1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Davis and Orlando very close, Sac or Hou are now Webber best options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carlit0, Jun 20, 2001.

1. carlit0

carlit0 Member

06/20-DAVIS COMING TO ORLANDO-

Antonio Davis made some comments this week that put to rest any doubts he's leaving the Raptors for the Magic saying "I have to make sure my family is happy now.

They have made sacrifices for me during my eight years in the league, and if I have to make sacrifices for them now, I will.

This is a very nerve-wracking time for me.

I don't like change, but I think whatever we decide, I can't go wrong.... I can't hide the fact that I love it here.

I wish we could talk about it now and get it settled.

I don't like the uncertainty, but there are rules we have to follow."- The only hurdle for the Magic is how to sign him. Magic GM John Gabriel told media he thought it would be extremely difficult to make the room necessary to sign Davis as a free agent, especially given the $7 million per season price tag his agent has floated to media, and Raptors sources say they are resistant to the idea of trading another player to the Magic and may not deal with Davis if his only choice is Orlando.

There is speculation that the Magic have pre-arranged a "3 way" transaction through Detroit to get Davis, but Gabriel has said that would be illegal and given the public nature of those details it would be hard to prove it was a spontaneous deal with no pre-arranged deal making.

Davis has said repeatedly he would not leave the Raptors in the cold and any decision he were to make he would try and work it through the Raptors.

Regardless of the details which cannot be openly discussed until July 1st, and can not be consummated until July 18th, this certainly was good news for the Magic, now they just have to find out who the Raptors like in the draft for a trade later.

http://www.bskball.com/Rumors.htm

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

2. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Also,

Speaking at Doc River's Annual charity Golf Tournament...

Antonio Davis indicated Orlando was where he'd want to be.

Looks like Davis is tried of all the havoc that has been going on in his life the last couple of weeks, with this trade speculation and then the strip joint allegations.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

3. Speed

Speed Member

Houston, Sac, and INDY are still in the running. I doubt that Indy does get Webber because I thinks he stays in Sacramento, but if he does leave I would think that he would go East, IMO. As for the Pacers wanting him, well of course they do, but Jermaine O'neal at 22 and additional players is a big price to pay. I hope he signs with Houston so that the Rox will not be able to pay Hakeem and are forced to sign and trade him, hopefully, to the Pacers. Although nearing the end of his career, Hakeem would instantly be one of the best centers in the East and a PERFECT fit for the Pacers. Now here comes the regulars saying "this isn't a Pacer BBS". I know, but there certainly seems to be some swaps that really fits between these two teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see a draft day deal between the Rox and Pacers with the Rox having multiple picks in the first round and the Pacers with none. Rox would love to move Cato, Pacers have no center. Austin Croshere was almost a Rocket, and Shandon Anderson was almost a Pacer. Mo Taylor was almost a Pacer. ETC. ETC. There is alot of needs for both teams that fit, IMO.

------------------
    http://jonathanbender.8m.com

http://alharrington.8m.com

http://jermaineoneal.8m.com

4. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

this isnt a pacer's BBS......

hehehe [​IMG]

------------------
    "The early bird may get the worm, but so does the bird that finished off the tequila bottle the night before" :)

5. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

In order for the Magic to sign A.Davis to the type of money he is asking (ie. more than their exception), they will need to unload some cap space, which means Outlaw ($6 mill), Miller ($2.5 mill) and Doleac ($2 mill) are becoming expendable. When you combine this piece of information with the fact that Gabriel has already stated he is willing to trade one his players (presumable the aforementioned ones above) for a lotter pick, with the hopes of drafting a big man. This is where the Rockets can become involved.

I'm not sure if the #13 pick is a high enough spot for the Magic to draft their desired big man (unlikely), but it nevertheless gives the Magic a chance to not only clear cap space to sign Davis, but they can also draft a young big man such as Woods or Haywood in the same move.

If the Rockets could somehow get Bo or Miller on their hands, that would be just sweet.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Snacks and drinks for five friends to watch game seven of the Stanley Cup finals at my house: $75.
    One authentic Avalanche sweater to wear while cheering on the team: $285.00.
    Seeing Ray Bourque lift the Stanley Cup for the first time in his 22-year career: PRICELESS.
    "

- Jeremy Elkins, hockey fan from Memphis

http://www.clutchtown.com

6. MManal

MManal Member

I think when its all said and done, the players the Magic will try to move are Bo Outlaw and Michael Doleac. A team with cap room ie the Rockets could probably get them for next to nothing. The only way Mike Miller will be dealt imo is if the Magic can broker a deal to get into the top 2 or 3 picks by packaging Miller, 15, 22.

I dont understand why papers keep quoting Outlaw's salary at 6 mil, its not, its 5 mil. If the Magic unload Doleac and Outlaw, their payroll committment will drop to slightly over 33 mil, giving them 9 mil in cap space to pursue Davis. Their draft picks would reduce this amount.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

7. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

By meaning 'next to nothing', does that mean the Rocks could simply send their #18 and some low-salaried player in exchange for either, if not both of Doleac and Outlaw? Would such a trade work cap-wise? Of course, such a move would affect Houston's own cap space and its hopes of resigning Taylor and possibly Dream, not to mention C-Webb. Pops, DocRock, Clutch, have you heard of anything regarding the Rocks showing any interest in terms of potentially dealing with the Magic?

It should be an interesting summer indeed ...

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Snacks and drinks for five friends to watch game seven of the Stanley Cup finals at my house: $75.
    One authentic Avalanche sweater to wear while cheering on the team: $285.00.
    Seeing Ray Bourque lift the Stanley Cup for the first time in his 22-year career: PRICELESS.
    "

- Jeremy Elkins, hockey fan from Memphis

http://www.clutchtown.com

8. MManal

MManal Member

Azim, what next to nothing refers to is getting them for a future draft pick. Remember when the Lakers were jettisoning salary for Shaquille O'Neal? They traded Peeler and Lynch for a pair of future second rounders, thats what Im talking about.

The only teams that can do that are the ones with cap room, Rockets, Bulls, Pistons, etc or a trade exception. That being said, the Rockets cannot take on Doleac/Outlaw and still sign Webber unless they unload one of their players already under contract on someone for nothing (Williams, Cato, etc). Thus, they shouldnt even consider this unless Webber informs him he has picked someone else. After C-Webb and Antonio Davis are off market, decision time comes along. Its a given that they would re-sign Mo Taylor. The remaining cap space would leave them with the option of re-signing Hakeem, signing someone like Marc Jackson or going out and acquiring Bo Outlaw and/or Michael Doleac off the Magic.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

9. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Living in Orlando now. I run a large atheletic shoe store, and have a friend who runs the Addidas store. Any how. He recently had Tracy McGrady in his store, and has Mike Millers brother in his employ. Dont ask me why Mikes brother even needs to work, but. He tells me that in a conversation with McGrady, Orlando is conceding the idea of ever getting Webber. And that Davis is as good as in a Magic Uni next season. You can expect Mike Millers brother to be seeking employ in an addidas store near you soon.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

10. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

As Eric Cartman would say......KICK AAAAAASSSSS!!!

------------------
    Dream
    Rejects
    Every
    Attempt
    Made

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Ummm just to clearify...

I didnt mean "near you" as to say exactly in Houston.

I meant it in that Mike Miller is almost guaranteed to be one of the players shipped out in order to make room for Davis meaning him and his brother would be moving soon.

Sorry if anyone may of misunderstood me.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

12. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Thanks for the clarification MManal, I guess Outlaw and Doleac would be good consolation prizes if Webber or any other free agent signee doesn't work out. I've been a big 'Bo to Houston' cheerleader for a couple of years now, and while he isn't the protypical Rudy T small forward, I still believe he would be a great fit in H-town.

Yes Dreamshake, I knew you would one day lurk from the shadows again, and its good to know your doing well in the Big-O. [​IMG] As for Miller and his brother on the move, one would think Houston is one of his more probable destinations, when considering cap space and our needs. But I would imagine the Magic would want to deal him in the near future, before signing Davis, while the Rockets wouldn't likely trade for him until late in the summer.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."
    - Geroge W. Bush, commenting on the troubled continent, to reporters in Sweden