1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Matthews Concert

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Sep 13, 2000.

Tags:
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I figure there are probably lots of other big Dave fans here...so...did any of you make it to the concert last night?? What did you think??

I went last night and the last two years as well...Dave always puts on a good show, but last night, in my opinion, wasn't as good as the last two years. Last year in particular was great. He played a lot of his new stuff last night, which was fine...but I must admit I would have enjoyed more of his old favorites. He did cover Satellite, Crash, and some others though.

Anyway...just thought I'd ask.

By the way...the weather was awesome!! Light drizzle, a brisk breeze and cooler temperatures...along with a lightning show that seemed to be coordinated with the music!

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, I had tickets, but didn't go. A long story about me and my girlfriend (ex, but soon not to be)!

I will be there tonight, and I'll be honest, I'm not too excited. I mean, I'm one of his biggest fans, but the new album doesn't come out until December, so I won't know much of the newer songs.

I am happy he played those songs last night though. Chances are he won't play them tonight.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Umm...you mean chances are he will play the same songs again. Normally, bands do not change their song lists. They have their performances fine tuned with the lighting sequences and so forth. I have never known any bigger bands playing bigger venues to change their song lists from one night to the next. Smaller club bands may do this but stadium bands...never have I seen them change their song lists from one night to the next....not even their encores. I think your dreaming if you think their not going to play those same songs again. It will be the same show. They usually even say the same things when talking to the fans between songs.

------------------

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You've obviously never been to a Dave show. That's why they have such a huge following, along with bands like Phish and Widespread Panic, the shows are never the same.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

5. MadMax

For the most part you're right..but not with Dave. His shows do change from night to night...at least they did last year. His show in Dallas was totally different from his show in Houston, and they were on consecutive nights.

Rocketman -- I'm just happy we've finally found something we agree on!! Nice to know you're a Dave fan!! what's your fave Dave song..mine is Two Step.

------------------

6. Surfguy

At least somebody is doing it...I've been to plenty of back-to-backs in different cities. I've seen a Dave Mathews concert...on TV [​IMG].

That's cool that he does that. I don't like the band enough to go to the show, however. I only liked the Crash CD...that rocked.

------------------

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Surfguy, here you go:
    http://www.dmband.com/road/SetlistsDir/setlist.asp

[​IMG]

MadMax, that's great, we're Rocket fans and Dave fans, that whole conservative/liberal thing doesn't even matter. Hell, I even like most of the lawyers I know.

My favorite is #41, which I've never seen live, and am sad to say that he played last night. [​IMG]

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

8. Surfguy

Well, the one thing that sucks about changing the set lists are the same things you'll are griping about. One night some of the songs you wanted to hear might be played and the next...they won't. It's cool if you feel like commuting to another city to see another set list.

Sounds like a scam to me...seems like it would leave some fans complaining because such-and-such song was played in Dallas but not in Houston. Oh...you'll are already doing that [​IMG]. Maybe they should publish their set lists ahead of the concerts so you can pick the one you want to go to and pick the city...if your a big enough fan. Or maybe they just don't know what their going to play until that night? Now, if it were Jimi Hendrix, I don't think I would care what he would play...as long as he lit his guitar on fire [​IMG].

------------------

9. MadMax

Rocketman -- you like lawyers?? Hell, even I don't like lawyers!!!

My wife's favorite is #41. I'd have to say that's in my top 5. His version of that last night was amazing. They went on and on, with lots of solos. Fantastic.

------------------

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Surf,

Bob Dylan picks what songs he will play while onstage!!! And he has so many great songs, none of his fans are disappointed.

Btw, Jimi only lit his guitar on fire once.
    It was during his first US concert (Monterey Pop Festival)

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

11. Surfguy

Don't get me wrong...I like the idea. But, you know how most bands are these days with their elaborate stage shows, light shows, laser shows, smoke bombs, fire crackers, etc.. They could never pull off playing whatever they felt like at that moment. I kind of wish they would. Some bands I would like to see do this are Rush and Metallica among others. They can take all their stage show cinematics and barf em all too hell. They should even let fans shout what they want to hear. I know Metallica did a thing where you voted on the Internet what songs you wanted them to play but that was a one time deal. Shows that are dynamic and always changing should be the norm...not the exception...even if it does turn off fans. Not only for the fans, but for those playing the music. I would HATE to play the same stuff in the same order with the same boredom night in and night out. The idea is to keep it fresh. Most bands keep it stale.
    They honestly don't have a clue. Now, if were talking Pink Floyd, they can do what they want because we expect the visuals and we expect certain songs out of them ALWAYS. I wonder if their still a band or are ever gonna tour again(not Roger Waters but Dave Gilmour)?

Glad to see Bob Dylan figured this out before all the rest probably. Dave Mathews had the right idea, too, along with those other bands mentioned. Too bad Jimi didn't burn his guitars more often...I can think of several other items he was burning [​IMG].

------------------

12. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

To Those of You Who Went --

How does the new stuff sound? I've been a closet Dave fan almost since the bands inception but BTCS frightened me -- I'm really not cool with direction Dave's taken.

"Crush", however, is by far my favorite song. Anyone seen the video? It rawks...

------------------
    It doesn't matter if I have a signature!

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love the new stuff. It sounds stupid, but it sounds like there just going back to being them. Don't get me wrong, I loved the last two studio albums, but it looks like they're going back to the sound of the first major album.

Last night was amazing. Ants Marching and Jimi Thing were outstanding, as were One Sweet World and The Song That Jane Likes.

The coolest part though was that Carter was wearing an Astros jersey.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

14. BobFinn*

Jimi Thing? Never heard it, does it rock?

------------------

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh yeah. #9 on Under the Table and Dreaming. One of my favorites!

Actually, it rocks in that it's a great song. It doesn't rock in that it rocks.

Whatever.

[​IMG]
    ------------------

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited September 14, 2000).]

16. BobFinn*

I will have to check it out, thanks RM95

------------------

17. MadMax

Carter wore an Astros jersey?? That's so awesome!! Wish I could have seen that!!

I liked what I heard of their new stuff. There's a really good article about them in today's Chronicle that talks a bit about the direction they're taking.

I like when musicians take directions that seem unordinary for them. Sting is a great example. He left the very successful Police to establish a solo career that has included bits of world, country, jazz and other forms. Yes his music sounds different than it did from my favorite all time song, "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic." But it's cool to see the progression of his body of work over the course of his lifetime.

------------------

18. Surfguy

Ten bucks says he wears a Stars jersey at one of the Dallas shows [​IMG].

Like I care.

------------------

19. BobFinn*

Just grabbed a live version of Jimi Thing off of napster, very good tune. It does rock

------------------

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I will be in attendance for one of his two Dallas shows this Sat. night.

Gotta love DMB.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."