1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Letterman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc rock, May 16, 2015.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[youtube]X9I9zafXQkk[/youtube]

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Late Night with David Letterman was the first show I remember trying to stay up late to watch.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I remember when David Letterman was the weatherman for Channel 13 in Indianapolis. He was unique even back then.

Another Indy boy who did well for himself.

Watching him age over the years makes me feel old even though he's a lot older than I am.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I never cared for Letterman, but watching these comedians get all choked up got to me.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Him and Hakeem. My 2 celebrity idols growing up.

Been a rough several weeks watching the shows. Norm last night made me lose it.

I will be in the audience at the taping of his final show. It's going to be a completely surreal experience. Still can't fully process the fact that I'm going.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Absolutely agreed. I copied his humor....I still do, honestly. Makes me feel really old to think he will be off the TV landscape.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dude that is awesome! Very jealous...

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wow that is awesome! Live in NY?

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

never saw him in his prime but he's just been mailing it in and banging the staff for at least a decade

1 person likes this.
  11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Late Night is terrible, and Letterman is completely unfunny. By far the worst late night show on TV.

1 person likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

... [​IMG]

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

"They pelted us with rocks and garbage!" :grin:

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

Nope, flying up for a quick trip Tuesday.

On a lark, I signed up through the site, not thinking there was really any chance of getting tickets. Place only seats 400, I would have assumed it's all friends and family of staff for final show.

Lady called me last week and I almost had a heart attack. I still have no idea if I was selected by lottery, or nobody thought to sign up, or if I was on a list because I've been and signed up a few times before over the years and they wanted big fans there, or what. I didn't ask questions. I was in shock. I had to then call the audience coordinator and leave a message, and she didn't get back to me for a few days, and I figured it was over. Then, Thursday night she called (right before the Rockets game...surreal night for me) and I had to answer a trivia question (what are the xmas show traditions), then give her driver's license info of me and my guest.

Still have had to keep checking myself, and confirm that I didn't lose my mind and make myself believe this all to be true, and that it actually happened. I won't fully believe that I'm going until I'm being let into the theater.

1 person likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow that is amazing man.

personally for me i havent watched him much anymore since the 90's. and he never really made me laugh a ton. but he was always easily, very easily my favorite out of him and leno, and any other late night shows during the time.

and also he just seemed likable. best of luck man. i hope everything goes great.

no one knows yet who is on the last show right?

one last thing on the off chance i read the rolling stone article recently about letterman. a pretty good article i reccommend it if you get a chance.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, "a night of surprises" was all that's announced. regis isn't scheduled for monday or tuesday, so he'd be 100%. there's still ambiguity whether or not leno will be on, so i could envision a cameo. maybe billy joel if there's a musical guest. a buddy of mine jokingly predicted andy kaufman.

i read the rolling stone article. good stuff. there's an interview in a few hours on the cbs sunday morning show that should be good.

17. Buck Turgidson

I haven't seen any of the "farewell tour" shows in the past few weeks. Cardpire or anyone who's been watching, who are some of the better guests? Would like to hit up youtube one of these days and watch a few of them.

I haven't watched him, or any late night show, in years and years, but he was a staple back in the day.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

The ones posted in thread and Chris Elliot from a couple months ago were some of the more touching ones. There have been highlight packages shown on most of the shows over the past several weeks which have been cool.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that Letterman often gets overlooked for his contributions because so much what he originated is now common and everybody is doing things like he started.

I remember as a kid I used to want to stay home from school to watch his morning show. I didn't understand half of it, probably, but it was hilarious and like nothing that was on before.

Just a couple more contributions were all of his bits with Chris Elliot and Larry Bud Melman.

It's crazy to think how the Larry "Bud" schtick seems played out now, but at the time when it started nobody had seen anything like it.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Letterman is the best. His show was classy silliness. He also didn't give in to changes, stayed true to talk show host format always making the show about the guest and not himself.