1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Blatt?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ipaman, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Would you do it? Lakers are supposedly interested but as constructed we're miles ahead of the Lakers.

Why I would consider it.

1) Harden is a pick and roll player but currently we run a stagnate version of it. Blatt with is Princeton offense background has many fluid PnR sets.

2) He did take the Warios to 6. Yea he had LeJames but that was a worn out injured squad he had and I thought he did a really good job even though he had the no-timeout issue he got away with.

3) Was never really given a chance with LeJames "outranking" him. It was a joke and really unfair. Would be interesting to see what he could do if he was really the head man. He was FIRED while in 1ST PLACE FOR GOD SAKES!!! It was a COUP led by LeJames (and other salty vets) and he was out!!!

4) Didn't get to pick his assistant coaches. Lue (his replacement) was forced on him LOL!!!

5) Versatility. He rode his strategy to Euroleague finals but sometimes abandoned them and went with what was working instead. This is in stark contrast to guys like JVG who won't change what they do.

Biggest reason against Blatt, he has no balls!!! Maybe they dropped with the firing but no doubt he has to man up. Also, we have poor 3pt shooters and lazy players. He always had success when he had good 3pt shooters and hard working teams. BUT, shooting and lazy players is a problem for anyone who is hired as coach not just for him.

2. ibm

ibm Member

that lebron got him fired may have done more damage than people think. respect could be a big issue. :(

also, still a less proven coach in the nba than jvg.

still prefer gundy.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The respect issue is huge, agreed with IBM.

The public image of him is going to be the Cavs ignoring his play calls and essentially running him out of town because the players didn't respect him.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I wouldn't hate it tbh. He had success in Cleveland though Cleveland has a ton of talent.

My issue is inmates running the asylum. He isn't a players coach (far from one) but he never really seemed to have control of his team. You could tell that LeBron and other players never really respected him.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Rockets will target Van Gundy.

If not him.........

Spurs Assistants ? I don't see us reaching for Blatt / Walton

6. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I would love him as an assistant, but I have a feeling he goes to GSW if Walton leaves for a HC job. He was almost an assistant there before he took the CLE job.

7. chandlerbang21

How can this team be ahead of lakers when both will rebuilding this offseason

8. ipaman

If RESPECT is the biggest concern then there is only two available candidates that make sense. JVG or Sam Cassell. All the others are rookie head coach or recycled fodder.

Also when thinking of RESPECT, keep in mind that Blatt and JVG have the same number of NBA titles.

9. ipaman

You're either trolling or stupid.

This team was in the WCF last year and still in the playoffs this year. The Lakers are a burning pile of garbage and have been for several years.

Right now, Rockets HC is way more attractive job than the Lakers HC.

10. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

+ There is a chance the LAkers lose out on there 1st round pick. That franchise could be set back, especially with Buss still running things

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

God no. Worst possible hire.

12. RESINator

RESINator Member

I doubt Harden would give him any respect

13. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Lol, are we really miles ahead? Look at our roster, we have Brewer and Terry on the team, that alone should tell you something. The Lakers at least 3 young guys they can try to pin their future on. What separates us from them is Harden and Dwight and everybody wants to see Dwight gone next season.

Blatt would be a terrible hire, the only reason he was successful is because he had Lebron. Lebron makes any coach look decent, look at the Mike Brown situation.

14. malakas

malakas Member

I would prefer JVG to Blatt.
    He has a difficult personality and with the way Lebron treated him and everyone had tuned him out, don't see how Harden would ever listen to him.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't know if Blatt ever had the opportunity to do what he wanted in Cleveland
    I think the fact that he deferred too much was an issue

Rocket River

16. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

JVG for HC, Blatt as assistant would be great

17. ibm

ibm Member

morey needs to get it done by thursday.

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

People on this board need to put their fantasies aside and learn this team needs only a proven veteran coach. Team has issues and need a desciplinerian. We can't just experiment with coaches at this stage.

19. ibm

ibm Member

morey needs to get it done by thursday.

signed,
    leslie alexander
    april 25, 2016

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Blatt let his star player do what he wanted so **** no!