1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

De’Anthony Melton Isn’t Here to Create, He’s Here to Disrupt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2018.

1. seeingred

seeingred Member

Was having this debate at work: Which is more likely- a great defensive player learns to shoot the nba 3 at a passable clip? Or a great 3 point shooter learns to play defense at a passable level?

And assuming they both improve their weakness, which player is more valuable?

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much echoes my thoughts exactly.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No. As a pick no one saw coming.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Nobody selected with the 46th pick can ever be considered a bust.

If he is even an NBA rotation player that is a resounding success.

MrButtocks and Williamson like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ignoring the elephant in the room.

The fact that he wanted to get paid for playing basketball and got caught up in an FBI sting is a huge red flag!

justtxyank likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Found this nice tidbit from the below article:

https://stats.nba.com/articles/2018-nba-draft-profile-deanthony-melton/

Some good stats to reference.

D-rock and jakedasnake like this.
  7. jayydela

jayydela Member

Hoping he can be our version of Andre Roberson, finger crossed he can eventually be a shooter though

8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

I would say Defensive guy learning 3 is more likely. Defense is about work and effort. Doing the details right. If they are willing to work, they can improve their shooting.

You need both, scorers and defenders. Value comes from what you are lacking. Supply and demand. If you have a bunch of shooters, the defenders value goes up.

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

great defender learning to shoot. being able to be a great defender is actually a skill in itself. people say defense is about effort, yeah it is but when you're elite its about instinct, studying/knowing tendencies & details, understanding correct schemes/weaknesses, knowing positioning. A player can develop a 3 point shot to be respectable if you already have the foundation to do so at the very least. Because much of it just has to do with confidence and becoming a routine.

Defense at a "passable" level has alot of question marks as what exactly is that level. This level will show itself as a glaring weakness eventually when you start facing elite talent which is inevitable if you're actually trying to win a championship.

Their value also depends on the team they're on. If you need a defensive player to surround your scorers then obviously the great defensive player is ideal. It's basically comparing Avery Bradley to Kyle Korver. Both are valuable to certain teams based on their system and who they're surround by

Voltik, Hakeemtheking and Bobsputin like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

He'll be cooking Curry too. Think Marcus Smart like disruption without the power.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It looks like that the Rockets are full of the former. Ariza, Luc and Tucker are all plus defenders who were not good 3 point threats coming out of college. Against Golden State, the former is more valuable than the latter because your worst defender is almost guaranteed to be forced to switch onto Steph Curry over and over. Kyle Korver, for example, is less valuable than Ariza/Luc/Tucker.

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Perfect, thanks. I see he shot 0.725 pts/pos on "Spot Up" in that same article. Also has a nice shot chart. Since he is a year removed from his Freshman year I am not even sure those stats matter at this point. Sounds like he is improving his jumper which is why Morey is high on him. I am excited about this kid. He could add good depth at the 1-3 spots it seems and contribute in spurts pretty quickly I imagine.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Wanting to get paid to play b-ball is a huge red flag? Out of all possible things that he could have done that is literally the least one that would bother me

darksoul35 and Little Bit like this.
  14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Exactly.

The playing for money sting doesn't scare me off either.

It happens more often than not and he somehow is the only one that gets busted? Most likely it's due to the fact that he went to USC.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. Orion025

Orion025 Member

Do you even know the whole story or are you just referencing sources?

[​IMG]

darksoul35, D-rock and robbie380 like this.
  16. photojoe

photojoe Member

10% of being an all star is actually pretty awesome to get that late in the draft

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Defenders learning how to shoot.

Jimmy Butler
    Kawhi
    PJ

3 defense first guys that gradually built their offensive niche. Westbrook was more of a defensive guy in college.

Defense is alot more physical trait and effort based.

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It also depends on the players mechanics, touch, and overall shooting skills whether he becomes one of the aforementioned examples or guys like:

MKG
    Stromile Swift
    Tyrus Thomas

etc.

Those guys would be or would have been great contributors at their respective positions, had they been able to shoot the ball with any sort of consistency.

With this guy, it doesn't look as though he has a damaged shooting stroke and same goes for Duval.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Melton reminds me of Beverly, but with bigger upside and hopefully better health. High bball IQ, long wingspan (6'8 for a guard is amazing), super athletic and has that high intensity mentality. I can totally see him in the 2nd unit with Gordon.

His FBI issue is a joke, there is nothing wrong accepting money from shoe companies and agents I mean he is already playing why can't he get paid for it?

Morey got himself a steal and tbh I jave mo clue why he lasted this long.

MichaelSpartan likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all Tyrus Thomas and Slowmile Swift's problems weren't that they can't shoot, its because they were too dumb and too unmotivated to play. They were big men, you see De Andre Jordan shooting jumpers? How come he is a star while these two aren't?

Secondly I would be ecstatic 0if we can get MKG in the 2nd round. You expect to get Steph Curry at the 48th pick? Lol

D-rock likes this.