playing big minutes at the 4 & 5.

Easy likes this.
  3. JackLordsHair66

[l
    Neither do I, LAL and MB are pretty athletic teams with heir length, even Howard can play on the perimeter a little bit. Giannis and Lopez play outside the lane all the time so no changes there I just don’t think this new Rockets line up works against teams with bigs that are athletic which are the top 2 teams at this point ...

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok so you moved your goal posts now you think that the Rox added value so they could dump contracts?

The value exchanged is pretty much even:
    +12M capspace
    +Jordan Bell
    +2nd Round pick
    -FRP

If we take out Roco and Capela in the equation pretty sure Jordan Bell, 12M in capspace and a 2nd Round pick all combined is worth a little more than a low FRP. It doesnt matter how you slice it the Rox didnt get ripped off on this trade.

Chamillionaire and topfive like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I didnt claim they outplayed each other I said Capela has a history of poor performance based on his averages you were the one singling out his performance vs Gobert like its a big thing.

Neither Gobert nor Capela are superstars they arent movers and shakers in the West so how they perform head2head vs each other is unimportant. It doesnt matter if Capela owned Gobert the Jazz are a low power team Rox gonna roll them no matter what happens between Capela and Gobert. What is more important is how these 2 perform in then playoffs in general, cuz thats how you judge them not vs 1 matchup against a specific player. In terms of averages Gobert averaged 12 and 10 so that is a lot better than what Capela averages in the playoffs, Gobert is more effective and will give you more production than Capela when it matters thats why he is better.

The one whose time is getting "waisted" here is me.

Good day sir!

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tucker not 5 on defense, at least not always. Rockets will switch so it could be Tucker, Harden or Covington.

Still believe an athletic and longer big needs to be acquired as well as another back up wing.

Easy likes this.
  7. ch44

ch44 Member

Rockets may have found their guy. Not super exciting, but a fit. We should know more in a few hours either way because the other teams want to finalize the deal.

8. TheSource

TheSource Member

:(

D-rock likes this.
  9. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

welp......

10. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Warmly welcome DMO!!!! @DaDakota ITS HAPPENING!!!

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

James Johnson???

JoeBarelyCares, joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yep. This has been my point for a few years now. The idea of small ball originally was to spread the floor, shoot threes, take bigs out of the paint, etc.

But increasingly, and this trend will continue just by virtue of kids growing up, the bigs will be able to do all these things, while being big.

are we going to see a league of Giannis’ that can hit threes at 35%?? Of course not, but there will be “lots” of solid 6’8-6’10 guys that can be super versatile, guard multiple positions, stretch the floor, etc. you’ll still need traditional PGs here and there and large rim protecting centers.

but the best of the best teams will be deep enough to mix and match all that.

DM knows this... which is why he’s trying to acquire a center.

if they were really all-in on small ball they’d keep what they have.

13. Bobby Jackson Rules

bye bye Allen, Looney, Bryant....... It was a good dream.

hakeem94 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Eastern or western conference

15. Section123row16seat1

So is the deal done and another deal is happening or is the original deal being added to

D-rock likes this.
  16. WestendMassive

I'm actually suprised at how bad they've been this year - the absence of Collins early in the season has hurt them no doubt but I expected ATL to compete for a playoff spot.

17. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

As long as he over 6'10 and can block shots and rebound we Gucci

D-rock likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I can deal with just exciting. So that means no Jarrett Allen or Myles Turner type of deal, but more an Aaron Baynes/Derrick Favors sort of deal.

D-rock likes this.
  19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

20. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

The impact of these numbers can be drastically lessened in the playoffs when things get far more, or at times almost entirely matchup dependent. You're playing one team up to 7 times, not a random sampling of the league. If the Rockets choose to not play a true center virtually at all against the Lakers in a playoff series, they will lose. This 100% small ball strategy can work fine in the regular season & potentially against certain teams in the postseason, but if you face a poor matchup for it in one playoff series you're done.

Anthony Davis would have no issues defending the Covingtons & Tuckers of the world on the perimeter. Does anyone even think PJ Tucker could make Dwight Howard pay that dearly for guarding him out at the 3 point line? I understand part of it is to open things even more for Harden and the other guards, but still. I'd feel a lot better about this overall strategy if Tucker was actually someone who is dangerous offensively. The guy just scored 13 points for the first time in two months. Having him as a small ball center ad nauseum in the playoffs isn't worth what they're going to give up defensively & on the glass against a team like Lakers. I still think they could get past everyone else, but LA concerns me.