1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Ragone starting next week?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Baqui99, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

David Carr looked like he was in some serious pain after he took that hit following the 36 yard scramble. It was also very disturbing watching him grimace every time he threw the ball. It was a very courageous effort, but if he plays next week, he could seriously aggravate his injury.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2261134

Meanwhile, we drafted a QB in the 3rd round last year in hopes of developing him. I've only seen Dave Ragone play once in college, and that's when he beat Florida State in a dog fight last year. I wasn't overly impressed with the guy either. He has little or no mobility in the pocket. His throwing motion is awkward. Although he has above average arm strength, he's a lot like Chris Simms in that he locks onto receivers, and has difficulty locating the 2nd or 3rd option. Basically he's a raw QB talent with huge size (6'4, 250lbs) and a cannon arm.

Either way I say give him the rock, and avoid future damage to the franchise QB. The guy hasn't taken a snap all season long. Let's let him earn his paycheck and prove that he belongs in the NFL.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd rather lose with Ragone than lose Carr for an extended time. Let Quinn take back up reps.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

agreed!! It's not like we'd spoil our "playoff hopes." No sense in hurting ourselves NEXT year by not letting Carr recover.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Plus, what if the guy has a studly game? He could become very valuable trade bait. No downside that I can see.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Actually people were making comments about how Chris Palmer showcased Rob Johnson for Jax trade bait when we drafted Rangone.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

showcase Henson ;)

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ragone should start as we all know Carr agrivated his shoulder again and Quinn isn't ready...

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Ragone reminds me of Bucky Richardson. He can scramble though not fast, and he stays in the pocket trying to make something happen.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Carr is to Ragone as Pastorini was to Dickey