1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

David Andersen Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aussie rocket, Oct 6, 2009.

1. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I'm not willing to say Cook or Frye is a better option just yet, but I sure would like to see more of Cook. He is definately in better shape and in the past he had a sweet shot. He obviously is stronger than Anderson, and if can be more aggressive in the paint than I have seen him in the past he would be a better option. I just don't know if he has any nasty in him, and we need nasty and size in the paint really bad.

2. van chief

van chief Member

are his eyes closed?

3. dtrain0928

dtrain0928 Member

speaking of ball hogs.... i dont think JT know what the word pass means!!

4. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I was really disappointed. How could he have heard all the ball hog comments over the past several weeks and still chunk it up every time he got the ball no matter how poor a shot it was. I wouldn't give him much more of a shot if he does that another couple of times. He's probably D-League this year.

5. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

DeJuan Blair abused the Chuckwagon a few times in a way that few NBA veterans have been able to do. Why would anyone be surprised that Blair would abuse David Andersen in his first NBA game? I think, given time, Andersen can fulfill the role he is being paid to play. Patience, folks. :cool:

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I was looking for a post that summed up feelings. This would pretty much be it.

The argument that it was only his first game can only go so far. It was DeJuan Blair's first game, too.

Andersen looked like hot garbage out there. One of the worst players I've ever seen in an NBA uniform in a preseason game or otherwise. He was like a less athletic Ryan Bowen without the defensive intensity.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Please stop this. Channing Frye is horrible and any time you boost him it makes you look like you have no clue what you are talking about. He's managed to become a declining player by age 23. And this is coming from somebody who used to boost Frye all the time and even started a trade thread about him.

Since the heady days of 2006 I've seen the light, however. And therefore, whining about Frye vs. Anderson essentially boils down to saying "Well, Andersen looked like TOTAL CRAP - Morey's an idiot, because in Channing Frye, we have a chance to get some SERIOUS POOP." - it's nitpicking for its own sake, even if Andersen does end up sucking and a total bust - because total bust is Frye's middle name.

8. BrooksBall

It wasn't just Blair abusing him. The only thing about his game that resembles that of a big man is his height. I'd rather play Lowry at center than Andersen.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thanks BrooksBall :D

10. BrooksBall

I just went through the first page or so until I read jopa's take. I'd like to be optimistic and I'm sure Andersen will improve to some extent but I'm not sure he'll be able to get into game situations enough in order to do that.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Gheez people, give the guy a couple weeks of practice and some games at the NBA level to adjust to the speed. This was his FIRST time playing in any NBA game. It will take an adjustment period for him. He was not brought in to replace Yao as the starting C. His true role will be a backup C/PF that will stretch defenses with his jump shot. He is being asked to do something right now that is very difficult for a lot of players. Once he gets the speed of the league down and understands the offense, you will see that jump shot n full display. You guys are expecting waaaaay too much from this guy RIGHT NOW. Chill.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Absolutely absurd.

Dorsey was a freebie second rounder who we pay very little money to sit at the end of our bench.

Andersen has played one pre-season game and may yet be a quality backup center. Oh - and we still have Chuck Hayes and Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Taylor was a second round pick and has also only played one preseason game.

Barry had a solid career - we paid him very little money - and it was definitely worth seeing if he still had a little more in the tank. He didn't - but that was irrelevant because Morey was smart enough not to bank on Barry being productive.

Francis - basically the same thing. When we signed Francis to very little money, we had both Rafer Alston and Mike James on the roster. It was clear that we weren't counting on productivity from Francis - but if he did produce we would have been big winners. It was a sensible gamble in which he kept his bets covered.

Basically, in all cases Morey understood the risks involved in the moves and covered his bets. He didn't rely on productivity from those guys. It wasn't a situation like signing somebody like Kelvin Cato or Mo Taylor to big bucks. They were all cheap moves that could have paid off but didn't. That's going to happen.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He looks like a giant blindfolded mole on defense.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think he just said something about having to compete with what Yao has done here, the expectations would be high right off the bat...

15. leebigez

Sam, all that I've said is that this yr without yao and the wanting a jump sshooting big, for the money and production and rediness, I think frye or sean marks was the better choice. In fact oberto was probably a better choice. Frye I think has been caught in bad situations and i'm very interested in what he will do in phoenix. Make no mistake,I hope he plays very well,I just don't think he's that good. I could be wrong and it won't be the first time.

16. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

After one game you guys act like he is the worse player ever. What if Kobe had an awful game in first game ever. You would have got rid of him. luckily none of people control the roster. Im not saying Anderson is great but not to many people light it up in the first game of the seaon or the first NBA game ever played in.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Actually I remember him signed after his stretch with a couple of 20 pts outings as a Knickerbocker.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fry has been very busy in Phoenix, chasing cougars at sushi restaurants and going to movies. Seems like an engaging young man off the court. On it...

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

yeah, it's amazing how some people actually have to blink! :D

20. leebigez

Well Sam, at least he knows where to find the freaks. When you're mid twenties and single, the late 30s woman is top shelf. We used to clean up the base in SA in the earl 90s and pput up A-Rod numbers.