1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Aldrich NBA.com article: Some players (MELO!!) are upset about their player ranking

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL David Aldrich has been busy today

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/...rs-uproar-over-rankings-lists-carmelo-anthony

Nothing fake about some players' unrest over player-ranking lists
    Where one ranks on preseason lists truly does rile up some NBA superstars
    [​IMG]
    David Aldridge TNT Analyst
    @daldridgetntArchive
    Sep 18, 2017 11:14 AM ET

Let’s say you’re a fairly competent dentist, in a fairly large city.

You went to dental school, did your residency, paid your dues. In time, you were able to open your own practice and grow your business to the point where you become profitable. People give you, mainly, solid to occasionally glowing reviews. You get referrals. Business is good.

And then, Dentist Magazine (I have no idea if there really is a Dentist Magazine) decides it’s going to rank the top 50 dentists in your hometown. The magazine comes out. Someone tells you about it. You don’t really care about it, because you’re actually, you know, dentist-ing. But you see a copy at the newsstand on the way to the subway and you thumb through it.

And you see you’re ranked … 37th.

Now, logically speaking, 37th isn’t bad. In fact, it’s very good, when you consider that there are hundreds of dentists in your town that didn’t even make the top 50. But you look through the list, and you can’t help it. I’m better than Johnson! He can’t fill a cavity like I can! And … Anderson? She has her assistant do all the work, her hands shake so bad! And I’d love to see Simmons do a root canal in less than three hours!! This is bogus!

But, your spouse says at home, the people at Dentist Magazine aren’t dentists. They just cover the industry. You shouldn’t take this so personally. They’re just writers. They don’t know what it takes to be a good dentist, to start a practice, or to make it profitable. Why do you care?

It’s hard to understand.

Why does Carmelo Anthony give the first damn that ESPN.com, in some click-bait collection on its website, has him 64th among NBA players in its ranking of the top 100 players, one spot below Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball? Why does any NBA player care where he’s ranked in SportsIllustrated.com’s top 100 list (SI is a corporate cousin of ours). Why do players get upset if they get a low NBA 2K rating (full disclosure: I’m in the video game, and they paid me for my time). It just, on first blush, makes no sense.

Anthony took to Twitter to express his anger, telling ESPN, “Don’t be so Blatant with the disrespect.” This, of course, drove people to the website, where they clicked on the story, thus helping ESPN drive more traffic to its site, and giving the network all kinds of fodder for its various shows where people disagree with one another about whatever’s going on that day.
    MORE AT THE LINK

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

MDA will give you better stats.

3. malakas

malakas Member

if they are upset they should make more alt accounts and flame espn on twitter and IG.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

OP is the saving grace of clutchfans.

Some users like carl are aggressively making troll threads and spamming our bbs where other users like HP are selfishly making ego-centric threads that are designed to farm likes.

Thank God there are still posters out there who just want to start quality threads without ulterior motives.

Os Trigonum and malakas like this.
  5. BackdoorHarden

you talking about Carl Herrera or that strange guy What

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They are both weird in their own ways

Add in @swyyuguy and you have a trifecta of weirdos running amok

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

I think it's gold he says it's click bait ESPN stuff :)

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

David Aldridge just called what he does 'click-bait'. (Slow Clap) Finally someone within that industry blows the lid off on exactly what they are. Con artists and money grubbing whores. Good for you David Aldridge! Bravo! No one SHOULD care about y'alls articles. I completely agree with you!