1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Stern Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jan 16, 2014.

?

What will Stern be known for?

1. Frozen envelope + other rigged drafts

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Sonicsgate

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Globalization + massive growth

46 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Draft day heckling

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. 2002 WCF Kings-Lakers controversy

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. Lockouts + shortened seasons + biased CBA

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. "Basketball reasons"

13 vote(s)
    12.4%
  8. Tim Donaghy

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Hip-hop and dress code controversy

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Ladies and Gentleman, reading this article made me realize that we are witnessing the last moments of the David Stern era. February 1st marks the beginning of Adam Silver's term.

Frozen envelope
    Basketball reasons
    Sonicsgate
    NBA draft heckling
    7 new franchises + 6 relocations
    Massive globalization
    Growth of the league into Billion dollar franchises
    Cutting-edge technology + fan access (Sports Vu, Youtube, etc.)
    Recovery from the 80’s cocaine era
    Recovery from the Malice in the Palace
    White tees + Timberlands
    Tim Donaghy
    Joe Smith-Timberwolves tampering
    2002 Kings-Lakers WCF referee controversy
    2007 Suns-Spurs WC semifinals suspension controversy
    2005 Rockets-Mavs Yao ref controversy + $100K JVG fine
    Microfiber ball
    4 Lockouts, 2 shortened seasons, 1 referee lockout and the CBA favoring owners
    Draft age limit
    Jim Rome interview
    Spurs fined $250K for resting starters

How will you remember him?

#1 shastarocket, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

**** that piece of ****

3. NotChandlerParsons

Him cupping his ear and getting booed on draft night.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I don't care what I used to think of Stern... all I know is that NBA Draft with him playing the crowd while getting booed was absolutely brilliant, and it has changed my view of him forever.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, trying to dilute Stern's career into one specific instance is foolish. As with any public figure that has been in the spotlight for decades, there is good and bad. Yes, the meddling in the game - Lakers/Kings, "Basketball reasons," the Seattle travesty, etc. - has certainly given his critics more than enough fodder. However, he also took the league to new heights and has created a truly international game. Basketball is now the second most popular sport in the world and the NBA is, arguably, the most diverse league in American sports. He took over shortly after the league had tape-delayed Finals and now it's a juggernaut.

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I really wish this poll was just "Good things" or "Bad things," then explained what those things were in the post.

You broke up all the bad things into separate categories, and his 1 major good thing is it's own.

He did a really good job globalizing, but man he meddled more than any commissioner has/should. Screwing over multiple franchises with it (Sac & Seattle most notably).

7. shastarocket

^ I agree with your point, but my aim was to gauge what single moment/aspect will come to your mind when you think of Stern.

Of course, the man has been absolutely brilliant for the league and I'm confident no one would argue his strong points. Having said that, his colorful career will undoubtedly have a moment or aspect that will resonate with this league's fans. Just because it's the truth doesn't mean it has to be fair.

I chose specifically not to have a simple "black" or "white" poll because it wouldn't do his complicated career any justice.

8. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I really don't even know what to say about that man.

Anything dealing with the Rockets made me mad. JVG I'll pick for the first one.

9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Stern has had his questionable moments, but he has been absolutely phenomenal for the NBA. Just think of all the memories Houston has during his tenure. From Olajuwon to now. Stern hasn't jobbed the Rockets too much. Basketball reasons turned out to be one of the best things to happen to the Rockets in the last 10 years.

Now, if you think the NBA is rigged, I'm sure that you despise the guy, but he has been a phenomenal businessman. That's what it is all about in the long run.

As far as single moment, for me, it is him trolling the crowd at the draft.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

lol david stern owns. i love how he keeps his calm and swags on reporters who are trying to troll him.

stern is a lot smarter and has done a lot more for the nba and basketball in general than many people fail to realize.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mark Cuban insists he's going to figure out one last way to get fined by Stern before he retires.

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

the Kings vs Lakers 02 series was the worse but i voted for Globalization + massive growth

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Being a complete Jackass.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I will forever be grateful to Stern for the "basketball reasons", and Morey should be also. Thank you Commissioner.

15. shastarocket

That was my choice too. Everything surrounding "Basketball Reasons" is fascinating.

During the time, you couldn't believe that the league would veto a trade where the NBA-owned Hornets would (seemingly) get solid value for their franchise player. The conspiracy nuts couldn't believe that the NBA would stand in the way of massively strengthening the Lakers. At the same time, Lakers fans raged at the thought of missing out on CP3 and creating the premier destination for D12.

And finally, you have the Rockets (and cfans) devastated at missing out on Morey's giant step towards NBA relevance after so much buildup. Underwhelmed with the trade, Rockets fans genuinely began to question whether Morey would be able to deliver.
    Stern's decision was deemed a massive overreach of power and his explanation of "basketball reasons" drew the ire of sports fans everywhere. I can only imagine how Kupchak and Morey truly feel about Stern.

It is even more fascinating in retrospect.
    Kupchak landed D12 anyway and was able to field a squad that should have dominated the league. However, missing out on CP3 meant that, once Kobe went down and D12 left, the Lakers are a joke. New Orleans found an owner and ended up flipping CP3 for a worse package, but tanked into Anthony Davis. Meanwhile, the clippers have achieved contender status as a direct result of the veto.

Finally, the Rockets (arguably) came out the strongest from all of this. Instead of toiling with Pau and (allegedly) Nene, we are rolling with Harden and D12. In two years, Morey becomes god.

Sitting behind all this is Stern. He trusted his gut and had the balls to follow through with it. The dude endured years of anger from a huge fan base and the media without a single hint of doubt or regret.
    Regardless of what you imagine happened behind closed doors, his veto allowed for New Orleans to have a much brighter future.

The man is a legend, honestly no other commissioner compares.

16. Pete the Cheat

May Satan wrap your wrinkly old balls around a bush of thorns spewing molten lava

17. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

He will be remembered as the person who makes NBA a global game. However, I think he is just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. There has been an enormous progress of globalization in every facet of our life in the last 30 years. I would argue that a lot of people would have made similar achievements (if not more).

18. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Magic / Bird, then MJ and the Bulls, made the NBA what it is today...

Notwithstanding, can't diminish Stern's guidance either.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Basketball would have gone global with or without Stern. I suppose the seminal event you could attribute globalization to would be the Dream Team. If you wanna credit Stern for that, I dunno, I don't have the perspective.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Stern is an absolute scumbag, but he did save Maury from himself by rescinding the trade where the Rockets were about to doom themselves to mediocrity while simultaneously gift wrapping CP3 to the Lakers. For that reason alone this thread should be in the GARM.

The dynamic players are the ones that have made the league popular not this corrupt commissioner.